ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank #11  
That sensor is used to advance timing in the injection pump for cold weather starting, which helps emissions.

This is the answer.

In my thread that you referenced, I mentioned I left switch unplugged until September and then changed it. Tractor started fine in warm weather and new switch made it start fine in cold weather.

By the way, the new switch is 3 ft lbs so finger tighten only or you'll be buying two of them. They break real easy.

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank #12  
This is the answer.

In my thread that you referenced, I mentioned I left switch unplugged until September and then changed it. Tractor started fine in warm weather and new switch made it start fine in cold weather.

By the way, the new switch is 3 ft lbs so finger tighten only or you'll be buying two of them. They break real easy.

Yep, found that out the hard way:ashamed:

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank
Here's the link to the part: John Deere - Parts Catalog
It's part #7, Temp Switch.

BTW, it's under "Engine, injector pump." It is not shown in the cooling system parts. :confused:

Went today and picked one up. $58 is the current price.

I still don't understand why JD doesn't FIX this! The parts man at the local dealership asked me, "Did you blow the 30 amp ignition switch fuse?" "Then, yep, you need one of these." :mad:

Thanks to all of you!:thumbsup: It's great to have a resource like this. Without your help, I'd be dead in the water. I appreciate all of you who have BTDT and are willing to share your experiences. There's no telling how much money you have saved me.

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank #14  
Small point here but was that a 20 amp or 30 amp fuse. Everyone else seems to have a 20 amp fuse bow.
Just checking.

Glad it's fixed.

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank #15  
Here's the link to the part: John Deere - Parts Catalog
It's part #7, Temp Switch.

BTW, it's under "Engine, injector pump." It is not shown in the cooling system parts. :confused:

Went today and picked one up. $58 is the current price.

A part# would be nice. Can't seem to find it under "Engine, injector pump."

Thank you,
David

Small point here but was that a 20 amp or 30 amp fuse. Everyone else seems to have a 20 amp fuse bow.
Just checking.

Glad it's fixed.
On my 2010 5085M, it's a 30 amp. Haven't had that problem on the 5083e yet, so I'm not sure if it's a 20 or a 30.

. . . A part# would be nice. Can't seem to find it under "Engine, injector pump."

Thank you,
David
The JD part # is RE503242.
I just did a search on the web, and the best price that I found was $49, +S/H. I wish that I could find another source. I'd like to have one in reserve, since I own two tractors with this sensor.
I don't know why the page from the parts catalog won't copy and paste???
Anyway, type in "5085M" in the search box for "model"
Click on "Sectional Index"
Click on "Engine 4054HLV54"
Click on "16AH Injection Pump"
It's item# 7, Temperature Switch

Hope that helps

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank #18  
The price seems to be all over the place. I have heard as low as $42 and I have also heard over $70. Even so, I wouldn't buy one until I needed it since the tractor will run without it, it's just harder to start if it's cold. I have also seen mentioned a couple of times that they will quit and then work again--and then quit again, and then work. So it's possible that just unplugging it and plugging it back it might get it working again for a while. I wonder if bad contacts contribute to failure? When it warms up I may put a little dialectric grease on the plug.

The price seems to be all over the place. I have heard as low as $42 and I have also heard over $70. Even so, I wouldn't buy one until I needed it since the tractor will run without it, it's just harder to start if it's cold. I have also seen mentioned a couple of times that they will quit and then work again--and then quit again, and then work. So it's possible that just unplugging it and plugging it back it might get it working again for a while. I wonder if bad contacts contribute to failure? When it warms up I may put a little dialectric grease on the plug.
Agreed. With the price running $50+, I won't buy one until I need it. I was just thinking if I could get one for $20 or so, I would have it on hand. The closest JD dealer to me is 50 miles. BTW, I keep replacement filters on hand for my tractors and trucks.

As far as one of these sensors "healing" itself, I just don't believe it. When it fails, it creates a dead short. That's why it blows the fuse.

/ ATTENTION! 5085M (5000 series) blows ignition switch fuse and won't crank #20  
Haven't checked in for a spell... Glad to see that there's still good opportunities to learn a few things on the site. This post is a very important one as I hate yanking out what hair I have left!

Blowing fuses @ minus temps with mysterious causes is a definite situation for hair loss and cussing!

Regards.