Auto INJECTOR Service?

/ Auto INJECTOR Service? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
I know this is a tractor site...and I apologize but; you guys are a wonderful collection of experience I thought I'd ask.
I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook, same as GMC Arcadia....with almost 92,000 miles on it. It runs great. I drive almost 80 miles a day, highway, and about every 2 months Fl. to Va. (that is where all the miles came from)
I just took it in for a waterpump replacement (under warrenty);) and they started trying to sell me all sorts of stuff. Shocks or struts, (don't know which), brakes, radiator flush, plugs, INJECTOR service etc......almost $1600 of service. I've looked at the brakes, they have about 20% left. The shocks seem fine, I JUST replaced the tires at 85,000. It still gets 25 MPG on the highway. Is there a REASON to do all this service they're trying to sell?
Thanks and I'll try to stick to tractor or farm posts next time.:ashamed: This was the first time I arrived in Virginia with the tractor....the Saturn did NOT do well when I hit the gravel/mud road
Rob

Attachments

• Bit-O-MUD...first arrival 3-11.jpg
    Bit-O-MUD...first arrival 3-11.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 127
   / Auto INJECTOR Service? #2  
I know this is a tractor site...and I apologize but; you guys are a wonderful collection of experience I thought I'd ask.
I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook, same as GMC Arcadia....with almost 92,000 miles on it. It runs great. I drive almost 80 miles a day, highway, and about every 2 months Fl. to Va. (that is where all the miles came from)
I just took it in for a waterpump replacement (under warrenty);) and they started trying to sell me all sorts of stuff. Shocks or struts, (don't know which), brakes, radiator flush, plugs, INJECTOR service etc......almost $1600 of service. I've looked at the brakes, they have about 20% left. The shocks seem fine, I JUST replaced the tires at 85,000. It still gets 25 MPG on the highway. Is there a REASON to do all this service they're trying to sell?
Thanks and I'll try to stick to tractor or farm posts next time.:ashamed: This was the first time I arrived in Virginia with the tractor....the Saturn did NOT do well when I hit the gravel/mud road
Rob
The dealer's service department is a profit center for a dealership. They don't make a big killing selling vehicls but, due to the compexities of the modern automobile, fewer people feel competant enough to service their vehicles. So the dealerships are working hard to get more of your vehicle maintenance dollars.
The general answer to your question, in my opinion, is that you don't need all these "suggested maintenance services" and for the ones you do need, you might want to get at least three cost estimated before you decide on who should provide that service to you. Dealers get ~$100/shop hour, plus other fees to perform vehicle service andf whether it's worth it is somewhat debatable. A check of any auto service business, including dealerships, with the loacal BBB would be a place to start as would a check withthe sate consumer protection office.( Auto service is the most complained about business in most states.)
At 92K miles, maybe plug replacement and coolant repalcement would be due and you will be looking at brake works soon. As far as injector cleaning is concerned , if your fuel mileage and drieability are fine, A pint of something like Techron injector cleaner every 10K miles will probably keep them in good condition. If the handling is OK, then the struts/shock are probably OK. Most people can replace plugs and coolant and any handyman can generally replace the pads for disc brakes but that's your call.

If I had to have someone else do these services, I'd get a bid from a dealer and a couple of other auto service providers that were highly recommended by friiends and checked out with the aforementioned consumer watchdogs and make the decision accordingly.

P.S I see your "handle" is "Boeing". Having worked for Boeing in my professional career for almost 35 years, I wondered what the connection is?

/ Auto INJECTOR Service?
Thank you for the input. Years ago I changed many a plug, but that was when cars had carborators and points:D We had the plugs changed in my wife's Mitsubushi 3000GT and it was over $200 because they have to pull the intake maniford off to get to the rear bank of plugs.:mad: My Saturn is probably the same; a sideways 6 cylinder. As for brakes, I've changed pads before but the proper way is to turn the rotors also....I can't do that and since it is front wheel drive I don't even know how the rotors come off:confused2:I miss my '75 F-250:laughing:
The BOEING comes from years as a Pan Am, ATA and Amerijet Boeing driver...727, 757/767. I did spend a few years in L-1011's and DC-10's but we don't talk about them:laughing:

/ Auto INJECTOR Service? #4  
Thank you for the input. Years ago I changed many a plug, but that was when cars had carborators and points:D We had the plugs changed in my wife's Mitsubushi 3000GT and it was over $200 because they have to pull the intake maniford off to get to the rear bank of plugs.:mad: My Saturn is probably the same; a sideways 6 cylinder. As for brakes, I've changed pads before but the proper way is to turn the rotors also....I can't do that and since it is front wheel drive I don't even know how the rotors come off:confused2:I miss my '75 F-250:laughing:
The BOEING comes from years as a Pan Am, ATA and Amerijet Boeing driver...727, 757/767. I did spend a few years in L-1011's and DC-10's but we don't talk about them:laughing:

Generally speaking, as long as the brake rotors are not warped, you can just replace the pads. Plugs are not so bad on the newer cars because you only have to replace them every 50k to 100K miles in a lot of cases. We have a Subaru and you have to remove the battery to get at the plugs on one side, but other than that it's not too bad. Now the oil filter is another story! I know what you mean about the F250!!!

I worked on the 727 (and many others) and was nacelle aerodynamics lead engineer on the 757 Rolls powered airplanes (RB211-535C and -535E4)from the git go on that program.

/ Auto INJECTOR Service?
Well Jerry, you did good on that 757 nacelle. :thumbsup: I flew the 757-rolls all over the world for 7 years. In all that time my only problems were an overheated turbine indication (bleed air) and an elect hyd pump failure.
We have GE's on the 767's and they too are fine engines.
Thanks for the auto input.:)
Rob

/ Auto INJECTOR Service? #6  
Cleaning injectors is something we used to have to do a lot until the US made injectors and the gas companies got it figured out so they didn't have problems anymore. Foreign cars did seem to have problems in the 10 years I worked on them before US cars started getting injection. Not much to service on current cars, like someone said, just replace the plugs every 50,000 miles. So, selling the injector cleaning, is just easy money these days with no benifit for most cars. The only problem I ever saw it cure was a rough idle.

On the brakes I am a believer in turning rotors, the brakes will work better and last longer if you do but you can certainly get by without it.