average life span of DSL modem?

/ average life span of DSL modem? #21  
My current DSL modem has been working about 5 years. My home IBM computer has been running nonstop, except when need to reboot for software or updates, for about 7 years. I never pay any attention to either one. My tractors get much more attention. I did open the front of my PC about 2 years ago. So much dust, I decided never to open it again - horrifying. I have many computers at work and they just seem to last forever without much problems. I just replaced 8 Macs at work that were never shut off in 8 years when I upgraded some other equipment. I am amazed how well most computer equipment lasts. Now since I bought it up, my computer will probably die tomorrow.

/ average life span of DSL modem? #22  
I also have the 2Wire router. First one stopped working, got another on warranty. Then it blew and got a freebee from a friend. Then it went. Turns out its the power supply that keeps going, not the modem. I got a new power supply on eBay for $5 bucks with higher current rating. Been fine for a year now. The new supply makes the old routers work, too. WTF....

/ average life span of DSL modem? #23  
This evening I went to the church where I installed the 2wire modem because the pastor could not get online. It wasn't the modem. Turns out a new windows security update today makes zone alarm go funky. Given the option of ditching ZA or removing the last windows security update, the update bit the dust. Came home and had the same issue on my system.

/ average life span of DSL modem? #24  
Wish I could get DSL to test one...
My Satellite modem been working well for several years.

/ average life span of DSL modem?
My replacement 2wire was suposed to come tuesday or wednesday.. din't show.. I calle dthe local store and raised heck.. they told me to come in and get one today 9 great.. I work a double! ).. and IF the other one does come.. just bring it in. ( what do they mean IF.. ?!? )

soundguy

/ average life span of DSL modem? #26  
LMTC said:
This evening I went to the church where I installed the 2wire modem because the pastor could not get online. It wasn't the modem. Turns out a new windows security update today makes zone alarm go funky. Given the option of ditching ZA or removing the last windows security update, the update bit the dust. Came home and had the same issue on my system.

Early this week, a major fix for DNS was being put in place on systems all over the world. There was a major security hole that was found and the fix was just made available. The fix might cause problems with some firewalls and ZoneAlarm was the one that is known to have a problem. I was seeing some issues with DNS yesterday.

The details on the DNS problem have not been released but it sounds like a hacker could take over a DNS server and route traffic to www.IWantYourMoney.com when you typed in www.tractorbynet.com.

This would be a very bad thing. Not getting to TBN is one thing but this could have been much worse. :D

Later,
Dan