Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference?

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I have a twenty or year old Speed Shade non adjustable Helmet that I got as a Christmas Present from my Mom. Used now, only for MIG.

I have removed a filter to make it lighter and installed a cheater lense which helped, but still have issues seeing the puddle or seam to be welded. One issue might be that I have different prescriptions in my hard contact lenses to allow for close and far vision.

But I am curious. Are there differences in helmets? I guess, for one thing, newer ones have a larger window, but that might not make the image any better. Are adjustable ones better?

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #2  
The adjustable ones aren’t any better. Play with different shades. You may find your is a 10 shade and you would see better with a 9 or 11. They also make higher end shades that have different colors. A good welding shop will have different shades and colors. Visit them on a sunny days. Look at the sun through the shade and see what your eye needs- lighter, darker, green, blue etc.

Thousands of miles of pipe is welded with fixed shade lenses. The adjustable ones can be a nice feature but aren’t needed. To get a nice helmet that isn’t giving you arc flash and has the adjustment features you want will probably set you back a few hundred bucks. Or you can get a auto lens for your helmet for $100 or so...... but you will need to know what shade you want. As a lot of the small, 2x4 shades are a fixed shade.

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #3  
Not a very good welder but have used 2 different auto-dark. First was cheap and fixed and only adjustment was sensitivity, and it doesn't work anymore. My newest is a higher end model with different selections, and do find that adjusting the level is nice. It all depends on how much heat being used to weld. I still like to use a darker setting then maybe necessary because don't want to chance hurting my eyes

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference?
Thanks. I'm guessing if you aren't a good customer of a welding supply outfit, once you buy the helmet, it's pretty much yours. When you say fixed, we are still talking about auto darkening, right?

Somewhere I think I might have a bunch of tinted lenses. I should play with them, but am a little worried about eye damage.

Can one go too light or do they all filter UV? That would be good to know. Maybe the light level isn't the issue at all. For harming the eyes.

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #5  
I purchase a inexpensive HF auto darkening / adjustable welding helmet about 9 years ago and I like it, and usually weld with the shade setting on 9 so I can see, similar to this, Blue Design Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

I used a 10 shade small 2" x 4" lens all of my life and about 25 years ago had to start adding cheater lens to the hood.

First a 1.5 magnifier, then a few years later switched to a 2.0 magnifier, and then finally to a 2.5 magnifier.

I also wear prescription glasses and have long ago decided it's better to not to wear my glasses when using the welding lens magnifier.

And I remember you need your welding work close to you because at extended arms length welding really distorts everything.

After that I just stated "I can't see anymore" and my last time welding and passing a certification coupon (2004), I passed by feel (used a angle iron straight edge) and motion as I could not see the soapstoned gap to weld.

When I first started to weld in the 60's, everyone was using a 10 shade lens and the welders that were close to retiring were using a 8 shade lens so they could see.

I now know what they were doing in order to see to weld.

I do not know how much better the more expensive welding helmets like Lincoln or Miller are, but can only guess that they are very much a better welding hood (as I still use a Miller Mig Welder at home now, it's an auto select for the settings, things have really changed from marking your welding dials up with a sharpie).

Hopefully others will chime in about the better welding hoods...

KC

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #6  
Thanks. I'm guessing if you aren't a good customer of a welding supply outfit, once you buy the helmet, it's pretty much yours. When you say fixed, we are still talking about auto darkening, right?

Somewhere I think I might have a bunch of tinted lenses. I should play with them, but am a little worried about eye damage.

Can one go too light or do they all filter UV? That would be good to know. Maybe the light level isn't the issue at all. For harming the eyes.

To start, if it were me, I would purchase a HF auto hood and try it out and if you do not like it, just return it.

At least that would be a way to start.

And I know if I weld for any length of time with the shade setting on 8, my eyes hurt and burn.

KC

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #7  
I have a twenty or year old Speed Shade non adjustable Helmet that I got as a Christmas Present from my Mom. Used now, only for MIG.

I have removed a filter to make it lighter and installed a cheater lense which helped, but still have issues seeing the puddle or seam to be welded. One issue might be that I have different prescriptions in my hard contact lenses to allow for close and far vision.

But I am curious. Are there differences in helmets? I guess, for one thing, newer ones have a larger window, but that might not make the image any better. Are adjustable ones better?

From an optics standpoint a lighter shade admits more light, with more light the pupil contracts (increases the f-stop and increases the depth of field) so you might get a marginal improvement. I've heard older guys use lighter shades but think that applied before they aged enough to need cheaters.

I had the problem that the small window in my helmet prevented me from using the bifocal part of my spectacles. My work around was to use reading glasses that have my near vision prescription all over. (The reading glasses are also helpful with any "look up" close work like overhead wiring. (There are special tradesman glasses that have bifocals on the top and bottom.)) You could get spectacles with differing prescriptions to compensate for your contacts, which I don't think you want to change. Having both your eyes focused at the eye to arc distance may improve matters.

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #8  
I think it depends on your eyes. For me, I found that my 75 year old eyes need all the help I can get. A few years ago I bought a Lincoln Viking. It had the ability to adjust the shade level & I like the color better. Like others have mentioned I now have reading glasses in the garage for welding. Your mileage may vary.

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference?
Not important, but I do notice that my small viewing area requires the helmet to be worn just so. A larger area, I'm sure would be just a bit nicer.

It makes me wonder if one could have a camera looking at the weld, and watch it effectively on a monitor with no risk of UV or being too bright for comfort.

/ Auto Darkening Helmets. Is there a difference? #10  
Check out this thread..

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/420011-welding-helmet-light.html

I have seen some discussion (dont remember where though) that some of the new AD helmets have blue shaded lenses instead of traditional green... Some have said it's better to see with...

I have has no experience with blue AD helmets... So I can't say... My main gripe with my cheap AD helmed is it's headgear...

Daler