ATV rear cargo carrier build

/ ATV rear cargo carrier build #1  

DanMc77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD 2210, JD 332
In this thread, I'll cover how a rear carrier is built from white pine lumber milled from our land up in NH. When bouncing around with the ATV, carrying tools and supplies, I have grown tired of the 5 gallon bucket that I have strapped to the back of the machine and wanted a larger cargo capacity without modifying the stock carrier deck. I’ve seen a number of carriers built by others online, and while I’m sure they are very functional, they are square boxes with sharp corners. I wanted something that follows the contours of the rear carrier deck, and is easy to install and remove from the machine, and is neat looking.

I have a small manual Woodland mills HM-126 saw mill, so there's a lot of dry wood sitting all over the place, and hefty pieces to choose from. I have some 16” wide 1” thick planks, and some 11” planks, a full 2” thick. The 1” wood is good for the bottom, the 2” material can be resawed to form the contoured perimeter of the carrier. My 18” band saw is capable of 9 ½”+ depth of cut to resaw, so that’s how deep the carrier will be. Before we had kids, I used to build RC airplanes from balsa, so gluing together irregular wood pieces and then contouring them is a pretty familiar thing to me. For most of the assembly, 30 minute epoxy will be used. The 30 minutes gives ample time to get everything arranged and held together securely before it sets up.

Here’s the base with the first contoured piece resawed from 2” white pine stock. The 2” material is good in that it provides a reasonable area to rest on the bandsaw table and stay vertical. But before resawing, each piece was run across the jointer to make sure that the side was perfectly square, and the bandsaw table fine-tuned so it’s also perfectly square.

Attachments

• IMG_9722.jpg
    IMG_9722.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
   / ATV rear cargo carrier build
Resawing on the bandsaw. I have never used this saw to cut this kind of depth, so it was a new thing for me. I'm very pleased with the performance and results. This is a Grizzly 18" band saw that I picked up a long time ago. It's not the best quality machine out there, but it has served me very well all these years.

Attachments

• IMG_9725.jpg
    IMG_9725.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9726.jpg
    IMG_9726.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 117
Gluing up the side sections goes one section at a time, doing final shaping to make sure that the joints are reasonably tight. A perfect fit is not necessary since the epoxy does an excellent job of filling voids. Sometimes you have to get creative with use of the clamps to get the pressure needed to pull things in. When I look closely at this pic, it looks like I have clamps pulling on other clamps and right now am not sure why, but when you're trying to close up gaps sometimes you have to grab onto whatever is there to pull on.

I always tell my son-in-laws that you can never have too many clamps, so they always get a couple new clamps every Christmas. It's now a bit of running joke for us.

Attachments

• IMG_9729.jpg
    IMG_9729.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
This post gets me caught up to where the project is at this morning. There are just two more sections to glue in, and then I'll be ready to start shaping the exterior with a belt sander. I'll use a small router to round the edges over and then do some sanding with an orbital sander. I'll have to sharpen up a chisel to clean up some of the joints on the inside, but I'm not going to be super particular about an interior that looks perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 118
   / ATV rear cargo carrier build #5  
Eye will Be Watching.jpg

/ ATV rear cargo carrier build #6  
Nice, you can never have too much space for work stuff!

All glued up. Now there's a lot of shaping and sanding coming up. Incidently, I love this Ryobi belt sander. It has a square body that can easily be clamped in a vise for use as a fixed tool, and it is compact for getting into tight spaces. Sadly, it looks like Ryobi no longer sells this model. I bought this a very long time ago.

Gluing complete.jpg

Last edited:
   / ATV rear cargo carrier build #8  
You are definitely a skilled craftsman with wood!

I would be tempted to do a fiberglass overlay when done so it stays waterproof and lasts longer, but that's just me. I think I would also consider some drain ports in the bottom in case you have to drain out some rain water or for cleaning/rinsing it out.

I don't know if you fish farm ponds, but man, adding a 4-rod rodholder rack on the back would definitely be something I'd add! It would be good to hold hammers and other similar sized tools when not holding fishing rods. The sky's the limit on this build, very nice!

Yes, once the wood is brought to final shape, then I have glass cloth that will go around the outside. Epoxy joints like I have done will have a tendency to crack, so the glass will hopefully keep that from happening.

I'll have to add some kind of mount on the back for carrying a chain saw, could be as simple as a block with a slot to slide the bar down into.

Last edited: