B21 Post hole digger?

/ B21 Post hole digger? #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
I recently got a B21, did a bit of light work with it before the snow. Now it is sitting under a tarp and a lot of snow, just waiting for me to go out and install
the block heater and new thermostat.

I was looking at getting a post hole digger for it and was looking for suggestions. Is the unit at Tractor Supply any good?

/ B21 Post hole digger? #2  
I was all set to buy a PHD for my tractor but then I started researching what others on this forum had to say about them. In the end, I decided maybe it wasn't such a good investment after all, for various reasons. Not telling you that you shouldn't get one, just saying that a search on that topic might be a good thing to do before you buy. It might be right for you to buy one, or maybe not.

/ B21 Post hole digger? #3  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/35630-leinbach-post-hole-digger.html

Post Hole Digger for Compact Tractors.

Never owned a tractor that small but from what I've heard/ read You will need a low profile PHD . Something like a LEINBACH 7300 "JR". Narrow hitch and less height adjustment . If not you might have to make some home made alterations to a regular size PHD/.
When you get it b-sure to check your gearbox oil. Most PHD's come shipped dry.

/ B21 Post hole digger? #4  
I was all set to buy a PHD for my tractor but then I started researching what others on this forum had to say about them. In the end, I decided maybe it wasn't such a good investment after all, for various reasons. Not telling you that you shouldn't get one, just saying that a search on that topic might be a good thing to do before you buy. It might be right for you to buy one, or maybe not.

i'm in the same boat. LOTS of discussions here to read on PHDs and compact tractors. the general consensus is that for larger projects they're just too slow.

we're planning a couple of fencing projects. for the larger one i'm leaning towards having posts driven, but eventually i think i'll pick up a PHD anyway for smaller projects, planting, etc.

here are a few posts on pounders if you're considering them as well:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/181472-post-driver-pounder-small-compact-2.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/146545-hooking-up-post-driver-kubota.html

/ B21 Post hole digger? #5  
I recently got a B21, did a bit of light work with it before the snow. Now it is sitting under a tarp and a lot of snow, just waiting for me to go out and install

I was looking at getting a post hole digger for it and was looking for suggestions. Is the unit at Tractor Supply any good?

This is a PTO auger recommended for your tractor.

Post Hole Digger for Compact Tractors.

You only have about 13.5 HP at the PTO.

You might consider a hyd auger which will provide fwd and rev.

/ B21 Post hole digger? #6  
Having a B7610, a TSC Auger/PHD, and have built 2 pole barns with maybe 20 6X6 posts planted to 3 feet gives me enough credibility of the subject to report on it...........

That said, for sure the tsc augers will work; but just a couple of small problems..........If you are in rocky clay, which I am here in NW Georgia, the auger will bury itself before you know it if you are not VERY careful. When that happens, one must have a helper to use like a post or something for leverage and as you lift the auger, they pry up on it.........Not a big problem if one is careful. The tractor just doesn't have enough lift in the arms to bring out a stuck auger bit.............

What I do is carefully let it down and let it dig; but the instant....the instant.........That the auger begins digging itself/screwing itself into the ground...........PULL UP..........

Anyway, having done the above pole barns and maybe 50 four and six inch posts for fencing over the last couple of years........I truly can say that a "B" tractor can run a TSC auger..........God bless.......Dennis

/ B21 Post hole digger? #7  
I am more of the rental PHD type of guy, as I don't do much of it often and don't want to get in the habit of it. Especially around neighbors! Ha ha. The 2 man auger sure allows more accessiblity. Many times where I have dug holes, no tractor can get too without clearing a huge path that I don't want. My two cents.

/ B21 Post hole digger? #8  
My brother bought one to use around the ranch... was setting up a bunch of 6x6 poles for lights for the Christmas Tree operation...

Just was not getting anywhere with the L3800

A farm down the road saw what he was doing and said his son-in-law has a auger on a excavator... brother paid him $18 a hole and done...

/ B21 Post hole digger? #9  

I've had a TSC PHD that I've used on my Kubota B2150 for about 15 years. It's dug a lot of holes, and I've never had a lick of trouble with it. My B2150 has 18 hp at the PTO.