Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off?

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #11  
I run one tender on MANY batteries. When light is green I rotate it to the next battery. On most of my tractors I put it on the starter to top off both batteries. So not really a schedule but I don't leave it on 1 item all winter either.

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #12  
My advise after using tenders for years at the expense of battery life is to not waste time with them. Make sure the battery is fully charged then disconnect it. If you're really worried about the cold bring them inside. Once I stopped with tenders my batteries lasted years longer and Ive never had a dead battery in the spring.
Anything with parasitic draw needs a tender, only other alternative is disconnect. However lead acid batteries will self discharge slowly as well.

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #13  
I run one tender on MANY batteries. When light is green I rotate it to the next battery. On most of my tractors I put it on the starter to top off both batteries. So not really a schedule but I don't leave it on 1 item all winter either.
So its not really a tender when you need to do the tending?

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #14  

I do the same thing. I have 3 tenders and more than 3 batteries so I swap them around. That’s not the optimal solution but getting the battery occasionally topped off is better than nothing. I wouldn’t purposely cycle them though. A battery tender cost almost nothing in energy cost. If I had enough of them I would plug them up and forget about it. I also like using a tender for a battery charger. It’s not the fastest solution but I can plug it up and come back days later without worrying about overcharging the battery.

Last edited:
   / Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #15  
Northern Tool has the Battery Minder on sale often for 19.99, get one for every battery that isn't a daily used machine. I leave them on year around so everything is ready to go when I need them to.
I have 10 total, a mix of Battery Tender Jr and Battery Minders. They will almost double a batteries life.

Last edited:
   / Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #16  
Anything with parasitic draw needs a tender, only other alternative is disconnect. However lead acid batteries will self discharge slowly as well.

That's why I said make sure they are fully charged then disconnect them. Ive got at least a half dozen batteries I store yearly too between my truck, cars, dump trailer, zero turn, tractor and everything else, only one I really need to disconnect though is my truck if I leave it sit a while, the rest hold a charge through winter no problem. Everyone's experiences are different but in mine, tenders really aren't necessary outside of special circumstances.

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #17  
Well I would have to count but would need up to 20 of them and it is not a big deal to see the light in the dark and take it as I walk by doing chores and move it to the next item. If all my sheds had electric I could add 5 more batteries right now.

Counting really quick I came up with 24 batteries I could be charging. I'm sure I'm missing some

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #18  
Northern Tool has the Battery Minder on sale often for 19.99, get one for every battery that isn't a daily used machine. I leave them on year around so everything is ready to go when I need them to.
I have 10 total, a mix of Battery Tender Jr and Battery Minders. They will almost double a batteries life.
What's your battery life. If I double mine it is 20 years. If I don't get 10 I start looking for issues.

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #19  
I buy Battery Tender brand .75A. They can't cost much to operate, because my normal PB electric is $32.00 on average and $25 of that is for the meter.

B7100DT, Honda Rincon, Husky zero turn and Ferguson TO-35 battery are on all winter. I used to have my 1997 Dodge diesel also. There isn't any room in my house to keep them warm.

Batteries are always like new in the spring.

/ Automating multiple battery tenders - how often to turn them on/off? #20  
I have several battery maintainers and none of them are left on full time since I had one go bad and ruin a battery. I put all of mine on cheap timers years ago, I don't care what time they come on only that they run daily, each set to come on for 30 minutes a day. No need to have them powered full time, IMO just a waste of electricity, even if it is a small amount.