Attachment storage?

/ Attachment storage?
Not having my PT yet, are the controls that touchy that you can just go around destroying racks?

Seems like leaving the attachments outside works just fine, but I don't know that the Warden will allow for that. I'm liking the thought of the exterior access storage via a lean-to or whatever attached to the garage. Will just have to get the extra-beefy shelves.

/ Attachment storage? #23  
It is just easy not to realize you are already resting on the shelf and there is a lot of potential force since you can lift the front of your tractor with the FEL. Extra-beefy shelves had better mean something like a pallet rack etc. "Normal" heavy duty shelves would not work. To be clear, I stored my bush hog, 2 different mini hoes, stump grinder, LMT and grapple bucket on my pallet rack for four or more years. The access is now usually blocked by a trailer so I only have rarely used items on it. I have been surprised at how little the implements rust (the attachment plate being the most likely to rust) but most are stored on top of pallets. BTW, if you find you bust the boards on a wooden pallet when lowering implements onto them, do not try a pallet rack!!!

Ken

/ Attachment storage? #24  
Not having my PT yet, are the controls that touchy that you can just go around destroying racks?

My PT425 weighs about 1500# with me on it. Since I can lift the front of the tractor off the ground with the lift arms without even noticing any strain on the machine (its that powerful), and figuring the mower deck is my heaviest implement at probably 200#, so that's about 1700#. Most of that weight is ahead of the back tires, so my best guess is about 1300-1400# pressing down on a shelf if I'm not careful. Figure the shelf has to span greater than 5' to fit the 60" mower deck, so let's say 6' wide shelf that has to support 1400# minimum.... If the shelf is flimsy, its gonna bend. :)

And that's just the little 400 series unit.

Conversely, if you hook an attachment under a shelf, don't notice, and attempt to lift, it'll either lift your entire shelving unit, break the shelf above the attachment, or lift the rear of the machine off the ground. And you might not notice that, as well, as the machine has plenty of power to lift the rears off the ground without the operator noticing. ;)

/ Attachment storage?
That just furthers my decision that the 425 is the right choice for what I need... I might go around smashing shelves just because I can

/ Attachment storage? #26  
My PT425 weighs about 1500# with me on it. Since I can lift the front of the tractor off the ground with the lift arms without even noticing any strain on the machine (its that powerful), and figuring the mower deck is my heaviest implement at probably 200#, so that's about 1700#. Most of that weight is ahead of the back tires, so my best guess is about 1300-1400# pressing down on a shelf if I'm not careful. Figure the shelf has to span greater than 5' to fit the 60" mower deck, so let's say 6' wide shelf that has to support 1400# minimum.... If the shelf is flimsy, its gonna bend. :)

And that's just the little 400 series unit.

Conversely, if you hook an attachment under a shelf, don't notice, and attempt to lift, it'll either lift your entire shelving unit, break the shelf above the attachment, or lift the rear of the machine off the ground. And you might not notice that, as well, as the machine has plenty of power to lift the rears off the ground without the operator noticing. ;)

I can see I need to beef up my rack. I have been using it about 10 years and am pretty careful about not putting much down force. However, I have been using the PT 422 for 16 years. A new user might not be as controlled. I think I will parallel another 2 x 4 with the one I have. If I make it wider, I won't have enough height on the top one. The bottom one could handle a 2 x 6.

/ Attachment storage? #27  
I can see I need to beef up my rack. I have been using it about 10 years and am pretty careful about not putting much down force. However, I have been using the PT 422 for 16 years. A new user might not be as controlled. I think I will parallel another 2 x 4 with the one I have. If I make it wider, I won't have enough height on the top one. The bottom one could handle a 2 x 6.

Ok, I beefed up my rack. No pictures since it looks the same.

/ Attachment storage? #28  
I store my tractor with grapple and rear blade under cover in a carport. The chipper & mower are in another stall in the carport. The plow, bucket, LPGS, disk harrow are all in a row on pallets out on the far edge of the lawn. Thats the best I can do with what I currently have. Powered stuff under cover - non-powered stuff outside.