Automated Chainsaw Mill

/ Automated Chainsaw Mill
This is not a slam dunk easy idea, by any means...there are some design challenges, but I think it can be done...I think the sawdust cover is a must....but also thinking about either having some space under the whole affair and/or raising it up a bit to have a place for the sawdust to pile up....otherwise, even with a good guard, the sawdust will surely get into the gearage. I'm also taking a closer look at the Woodbug, which looks promising...maybe with a few modiifcations....and the Canadian excahange rate makes it almost affordable.

/ Automated Chainsaw Mill #12  
Hi ya
i don't know how it would work maybe hydro driven with a blow out valve to slow ya saw down if cutting got tough ..i have been looking at mills in new zealand and i'm looking at a chainsaw type of mill look at this web site and click on models then look at the log locust

http://www.petersonsawmills.com

it could be automated with 2 hyrdo pumps one each end working like a 2 man saw 1 pulls then the other
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Automated Chainsaw Mill #13  
Wasabi:
I too would like a mill for cutting lumber but in our area there are many people with mills who travel to your site and this method is much more cost effective.

Nevertheless I too dream on building my own but it will be dream only and never a reality.
Here are some thoughts.
Instead of chain saw use a fixed appropiate sized circular blade that can be driven with the tractor PTO.This creates less wasted wood.
Variable speed electric motor operating a large chain link belt with the motor and gears at one end of the log carrige where they will be out of the sawdust. The electric motor speed would be controlled by the saw blade rpm. IE: rpm starts to drop the motor will slow the advance of log into the blade.
The log holder will be shifted back and forth on the log carrier with electric motors on worm gear drive.
All the electric motors will be reversible So the log holder can be backed off while the carrige is retracted for a new cut.
A helper to load logs and pile sawn lumber.
All the sensors, carrige stops, log holder postioning,RPM control can be routed to a laptop which is programed for whatever width, length lumber you are going to cut.
A large umbrella so you can sit in the shade while controlling the sawmill. Better yet house it in a building out of the elements with overhead sliding hoists to position logs on the carrier.

Egon

Egon, WOW...nice imagry. More involved than my sawmill vision, but you have me thinking about it differently....which reminds me of an old joke:

(Please note: this is in no way intended to cast aspersions on "TBN's Bird" who clearly is quite respected here, nor is it intended to offend anyone's sensibilities....it is simply a joke, albeit a politically incorrect one)

Johnny, in the fourth grade, was aked the following question by his math teacher: "There are five birds sitting on a wire...you shoot one of them...how many are left?". Johnny thought for a moment then replied: "If I shot one of them, none would be left because the rest would fly away." The teacher replied: "Well Johnny, the correct answer is four birds, but I like the way you are thinking."

Somewhat embarrassed by this exchange, Johnny put up his hand a few minutes later and asked the teacher if he could ask her a question. "Sure" came the reply: "There are three women with ice cream cones...one is biting the ice cream, one is licking the ice cream and one is sucking the ice cream. Which one is married?" His teacher thought for a moment and then said, "I suppose the one that is licking the ice cream is married ." "No", said Johnny, "the correct answer is the one that is biting the ice cream, but I like the way you are thinking!"

/ Automated Chainsaw Mill #15  
Wasabi:

When you really start to think about it the concecpt is quite simple. Probably most of the ideas came from things others have said.

Egon

Egon....to quote the bud folks: True.