Axle & steering damage???

/ Axle & steering damage??? #1  

VTtractorguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Still looking...
I've had my 1025r now for less than two months. It has 14 hours on it. I've had a problem from day one with the machine chewing up my lawn when making turns (either direction). When making turns it would bind and at times push the front wheels in a straight line even when they are turned. The power steering has also been stiff. As time went on I could feel a grinding sensation when making turns getting worse. Also at times the power steering hydraulic hose coupling on the power steering piston will drift close enough to the left front tire so it rubs. Other times it's 3/4" away. I have no clue what that's all about... except perhaps that the strain on the whole system is causing it.

At the third attempt, my dealer figured out that the differential has been locked down due to a problem with the brake. The two are interconnected. They told me they released the differential lock, adjusted the brake and it is driving much better.

Question... Has putting 14 hours on this machine with the two rear wheels locked all the time done any significant damage/premature wear to the axle or steering? Does anybody have any thoughts on what to do about this? Should I contact Deere directly, demand a replacement machine?

Thanks very much.

/ Axle & steering damage??? #2  
Depends on who used the differential lock.

/ Axle & steering damage??? #3  
The fact it was tearing up the yard is a good sign, it means the yard was "softer" than the insides of the diff. :)

Turning with a diff lock engaged is a big no-no for any machine, doing it often will wear down and break any machine. Deere knows best how well the machine is built. If they are comfortable saying there's no damage, they should be comfortable extending the warranty beyond the standard warranty for driveline related claims at no additional charge. If they'll not extend the warranty at no cost, I would demand a new machine.

It is a Deere, you paid enough that expecting it to be flawless isn't too much to ask.

/ Axle & steering damage??? #4  
Hard to proof either way. Tearing your yard up probably saved your tires and differential.

D.

/ Axle & steering damage???
The thing that concerns me is that as time went on over the past 1.5 months, an increasing noticeable grinding sensation could be felt and heard. I have to believe this caused some sort of damage and at the very least significant premature wear. :(

/ Axle & steering damage??? #6  
Maybe they will extend the warranty - I doubt it.

D.

/ Axle & steering damage??? #7  
When you do the service, check for abnormal "chunks". The reason I say abnormal, is that there will normally be some debris on the first service.

/ Axle & steering damage???
Also what concerns me is that if there are metal shavings or "chunks" floating around in the hydraulic fluid, it can reek damage through the whole system, as this fluid is shared by (I believe) everything... transmission, hitch, FEL, etc. I don't know... All I know is I noticed an increasing grinding feeling as time went on - suggesting that something was getting chewed up.

This really sucks... 18k for a new machine and this?

/ Axle & steering damage??? #9  
Maybe change the fluid and filters early if you are really concerned about it.

D.

/ Axle & steering damage??? #10  
I would definitely do a fluid change and save everything that comes out. I'd likely use a screen filter as I drained it to catch any pieces or grindings that come out. If you are concerned, JD should be as well. The customer is always right. If they feel the machine isn't hurt, they should have no problem extending the warranty to provide you with peace of mind considering it was a defect of assembly. If they won't make good on it, I'd jump up and down, kick and scream, throw tantrums, whatever was needed. 99% of all customer service is 99% about greasing the squeaky wheels.