B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change

/ B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Just before it got cold, I posted about rising oil level in the crankcase. I do believe it is the hydraulic pump and ordered a seal.

I ran into some difficulty removing the pump. Specifically I could not seem to get a clear shot at one (or both) of the botls on the block side of the pump. Then it turn all Winter on me and I headed for shelter.

Now that spring is threatening my hibernation, I wanted to solicit advice on how to get at the bolts and then if it is possible, or advisable, to try to change the seal without cracking open the pump.

Thanks in advance.

/ B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change #2  
change the seal without cracking open the pump. Thanks in advance.
Don't scratch the shaft when prying out the seal

Attachments

• B21 pump.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 350
   / B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change
Don't scratch the shaft when prying out the seal

Thanks. I have the manual. So. I can just pry it out (every so carefully . . .)?

Still, I recall not being able to get a wrench or socket on at least one of the bolts close to the block. Might only have been due to the cold weather and will be easier when fingers are not stiff.

/ B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change #4  
Thanks. I have the manual. So. I can just pry it out (every so carefully . . .)?
I haven't done it but I would expect so, would be what I would try first. YMMV

/ B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change #5  

Still, I recall not being able to get a wrench or socket on at least one of the bolts close to the block. Might only have been due to the cold weather and will be easier when fingers are not stiff.
What bolts are you removing? The block mounted pump should only have 2 bolts holding it on, the lower one is pretty easy to access and the upper one isn't too bad once the priority flow valve is removed and I believe the fuel filter bracket also needs to be removed or pulled out of the way.

/ B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change #6  
This probably isn’t the place for this but I’d tried everything I knew of to remove the front axel hub seals on my tractor. I eventually tack welded a flat bar across the seal and hooked my slide hammer on it.

What bolts are you removing? The block mounted pump should only have 2 bolts holding it on, the lower one is pretty easy to access and the upper one isn't too bad once the priority flow valve is removed and I believe the fuel filter bracket also needs to be removed or pulled out of the way.

Since it warmed up today, I tackled it. My big problem now is removing the pipes that go to the priority valve. I cannot push pipes back far enough to get them out of the priority valve. Traced them up behind the cab "cowl" but cannot see how to disengage what ever is holding the cowl on. I don't want to break it and have it flap around while running.

Once I get that off I have a clear shot at removing two pipes and it should be a cake walk from there. But then I thought this whole thing would only take me a couple hours . . . that was at 9 AM.

And cool weather and rain next four days is forecast.

Since it warmed up today, I tackled it. My big problem now is removing the pipes that go to the priority valve. I cannot push pipes back far enough to get them out of the priority valve. Traced them up behind the cab "cowl" but cannot see how to disengage what ever is holding the cowl on. I don't want to break it and have it flap around while running.

Once I get that off I have a clear shot at removing two pipes and it should be a cake walk from there. But then I thought this whole thing would only take me a couple hours . . . that was at 9 AM.

And cool weather and rain next four days is forecast.

Never mind, it just lifts off, after a fashion. Now to clean out the mouse house and get on with it.

Once I quit complaining is went OK. Did not have to remove the priority deal, I managed to get the back bolt out with a 12mm socket and universal. Back in was not too hard, as those things go.

The pump shaft did have some wear on it, shiny where the seal lips worked on it and the flat of the drive did show some wear. But put the new seal in and reassembled it all. The hydraulics work, but I will have to top off the oil and run it for several hours to see if the leak is gone. If not, I guess it'll be time for a new pump.

/ B21 Hydraulic pump removal and seal change #10  
Subscribing. I have been meaning to replace my suction hose (7 in the diagram) since it has deteriorated and it looks simple to replace. I do not have an engine oil issue but wonder if replacing the pump seal and o ring would be good to do at the same time if not too involved.

Last edited: