Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn???

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
I have a BX 2200 and would like to buy the equipment required for fertilizing and weed control. I pay a landscaper $1400 a season to do my 2 acres. I figured I can buy the equipment for about the cost of one season and do it myself, not to mention more seat time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I was thinking of a 3-point spreader and a tank sprayer. Question is what equipment to buy? What would fit on a BX2200 and what can I expect to pay, and web sites that carry the equipment?. I have looked at Nothertool web site and they have some sprayers, are they any good? Any web sites for information on how to apply the fertilizer and weed killer? I see HomeDepot has a lot of fertilizers, etc. OR should I just leave it to the landscaper??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif TBN I need your help.

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #2  
Tom, I have a similar situation to yours and the cost of having my lawns treated by a contractor (I think they do it four times a season) is less than what it would cost me for the materials.

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn???
HWP,

They come 6 times a year plus one lime application, so $200 an application. I figure if I can buy the fertilzer for $100-125, I would save that $$ times x number of years. BUT you do have a point on the cost. If I buy name brand stuff, like Scotts, I would spend every bit of $200 to do it. Thanks for the comment.

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #4  
Tom,
I spray once a year for weeds on my 5 acres with a large (300gal.) sprayer that my neighbor owns. Cost to kill the weeds is $30.00 for the year. As for fertilizer go to where the farmers buy theirs for the fields. They will be able to sell you the right mix that you need in bulk! You will save a bundle! I did this once and used a 3pt. spreader. Cost for the fertilizer was about $50.00. Problem was it wouldn't stop growing and I had to cut it every few days! I guess it liked it!

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #6  
Spreader link

I use one of these but it is the bigger ones that I use on a Kubota L3010 and I have no problems I even seeded 15 acres of hay last fall. I think the mini spreader would would be a good size for the BX series tractors.

Jack

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #7  
Tom.

Look at this link Herd Seeder Link . I bought the M-96 3 point from them and I love it. It is light and will hold about 2-1/2 bags of fertilizer. It will spread different types of seed and fertilizer. I purchased it for about $300.00 I use it with my 29 hp and my neighbor uses it with his 20 hp tractor. I spread fertilizer about 6 times a year.

I also had a sprayer made for my ATV but now am making a base for a 3 point hitch. It has an electric pump on it with a 15 foot boom. I will keep the electric pump until the day the pump goes out, then I will buy a pump for the PTO.

Murph

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #8  
you might want to look at a company like Agri Supply, www.Agri-Supply.com or 1-800-345-0169
They have a 55 gallon 3pt sprayer for 399.95 less the pump which is about 85.00 and a 350 lb spreader for 239.95 which would probably be a good size for your tractor. The 600lb is only 10 dollars more, but may be too large. They also ship to your door for reasonable prices. It doesn't take to long for the equipment to pay for itself. Hope this helps

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn??? #9  
You need the Herd M-96 spreader. You also need a Furest flexible tine harrow. I have seen any number of 3-point tank sparayers but have not bought one yet. You might also look into the aerator threads--I have a 48 inch First Choice.
The Herd M-96 will do most of what you need and fits the BX like it was made for it. You do have to trim the PTO shaft but that is the way it is with such equipment on most all tractors. J

/ Attachments For Fertilizing A Lawn???
Trescows,

The aerator is on the list already, wish I had the $$ when Carver had the sale last fall. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My lawn fertilizer company wanted $1200 to aerate and overseed the front lawn, about3/4 of an acre. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I told wife, let me buy the aerator and we can pay for it with the $$ for the first application and I can do the entire property.

Thanks for the recommendations, keep them coming!

Regarding the farm fertilize, do they sell it by the bag or loose and you get a pick up truck full?