Automobile Dealer Service Departments -

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #21  
The only vehicle I've had with a replaceable cabin air filter was our 2001 Ford Windstar. It was a very simple thing to change and in 2007 cost me $16.77 at Pep Boys. I do change wiper blades myself, even replace a taillight bulb, but I've reached an age that I generally let the dealer do everything else.:laughing:

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #22  
Boy, Bird, I'm with you. I've never considered myself very mechanical, but I used to do a lot of my own simple repair work. I'm old enough to remember doing tuneups with a timing light. Most of that stuff wasn't too hard, and it was actually fun, and you had such a great feeling of accomplishment when you were done. Now, with my bad back, my surgeon told me that even my days of changing my own oil are over. I'm at the mechanic's mercy.

But I do have a good story. There's a tire chain near my office (Tire Wharehouse) and they've been great. You bring the car in they check it out and give you an estimate and the estimate is written in stone. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer that I bought at a farm auction a few years ago. I LOVE that car, but the one thing is the A/C didn't work from the time I got it. A few weeks ago, my wife suggested that I was so uncomfortable with my back that I should bring it into the Tire Warehouse and ask for an estimate. It needed several parts, and they gave me an estimate of $525. The car is in great shape, so my wife said to do it. When I picked it up after work, the manager told me that, though it was cold, he wasn't happy with it, and asked if I could bring it in the next morning to go over it again for no charge. Well, I eneded up bringing it in 6 times, all their call. They replaced EVERYTHING, including the compresspor. They finally took every piece of the A/C assembly apart and found that an in-line flilter had been installed backwards, long before they looked at it. I got an ENTIRE A/C system for $525. It's cold as anything now, and they never charged me a dime more than they're original estimate. On top of that, they'd save me the few block walk, knowing that I had a bad back, and they'd pick me up at work in my own car to do a test drive together. In fact, they call every once in a while to make sure it's OK.

Another time I had a terrible brake noise. I was sure it was a frozen caliper. I was right about the calper, but it just needed an adjustment. They charged me $19.99 and wouldn't take a tip. I love those guys!!!!

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #23  
If you go to the dealer, you can't be surprised at the expense. Labor rates are posted, and since they have the highest overhead they are almost always the highest priced.

They also put their pants on the same way as the independent guy does, so it is not usually a good choice, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Dealers are not the only ones who run the overpriced, high commission, find something extra to sell them, cons. The oil change places are also notorious for this.

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #24  
More of the overhead is being shifted to the Service Department...

Profit margins on new vehicle sales are down due to the competitiveness of Internet Sales...

A person that knows what they want only has to shop price and can buy anywhere... neighbor just bought a new Rav4 from a Dealer 400 miles away and the Salesman Delivered the car and picked up her trade...

My Dealer acquaintance said there is more profit on selling used car than new...

Dealer Sevice is expensive... the price is supposed to include factory trained tech, OEM parts and having in-house the exact tools to do the job...

Dealer was running a special on Brakes... $550 per axle.

I went to the parts counter and used my club affiliation discount to buy all the parts and did the total job in less than two hours for a total outlay of $380 vs. Dealer $1100 and that included me washing and vacuuming just like the Dealer.

Yeah....$550 PER AXLE...what a fricking RIPOFF. Last year I did the four discs on my '04 Lesabre, better than OEM pads, all new rotors, hardware, etc. for less than $350 and five hours of my time, and that included chasing after the parts. I am just a high school grad with above average mechanical skills but I saved TWO THIRDS of the $1100 cost my neighbor paid for new brakes on his '04 Impala. No wonder people like me have such contempt for dealership service departments. And I know the job was done right.

Mr. Monkeywrench.....??? SCROOM, I say.

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #25  
The only vehicle I've had with a replaceable cabin air filter was our 2001 Ford Windstar. It was a very simple thing to change and in 2007 cost me $16.77 at Pep Boys. I do change wiper blades myself, even replace a taillight bulb, but I've reached an age that I generally let the dealer do everything else.:laughing:

Bird, read the thread in "Trailers and Transportation" about the member who lost the oil drain plug in his nearly new truck. So much for "dealership service" where you pay huge bucks for p--- poor work. Like I said, Mr. Monkeywrench....SCROOM.

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #26  
Bird, read the thread in "Trailers and Transportation" about the member who lost the oil drain plug in his nearly new truck. So much for "dealership service" where you pay huge bucks for p--- poor work. Like I said, Mr. Monkeywrench....SCROOM.

OK, I read it, so . . . ? Sounds like a grease monkey changed the oil, put the plug back in with his fingers, then forgot to tighten it; just a wild guess of course. I hope you realize the dealers do have a serious problem. They've not found any place to hire help except from the human race, and humans do sometimes make mistakes. How many times has that dealer's service department done something like that? And what corrective action was taken? It may be a great service department that had one employee make a mistake for all I know. Or of course it may be a bad service department, but that doesn't mean all the other dealers' service departments are bad.

I saw a guy change his own oil one day (no, not me) and he was pouring the second quart of oil in it when he remembered that he hadn't put the drain plug back in. Does that mean no one should change his own oil?

Of course, I'd be a bit mad or upset myself if I were the OP, but it wouldn't make me think all dealers' service departments are bad.

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #27  
I am not sure I could have just dropped the issue with them. You paid them $300 to fix a problem. That is a contract. They did not hold up their end. So I would have been adamit that they either fix it, or refund the money. Most dealers are not this way. They will try to get the most $$ they can, but in the end, if you hold your ground, they usually do what is right. And in this case, the right thing would have been to either fix the problem, or refund the money.
The only alternative would've been to shoot them or take them to court.
I wasn't interested in a prisonterm or losing more money to a greedy lawyer.
I just don't go to dealers(stealers) no more,i just hope they go all broke and commit suicide.

I have not met a HONEST dealer yet,neither a HONEST lawyer.

And i ain't kidding

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #28  
The only alternative would've been to shoot them or take them to court.
I wasn't interested in a prisonterm or losing more money to a greedy lawyer.
I just don't go to dealers(stealers) no more,i just hope they go all broke and commit suicide.

I have not met a HONEST dealer yet,neither a HONEST lawyer.

And i ain't kidding

My Grandfather started in the car business in the 1920's and through the years he had sold 4 generations cars... even when people moved away from the area... they would still call him or send friends his way...

He also had his home phone and address on his business cards and was available 24/7 should the need arise...

He told me when you treat people right, the rest is easy...

I'm not saying he was a push-over by any means... he was from the era of the Handshake Deal and a Man only being as good as his word.

Not so much anymore... but years after his death... people would recognize my last name and ask if I was any relation to the man in the car business...

When you think about it... who, today puts there home address and telephone number on their business cards.

My Grandmother never became annoyed if someone would call... she was very gracious and said not to worry... her husband would be "On the Ball" and the family appreciated the business.

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #29  
Must be a rough life not trusting any service dept in repair or oil change of your equipment.
I can't remember how many vehicles I have owned or drove for a company use.
Way back when oil change every 2000 miles was each Sat. morning was a trip to service dept.
I have had service men tell me something wasn't working proper needed repair. Told them to fix because sitting on side of road wasn't the time for wishing you had listened.

Yes I have had problems but nothing to quit the dealer ship over.

If they make mistakes usually covered by insurance if you made the same error who paid.?

I have always thanked the repairman and tried to be friendly with dealer ship they know you by name and are in the business expecting return service work on your vehicle.
If not a good reputation the place quickly folds anyway.
ken

/ Automobile Dealer Service Departments - #30  
Must be a rough life not trusting any service dept in repair or oil change of your equipment.
I can't remember how many vehicles I have owned or drove for a company use.
Way back when oil change every 2000 miles was each Sat. morning was a trip to service dept.
I have had service men tell me something wasn't working proper needed repair. Told them to fix because sitting on side of road wasn't the time for wishing you had listened.

Yes I have had problems but nothing to quit the dealer ship over.

If they make mistakes usually covered by insurance if you made the same error who paid.?

I have always thanked the repairman and tried to be friendly with dealer ship they know you by name and are in the business expecting return service work on your vehicle.
If not a good reputation the place quickly folds anyway.
ken

Just so you know Ken, a dealer ship is the boat the owner bought with the money he made at his dealership. :D