Chains Axle Extenders for MF1020

/ Axle Extenders for MF1020 #1  

TugHillDog

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2645 Cab
I just bought a mid 80's MF 1020 4WD with loader and mid-mount finish mower. Pretty excited...so excited that I bought a new Lynx 62" snow blower for it. And that got me thinking...so I ordered a set of 4 link low-impact chains for the 13.6-16 turf tires on the rear end. Perfect!

Except...I really could use another half-inch of space between the tires and the fender wells to keep the chain coupler from smacking the inside of the fender well.

Does anyone know of a good source for inexpensive axle extenders?

/ Axle Extenders for MF1020
Thanks Will! Their name came up in my searching, and we have some local dealers. The one dealer I called wasn't even aware of the product line, so I'm not sure how helpful that dealership will be.

I'm thinking about trying a local machine shop if I cannot find a reasonably priced commercial product.

Last edited:
   / Axle Extenders for MF1020 #4  
TugHillDog said:
Thanks Will! Their name came up in my searching, and we have some local dealers. The one dealer I called wasn't even aware of the product line, so I'm not sure how helpful that dealership will be.

I'm thinking about trying a local machine shop if I cannot find a reasonably priced commercial product.

Your welcome. I know with the turfs on our 1635 the rims cannot be flipped either, so spacers are your only option.

Keep us posted.

Well I've been to tractor school: the MF1020 is really a lawn tractor enhanced with mechanical steroids. The axle is not extendable as the weight of the tractor is supported on the wheel by a thin rim of the wheel that sits on the bearing case. If I were to insert ANYTHING in between the wheel and the axle housing [like an extender], the entire tractor weight would be supported by the 6 wheel bolts.

So I dead-ended.

Then with the direction of an old shop teacher friend of mine, I did some chain modification: the cross pieces on the outside run of the chain were spaced every 2 links [except the one closest to the binder was a single link btwn cross pieces]. This allowed me to use only 34 links along the circumference of the tire. I cut off some extra and used a connector link to install that on the inside run. Along the inside run, I spaced the cross pieces every 4-5 links in a staggered spacing pattern using 52 links along the circumference of that run.

Essentially this allows me to let the chains ride near the outside tread edge of the inside of the rear tire and pretty close to the rim on the outside of the tire. They seem pretty tight. I have backed up and down the driveway a little and no loosening has occurred. I'm pretty happy so far. I'm adding some bungees inside and out to preserve the tension in the chain and waiting for the first real snow to see how they hold if a wheel slips!

BTW: This worked for installing RM850 twisted link chains on 13.6-16 turf tires.

/ Axle Extenders for MF1020 #6  
TugHillDog said:
Well I've been to tractor school: the MF1020 is really a lawn tractor enhanced with mechanical steroids. The axle is not extendable as the weight of the tractor is supported on the wheel by a thin rim of the wheel that sits on the bearing case. If I were to insert ANYTHING in between the wheel and the axle housing [like an extender], the entire tractor weight would be supported by the 6 wheel bolts.

So I dead-ended.

Then with the direction of an old shop teacher friend of mine, I did some chain modification: the cross pieces on the outside run of the chain were spaced every 2 links [except the one closest to the binder was a single link btwn cross pieces]. This allowed me to use only 34 links along the circumference of the tire. I cut off some extra and used a connector link to install that on the inside run. Along the inside run, I spaced the cross pieces every 4-5 links in a staggered spacing pattern using 52 links along the circumference of that run.

Essentially this allows me to let the chains ride near the outside tread edge of the inside of the rear tire and pretty close to the rim on the outside of the tire. They seem pretty tight. I have backed up and down the driveway a little and no loosening has occurred. I'm pretty happy so far. I'm adding some bungees inside and out to preserve the tension in the chain and waiting for the first real snow to see how they hold if a wheel slips!

BTW: This worked for installing RM850 twisted link chains on 13.6-16 turf tires.

SCUT/CUT do not come with bar axles. However, Unverferth will make a set of 'Flanged' axle spacers, so you do not have that problem.

Glad you found a solution for you issue.

Thanks Will...I don't think I will need to go that route, but I AM GLAD to know that the flange extenders are available.

And thanks for another chapter in my tractor School learnin' !!

thanks,