AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #41  
I have a X485 I bought because I have a 15 deg hill (yes I measured it) with trees on it. It is AWS, but not AWD. It has the rear differential lock, but barely ever used it in 3 years. The tires on the X series are larger, so that makes a big difference as well. Don't know if you have other plans that might require AWD, but may not be needed for the hills.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #42  
   / AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #43  
The Husky AWD, center actuating mower is a dream to use on our yard. I am familiar with the grief folks have had, and ours goes through drive belts way to quickly. Nonetheless, there are few other small sized, AWD mowers out there. I like the center actuating steering waaaaay better than zero turn too. What mower can we replace the Husky with???

Last edited:
   / AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #44  
We have two Husqvarna R322T AWD with the Combi 103 mowing decks.
My wife and I only use them for mowing.
We did have snowblowers at one time, the Kova single stage and the Agri-Fab two stage.
The Agri-Fab 2 stage was the better snow blower because it had the two wheels to carry the weight of the blower in the raised position.
The Kova was too difficult to place in the raised position and IMHO put too much strain on the axle of the front transmission when the blower was in the raised position. We only used the Agri-Fab 2 stage for snow blowing on two occasions and never used the Kova.
For snow removal, we have a Kubota B7800 with 64" Rear mount snow blower that handles the snow removal much better, so
we sold both R322T snowblowers units.

We really like our R322T machines for lawn mowing, they are the best mowers we've every had in the 45+ years we've been mowing.
They are much better on the steeper grades compared to past mowers we've used.
Our previous best were Wheel Horse 416-H and 414-8 machines and both flipped over on me on two different steep areas, due to losing traction then suddenly gaining it again.

The R322T AWD machines do not have any traction lose issues, and feel much more stable.
They are also much quieter.
The engine is behind the driver so the engine exhaust does not blow back onto the operator like our previous machines did.
We no longer smell like engine exhaust after each lawn mowing session.
One of the greatest features of these R322T's is the flip up mower deck.
It so so so much easier cleaning grass clippings from a deck that flips up.
The R322T are so much more maneuverable than any previous mower we've had.

We've had both R322T AWD machines since 2014, one now has 230 hours and the other has 160 hours.
One machine did have the creeping issues, and my dealer replaced the rear transmission, free of charge.
Recently I read there is a special transmission oil or additive than can be used to cure any creeping issues.
I haven't noticed any premature belt wear problems when using the R322T for mowing.
There was premature belt wearing issues when snow blowing with the 2 stage blower.

My wife and I really like these R322T AWD for mowing and would recommend them.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #45  
Husqvarna R322T AWD series did have issues with belt wear on the transmission drives. How are yours been holding up DHD???

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #46  
Husqvarna R322T AWD series did have issues with belt wear on the transmission drives. How are yours been holding up DHD???

Still have the original transmission drive belts on both machines.
The belt that drives the snowblower and mower is the only belt I've had issues with.

Both machines have been holding up pretty well.
Other than the rear transmission issue I mentioned in my previous post,
I did have an axle seal leak on on the front transmission right side.
I changed out the axle seal myself. A fairly simple fix, even for me.:)
Have always tried to do all my own maintenance
and I think these R322T machine should continue to serve us well,
as long as the preventative maintenance is kept up

Engine oil and filter changes are easy enough, but some might find the transmission oil and filter change along with
synchronising the front and rear wheel drives a little challenging.

A key factor that convinced me to choose the Husqvarna R322T AWD
was a post by member Gem99ultra about his Husqvarna 155 2 wheel drive rider.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/lawn-garden-equipment/296991-sorry-rider-155-a.html

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #47  
Thank you for making that comment about the rear steering with the front end being either light or off the ground. Just something I had never thought about.

I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for my Craftsman 2004 GT5000. It has a 44' blower, 48' mower, 3 bin bagger, sleeve hitch with a 42' grader blade along with a set of tow behind disc harrows.
The Craftsman runs great and hasn't disappointed at all, but I would like something with power steering, 3 pth, 4wd, and now... aws if possible.

Thanks again for you comment.
Robin

Those Husky articulating mowers are not what you want, if pulling something is of interest.
Not even in the same class as this thread started by the OP which are more "tractor-like" than small lawn mower like.