Attachments vs Inline Picts?

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #21  
I'm in the same category as Bird. Occasionally, I get some down time & can read TBN from work where there are buckets-o-bandwidth. In that case, inline all you want. I can breeze through 100's of TBN messages in a flash.

However, when I'm at home, the "best" I can get is 26K, usually 24K, and sometimes less than 20K. Sometimes, I'm in a lower category than the cans and string that Bird uses /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif (smoke signals anyone?).

So, my ideal preference would be a way to turn off inline images. It's easy to reight-click on an attachment and have it show in another window. Do it all the time...

The GlueGuy

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #22  
There really are two "worlds" we all inhabit here, and they aren't going to agree---high bandwidth and 56K.

Although many more people in general (and TBN visitors) now have various flavors of high speed (cable modem, DSL, wireless, etc.) the fact is that even today around 70% of all who accesss the Net do so at 56K.

I have a T-1 at work and 56K at home (way out in the bojacks, too, like Bird). So I know the thrill of high speed, and the agony of those frozen screens of "pics." The recent move to a new server has allowed a truly remarkable increase in speed in general, but especially on my home 56K line. Other than the pics, the screen loads are astonishingly fast. I visit here more often, view more files, and hypotehtically anyway, learn more. I know it is infinitely more enjoyable with more speed.

It is going to be quite a while before that 70% statistic changes significantly (maybe 5 years). In the meantime, Muhammad should "allow" pics and sigs and things like that, but try as much as possible for those who are limited in speed to turn them off, or only view those that are of specific interest to them.

Bird, maybe we ought to take up a collection for you --- I see a Dell Dimension 1Ghz is only $800 bucks. With 2,500 registered members, that is only .32 cents each. Even with a slower modem speed, a fast computer would make an enormous difference over a 3-5 year old machine. I personally feel guilty thinking of you sitting there all day and night long, posting for our benefit. A couple of days ago, I noted you made 20 posts. Jeez!

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts?
<font color=blue>a Dell Dimension 1Ghz is only $800</font color=blue>

Better add another $125 for the 3-pt adapter. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #24  
<font color=blue>Bird, maybe we ought to take up a collection for you</font color=blue>

Hey, I'm in favor of that./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif My old 300mhz IBM is only about 4 years old./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And I've really been spending a lot of time here in front of it lately; too hot to want to get outside except early in the morning, grass is drying up so don't have to mow as often, and the garden is through for the year so fortunately, I can stay in where it's cool./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #25  
I have a T something line at work and a 56K modem at home, which has never logged on through my ISP at more than 49K. I really dont notice much of a difference.

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #26  
Your line at work must be split between many stations. A T1 split between 30 stations is less than 52k...

msig.gif

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #27  
Maybe that's it. I guess the more important point I was making is that the downloads on this site seem just fine at the 45 to 49K at which I usually log on. Maybe I dont know what I'm missing with a cable modem, but I do know what I'm missing at 24K, because I used to have it. And I dont miss it.

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #28  
I am with glennmac on this issue, don't hook our plow to the slowest horse.
I log on at 40-42K and love the pictures.
Those of you with slower connections can by pass the automatic picture download by going into your browser tool option list and uncheck download pictures.
I suggest that if the pictures were included in line with the text and also as an attachment,(post the picture first as an attachment and then go back in and edit the text to include the image location of the attachment) the connectivedly challanged wouldn't be slowed down by the inline picture and they could still click on the attachment.
Now that is a good compromise if I say so myself.
As my Dad use to say At a boy son

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 (15 hrs) All Kubota FEL,Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)
1984 JD 316 after 687 hrs.

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts? #29  
Harv,

Sometime ago I think I won the slowest link on the board, but on this one I think I sorta side with Glenn. I do like the inline pictures. Although I would probably be looking at the slowest horse to plow if I'm the one walking behind him./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Al

/ Attachments vs Inline Picts?
Al -

We're just taking a pulse here, so it doesn't matter how fast it's beating. Obviously there are good reasons to have it both ways, so I'm betting that if Muhammad can work it into one of the next revisions, he will provide some sort of option that will make TBN viewing a pleasant experience for everyone.

Seems to be a pattern with him, have you noticed? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif