B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues?

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #1  

Diesel-ME

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA EHSS 4Wd
I'm just about to order a B&W turn over ball. I like the idea of only drilling one 4" hole in the bed and not having a metal plate on top of the bed. Oddly I found no B&W dealers in Maine (maybe did not look too hard.. but don't care as I'll buy one online and install it myself). But in speaking to one of my local trailer shops they claim that the mechanism for releasing the ball is not great for northern climates due to salt/sand/corrosion.

I should think that some occasional cleaning and lubrication should take care of that. So I'm wondering what folks in the north do for maintenance and/or if this has been an issue for you?

~paul

truck is a 2002 F350 4x4 supercab, LWB/SRW w/ PSD

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #2  
I'm not from the North, but I would think keeping the pin greased would prevent corrosion. You can always just take the ball out and put it in the cab of the truck. I think the B&W turnover ball is the best out there. I also ordered it online and installed it myself with no problems.

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #3  
I have put in 3 and no problems here in Norther Indiana. Keep it clean and greased and you will be fine.

Chris

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #4  
We have had a B&W for 26 months now on our Dodge, here in central Michigan, land of rock salt. We haven't noticed any issues on the ball mechanism. There is some light surface rust on the mounting plates that attach the hitch to the truck frame. We often keep the ball in a plastic bag in the truck cab. My 2 cents - if you use the truck for hauling loose dirt (etc.) in the bed, put something over the ball area before you drop the dirt (etc.) in.

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #5  
Diesel-ME said:
I'm just about to order a B&W turn over ball. I like the idea of only drilling one 4" hole in the bed and not having a metal plate on top of the bed. Oddly I found no B&W dealers in Maine (maybe did not look too hard.. but don't care as I'll buy one online and install it myself). But in speaking to one of my local trailer shops they claim that the mechanism for releasing the ball is not great for northern climates due to salt/sand/corrosion.

I should think that some occasional cleaning and lubrication should take care of that. So I'm wondering what folks in the north do for maintenance and/or if this has been an issue for you?

~paul

truck is a 2002 F350 4x4 supercab, LWB/SRW w/ PSD

For my K2500, I've got a Draw-Tite Hide-A-Goose

Head tested to 30,000 lbs. GTW, 7,500 lbs. vertical load
Only 4" hole in truck bed for installation
Ball is stored upside-down in hitch when not used<<<You have to watch your bed load or the ball will hit stuff underneath...:D
Heavy duty handle uses positive locking to engage ball
Comes with hitch head, 2-5/16" ball and safety chain brackets
Easy to install
Includes magnetic cover 63055
Rail kits average install time is less than 2-1/2 hours without any welding or bed removal
Rails are rated to meet non-commercial tow ratings

[+] DRAW-TITE Corporate Website [+]

All, I do is keep everything clean by washing the underside once a week at the fire station...and use White Lithium Grease...:D...the wonder product of the farm...

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #6  
I have one (B&W) with no problems......but I live in the SOUTH.

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #7  
Z-Michigan said:
We have had a B&W for 26 months now on our Dodge, here in central Michigan, land of rock salt. We haven't noticed any issues on the ball mechanism. There is some light surface rust on the mounting plates that attach the hitch to the truck frame. We often keep the ball in a plastic bag in the truck cab. My 2 cents - if you use the truck for hauling loose dirt (etc.) in the bed, put something over the ball area before you drop the dirt (etc.) in.

What he said. I have one and it got packed full of dirt and stuff I was hauling once when flipped over. The it got wet and froze. I had to beat it out last winter. Since then I have doused it the whole thing with white spray grease and have had no more issues. I learned something for once! I never keep it in the cab, but grease the whole thing so dirt and water can't work down in.

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues?
Thanks for the feedback.. ordered the B&W today.

I'm going to install an extension to my factory 7-way wiring harness. Looks like that should install pretty easy as it plugs in-line with the factory wiring. I just need to yank the plastic drop-in bed liner now and figure out the best spot to mount the connector (sidewall/wheel well/etc).

I'm going to do a sprayed-in bed liner after I install the hitch. An opinions on Line-X vs. Speedliner?

~paul

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #9  
I have never had to put a wiring harness in the bed. All the trailers I have hauled reached the plug back by the bumper.

Chris

/ B&W Turnover GN corrosion issues? #10  
We have the 7-pin plug on the inside left side of the bed, less than 12" forward of the tailgate. It is reasonably convenient. I'm sure Chris's method works but I would not be happy running the cord over the gate and out to the bumper area. Just remember to have the trailer's cord fully loose and off of any hangers it might be on - learned that from "experience."

We have a spray-in bedliner, different brand than the two you list. If there are meaningful differences among brands, I'm not aware of them. Would be interested to hear though.