Attachment too large

/ Attachment too large #11  
HST or gear does not change the way a clutch works. Only what the clutch works. Once that clutch locks up, you can load that tractor as much as the engine can deliver and not hurt the clutch.

Now if you have to run higher RPMs or slip the clutch to get the blower going without stalling the engine, then yes you will damage the clutch.

/ Attachment too large
HST or gear does not change the way a clutch works. Only what the clutch works. Once that clutch locks up, you can load that tractor as much as the engine can deliver and not hurt the clutch.

Now if you have to run higher RPMs or slip the clutch to get the blower going without stalling the engine, then yes you will damage the clutch.
Yes. I meant the pto clutch. When stopping pto with the momentum of blower rotating it was mentioned you should idle down before pushing in the clutch so the blower don’t want to keep rotating so fast, over running the sprag clutch. Though it still must do it somewhat because when it has nothing attached on it the pto will stop pretty quick but with a slow rotating blower on it will rotate a little longer.
Honestly I don’t know.

/ Attachment too large #15  
Yes. I meant the pto clutch. When stopping pto with the momentum of blower rotating it was mentioned you should idle down before pushing in the clutch so the blower don’t want to keep rotating so fast, over running the sprag clutch. Though it still must do it somewhat because when it has nothing attached on it the pto will stop pretty quick but with a slow rotating blower on it will rotate a little longer.
Honestly I don’t know.

If that is your only concern then you could add a overrun clutch to your PTO. Then your PTO on the tractor can stop but the blower can keep winding down. However, I would still always idle down before clutching the tractor.

/ Attachment too large
If that is your only concern then you could add a overrun clutch to your PTO. Then your PTO on the tractor can stop but the blower can keep winding down. However, I would still always idle down before clutching the tractor.

Well it has a sprag clutch internally which is essentially the same thing. I’m not sure if over running it a lot by not reducing pto rpm first causes faster premature wear or not. Also, kind of curious if lack of use on the same clutch can cause failure either. Like to know more about it really. Now I do clutch in the pto at low idle snd once rotating I increase rpm. Decrease pto rpm before pushing in clutch. It was just mentioned that the over sized attachment will make the clutch slip and cause premature wear.

/ Attachment too large #17  
Yes, I understand you have a one in the tractor. However, if you use something like the one I posted for the blower it will protect the one in your tractor.

/ Attachment too large #18  
With 22hp what is the machine really rated for a 5ft blower? Are you really going to see that much more wear for such a short period of time with a 1ft wider blower? The auger width difference most likely makes very little difference and the actual impeller could only be a few inches bigger. So then your really left with how big of a cut in the snow your going to make. Just dont lower the blower all the way down.

/ Attachment too large #19  
My biggest concern would be engaging and disengaging the clutch. That is the most wear on any type clutch. If you always do that at idle or just above with no load, I think it will be fine. Once it is locked up it should kill the engine before the clutch slips.
I have to agree with this one.

I don't see you harming the clutch by engaging it at idle. Once it's fully engaged I think you would kill the engine before you could harm the clutch. You don't make enough hp to be able to drive the pto output hard enough to slip against the load on the blower. If you push the blower into heavy snow it will just bog down the engine and probably kill it.

As long as you can engage the clutch with the engine at or near idle, and you don't have to slowly slip the clutch to get it fully engaged against the stationary blower and it's initial resistance to movement, you should be fine. I can't see disengaging the clutch causing any harm as long as you're also not slipping the clutch slowly as it separates from the load.

If you do end up stalling out the engine due to too much load in the snowblower, make sure you don't restart and re-engage the clutch if the blower is sitting there packed up hard with snow. That will probably slip the clutch as it tried to get the extra load of the blower + packed up snow moving again. You'd want to dig out the clogged snow before re-engaging the pto drive.

/ Attachment too large
Yeah. I normally only ever took partial cuts. I’m like you fellows.