auto darkening helmets

/ auto darkening helmets #51  
When I was shopping for an auto-darkening welding helmet I thought the "Grind mode" was a great feature. It didn't take long to figure out that it really isn't. Not only is the normal view of the screen somewhat tinted, but the grind mode is activated by turning the sensitivity all the way down, which you would have to remember to turn back when you go back to welding. It might not be so bad if you do a lot of grinding at one time in a very well lighted area but for a little grinding between welds in a kind of dim shop it doesn't work too well.

/ auto darkening helmets #52  
A welding side note---
Have always needed prescription glasses and never wanted the plastic lenses due to sparks from grinders etc. (we know plastic melts, right?)
Well some 5-6 years ago I just had no choice but to go plastic lenses.
Now my 5-6 year old plastic lenses are totally pitting free and unscratched.
They are byfocal, antiglare Cosco purchased.
Best still within 3 days of purchase I dropped a log on them (don't ask) and Cosco replaced totally free due to their insurance that is included with purchase. (lenses were OK but frame trashed)

/ auto darkening helmets #53  
I started welding using a helmet that had to either push the helmet up and or the glass screen up then either nod your head to drop the helmet down while holding the rod to start the weld. And hope you hit the right place to weld

/ auto darkening helmets #54  
I started welding using a helmet that had to either push the helmet up and or the glass screen up then either nod your head to drop the helmet down while holding the rod to start the weld. And hope you hit the right place to weld

I remember watching my dad doing that when I was growing up. Getting starting with welding these past couple of weeks I can't imagine having to learn with one of those helmets, especially with 7018 rods.

/ auto darkening helmets #55  
I remember watching my dad doing that when I was growing up. Getting starting with welding these past couple of weeks I can't imagine having to learn with one of those helmets, especially with 7018 rods.

This was probably the sentiment of the day..... IMG_1732.JPG

Terry