Attn: BX owners

/ Attn: BX owners #1  

Grantslicker

Tractor
Kubota BX1850
Sorry, this is for plastic BX tractors and newer. (2005? and up)
Please look at the photos on the attachment and then inspect your headlamps/headlights for the same cracks. This headlight assembly costs $170 and is a bear to install, I am on my 3rd set of headlights and I know of others who have had theirs fall out also. This is from vibration only.
Kubota says that I am the only one having this issue and I dont believe it for a minute.
Please respond if you have this issue.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Cracked Headlight Assembly BX1850.pdf
    895.4 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
   / Attn: BX owners #2  
I have one of the first BXs made (11 years) and have not experienced this.

Edit: for the record, that statement was NOT in your original post. If it had been, I would not have replied. You addressed your original post to BX owners. When someone replies to your OP, then you edit the OP, it can cause the reply to seem nonsensical. I would recommend that you either clarify yourself in a later post, or indicate within the OP (not just in a tag at the end) that you are editing it based on a subsequent reply (just like you see me doing right here).

Last edited:
   / Attn: BX owners #3  
It's just your model run that was plastic . They're steel again now .......

Fuse it all together with an ounce or two of resin-type ;

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Laybond/FXARS.pdf

That'll stop any articulation at that point . The design is poor , but that
doesn't mean you'll get any satisfaction from Kubota Corp. Fix it and
forget it . We've all had to do something like this with stuff over the
years ; JBL , Audio Research Corp , JohnDeere Walkbehinds ... blah , blah.
It's a part of buying and living ....... don't lose sleep mate

Last edited:
   / Attn: BX owners #4  
So far my BX 23 has not had that problem.

/ Attn: BX owners #7  
I admit- your post had me go out and take a look at my BX24. I don't have any cracks, and the it appears to be plastic too. I was wondering what in the heck would make it crack and all I can think of is excessive play in the hinge system for hood. Mine appears to have no play side to side.

One thing I did noticed that I didnt realized till now, On the ends of the headlight appears to have worn rubbing that may poke a hole in some day in future in headlight dome. It looks like the bonnet was rubbing it and I checked to see if bonnet was tight and moved all the way forward to seat and it was. I only can conclude that it was from shaking of engine when shut off. Perhaps yours keeps breaking since there is no space between bonnet tabs and headlight dome cracking it in middle since mine rubbed away already providing this cushioned space?
I think I am going to make it my next project to grind away the bonnet tab a little to stop any more rubbings.

Attachments

• pointing to rubbing marks.jpg
    pointing to rubbing marks.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 522
  • other rubbing marks.jpg
    other rubbing marks.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 398
   / Attn: BX owners #8  

This is the other place where you can clarify yourself. The above quote is something you added to your original post after my reply in post #2 of this thread. I know you were trying to clarify yourself, but if you do that by modifying your original post, you can make the replies below your OP seem absurd. If your original post had indicated 2005 and later, I would not have replied regarding a year 2000 tractor. The way you modified your OP makes it seem like I don't even know that 2000 comes before 2005. I do have my senior moments, but it isn't quite that bad yet! If you are going to modify the OP for clarification based on feedback from a following post, please indicate that within the body of the post (not just in an end tag) when you make the change. Otherwise, just make clarification in a subsequent post.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

/ Attn: BX owners #9  
OK I just came in from checking my light assembly on my BX2660. It is also cracked in the same area of the mounting bolt. I might try some JB weld and re-install using rubber washers. I will not pay $150.00 for a new part.

/ Attn: BX owners #10  
Hi Grantslicker. I just discovered the exact same problem on my 16 month old BX 2350. The cracking is in a fan pattern just like yours and appears to be fatigue/stress related.

I found your post after doing a search to see if I am the only one. It seems like something that should be covered under warranty. Were you within the warranty period? If so, did they cover it? I plan to ask my dealer about this but figured I'd see how other fared. Thanks.