Attachments for lawn care.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #11  
As suggested see your County Extension Agent. I have had mine tested at the State University (Here it is the University of Florida) The Agent will more than likey provide you with the soil sample container and mailing address. Incidently, the Agent can do many very good things for you and you should use that office. Visit them! You will see what I mean.
Leo

/ Attachments for lawn care. #12  
2,4-d is a broadleaf weed herbicide.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #13  
I have found that the lawn maintenance companies take care of fertilizing my lawns (about 2 acres) for less than I can buy the fertilizer, I do my own aeration spring and fall with a tow-behind aerator. I put a hydraulic cylinder on it to raise and lower the transport wheels which makes it much easier to use. The most useful thing I did was put a hydraulic motor on the dishcarge deflector of the mower deck so that I can lift and drop the deflector on the fly as I mow around trees, gardens, etc. in the lawns.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #14  
I use a 25 gallon sprayer with a gas engine. I think the one with the 12 volt motor would be better (easier to shut off for areas you don't want to spray) but I got a good deal on this used one. I actually have been wanting to spray since spring but for one reason or another haven't. I am hoping to do it tomorrow morning. I was using a broadleaf weed killer from a local golf course but the price has doubled since I started using it so I now use 2-4-D. I sometimes use Scotts, fertilizer only, around the house. Usually buy about 2-3 of the large bags & put it down with a tow behind broadcast spreader. I just saw the liquid fertilizer at TSC but haven't tried it or read much about it yet. Aereating is on the list but I haven't found a rental place that carries a 3 pt. aereator & I don't want to invest in a new one.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #15  
I believe 2-4-d is the generic name for this. It's commonly found in "Weed b gon" available in kmart or Walmart. check with your farm supply store. 2-4d has been around longer than I have.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #16  
Around here at Farm and Fleet it's called "trimec" and it's about 1/2 the price of the weed-b-gon in 1 gallon containers. (1 ounce per gallon, so you get 128 gallons for $17)

Regards,
Dave

/ Attachments for lawn care. #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( what is 2-4d? I have not heard of this before. )</font>

FYI - 2-4-D is the active ingredient in a wide variety of herbicides. It is safe and effective. I have included an excerpt from a web site talking about 2-4-D. It is great for use on lawns, especially if you have a broadleaf problem. As with any herbicide, it is important to follow the instructions.

INDUSTRY TASK FORCE II ON
2,4-D RESEARCH DATA
Welcome to the Industry Task Force II on 2,4-D Research Data Web Site.

2,4-D, a member of the phenoxy family of herbicides, was the first successful selective herbicide developed. It was introduced in 1946, and rapidly became the most widely used herbicide in the world.

A selective herbicide is one that controls weeds in a crop without damaging that crop.

After 50 years of use, 2,4-D is still the third most widely used herbicide in the United States and Canada, and the most widely used worldwide. Its major uses in agriculture are on wheat and small grains, sorghum, corn, rice, sugar cane, low-till soybeans, rangeland, and pasture. It is also used on rights-of-way, roadsides, non-crop areas, forestry, lawn and turf care, and on aquatic weeds. A recently published eight-year U.S Department of Agriculture study (NAPIAP Report NO. 1-PA-96) concluded that, should 2,4-D no longer be available, the cost to growers and other users, in terms of higher weed control expenses, and to consumers, in the form of higher food and fiber prices, would total $1,683 million annually in the U.S. alone. The study also reviewed the 2,4-D epidemiology and toxicology data packages and concluded (page2) that after 50 years of extensive use, "The phenoxy herbicides are low in toxicity to humans and animals (1,9). No scientifically documented health risks, either acute or chronic, exist from the approved uses of the phenoxy herbicides."

A study entitled. "An economic assessment of the benefits of 2,4-D in Canada" done in 1988 under Canadian Government sponsorship, concluded that the net benefits of 2,4-D in Canada totaled a third of a billon dollars annually. A worldwide study of the benefits of 2,4-D measured in terms of increased food production and lower food prices has never been done, although those benifits are known to be enormous. 2,4-D has for the past fifty years, been a major tool in the continuing fight to reduce world hunger.

2,4-D is the most thoroughly researched herbicide in the world.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #18  
Wow Guys. Thanks for the info. I have not used much in the way of weed control before but I will be soon. great info EdwardB.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #19  
Usually your local agriculture extension agent