Auger w/extension

Last one

David

Attachments

• 793260-CIMG0119sm.jpg
    793260-CIMG0119sm.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 291
   / Auger Extension #12  
This is really a good idea. I'm wondering though - was the soil such that you were able to dig reasonably and not shear pins at all - you'd think with that extension on it that it would more pressure on the shear pin (well, really the bolt) overall as it's longer.

Good idea though!

-Bob

/ Auger Extension #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have to sink nine 4in pipes 56 inches deep in 12 inch holes as supports for my tractor/utility shed. Requirement is 1/2 the above ground height has to be in the ground (112 / 2 = 56). These are 12in diameter holes and will be filled with concrete.)</font>

Good Heavens man! Why so deep?
Now don't go trying to tell me it's due to the frost line. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Auger Extension
Bob

Actually, we busted 1 shear bolt (drive shaft) in the entire process and that was on a test hole, teaching my wife how to controls worked. We hit a rock, and it was just the auger without the extension.

Interesting, I had designed the extension to use two 1/2 bolts at each connection point, which is way more than on the shaft connection. Being as it was such a chore to add/remove the extension for each hole, I only used a single bolt at the auger connection point and no problem. Thankfully, we didn't hit any rocks. The clay soil was so moist that it would only clump, but not be expelled from hole. Using a narror blade shovel, I actually let the auger deposit the clumps onto the shovel which I would then remove to wheelbarrow.

David

/ Auger Extension
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blueclass=small">Good Heavens man! Why so deep?
Now don't go trying to tell me it's due to the frost line. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Frankly, I don't have an answer that satisfies me. " Architech says... Code requires... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Had I the luxury of time, I would have redesigned the whole thing. To my thinking, I could have poured a concrete column, maybe 3 ft deep and then anchored a 4x6 on top for adequate support and much cheaper and easier.

I think the frost line here is around 13,000 ft, we are at 1100, safely below /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David

/ Auger Extension #16  
I have a Speeco PHD. It looks very much like yours. Looking at your pictures. It looks like something is wrong with your setup. I can run my PHD all the way down into the ground. To the point where PTO shaft is buried in the ground outside of drilled hole. When raised auger clears the ground about 6". Do you have boom set in highest hole at tractor end.
I like your extension and will probably make one. Just wondering why yours will not go deeper without the extension. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Auger Extension
Thanks for the observation Ron.
I don't know what brand mine is. I've wondered if perhaps my dealer perhaps just unloaded "something" on me, knowing everything was going out of state. I don't have a manual or any type instruction. My boom was in the top hole. There also appears to be adjustment where the yoke and boom bolt, but I haven't messed with it. My max depth seems to be where the auger mates to the gear box shaft. I figured that was probably normal, but raised it is more than 6 inches, but I don't recall how much.
I'm sure your extension will look profession. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

/ Auger Extension #18  
I have a Danuser manufactured extention on my Danuser auger. I would have to measure it to be sure but I think it is somewhere around 8" or so. The only thing special I have to do is to chain the auger up while driving around so that it does not drag on the ground. Stationary, the auger tip is near ground level. Using an extention requires more attention so you do not get stuck in the hole or break a shear pin.