AVOID MF?...

/ AVOID MF?... #1  

hominyfarm

Tractor
n/a
Did I get your attention.

What I mean to say is/are there any MF models in the 20-80 hp range that "I" should avoid. Were there any models that were particularly troublesome and if so, what was the problem.

Please understand I am talking about models from the 60's up through the 80's. I find these year models in my price range and I further find myself looking more often and more seriously at MF. Go figure...

I would like to know if, for instance, the 100 series is considered a better machine than the 200 series. We assume upgrades and better options, but did it happen that way. Also, is the Perkins gas engine better than the continental gas? Dry brakes verses wet... This transmission verses that one.... Those types of comments will help me make a better decision.

Yes I know there are lots of models and it's impossible to know them all but a short narrative about you experience would be helpful.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ AVOID MF?... #2  
The 100s and 200s are basically the same tractors, no matter the hp or size. The sheet metal is the only major thing changed. I am sure that some body parts for the 200s would be easier to get because that are newer. The diesels are always the most desirable. Wet brakes are way ahead of dry brakes in any application.

/ AVOID MF?... #3  
If you find a MF 135 you have three engines to choose from, a perkins gas, A perkins eisel and a continental gas. For pwor the continetnal is the biggest displacement and slightly overwpowers the other two. This will be foud on the deluxe models, at least it was only available this way in 68 when grandpa bought his. The deluxe modle will also have the "multi-power" transmission which is great, but if it doesn't work great then it ain't so great. usually the only wear out after very extensive use, like ours did but it can be taken off and work just fine but it is kept in high.

The 200's and 100's are fine machines, finding parts for either isn't hard at all if you have internet access.

/ AVOID MF?... #4  
The reason you keep going towards MF is because, the only tractors built in those HP/year models would be MF or Ford. those two companys controled the small tractor market for years, others tried to compete, but were to busy trying to grab the large 100hp+ market that was booming at that time. MF parts for those tractors are still plenteful from many sources, the tractors are reliable, and easy and affordable to repair when needed. Wet brakes better, Perkins Diesel, a must, 8 speed transmission. A late model 175 or a 265, 275, depending on what HP you need. 135's 240's are smaller in hp but are tractors you can hand down to the grand children.
Chuck M.

/ AVOID MF?... #5  
We have an old MF 275 at the farm. I still use it for mowing every year because it pulls a heavy duty 7' bush hog. Until this last year it was also used for feeding big, round bales of hay during the winter. It has the Perkins diesel and the "multipower" transmission that I've never fully understood the need for but was obviosly a selling point at one time. The only major problem we've had with it over the years was that the A/C quit about 15 years ago and can't be fixed. That's not MF fault as the cab was an aftermarket version that my F-I-L had installed when he got it new. Over the years it's been a good, reliable, working tractor.

Now, as to the question of whether I like it or not, the answer is, "No, I don't". My reasons may be totally irrational but, apart from the un-A/C cab which makes it a mobile greenhouse during the Texas summers, I've never felt "comfortable" or safe on the thing. That may be due to the fact that I almost rolled it many years ago and it has always felt "tippy" to me ever since, partly due to the heavy, drag mower on the drawbar. It certainly doesn't ride as comfortably on rough ground as the even older JD 820 or the newer Kubota M5700. It's strange how you just feel better on some machines than others.

So, in answer to your question, the MF275 is a good reliable machine that still has many years of life left in it. Now if only my 87 year old M-I-L would let me take a torch to that cab ......

/ AVOID MF?...
Great information for me guys. Being a newbie to tractoring this forum is invaluable...

cmunger I have to ask why the 8 speed tranny is so much better than the 6 speed?

I was just looking on ebay at a 135 diesel (I won't make a hyperlink, go look NOW!)... Take a look at the one in Roanoke, VA. Any guesses as to what it will sell for... Only a little over 500 hours with orginal paint. Wow. Purrrrrty. It does have the 6 speed tranny however.

It's close (150 miles) from where I live but I have a feeling that puppy is going to go high. Like a lot ebay auctions, it will either go high or not sell at all. Maybe too nice for a "work" tractor.

Keep talkin', I'm learnin'

/ AVOID MF?... #8  
The 8 speed would be on the larger tractors (175,265,275). I meant a gear drive as opposed to the Multi-Power, a 6 speed is a gear drive which is fine. The Multi-Power is good also it just is a little more costly to repair. Do not take this the wrong way, I would own a multi-power, but I am more familiar with them.
Chuck M.