Backhoe B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch

/ B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Got a B21 with the standard backhoe. Just replaced the in and out hoses and had a lot of fun in the process, cleaning up, including the couplers. In retrospect, it would have been a lot easier if I had detached the hoe before starting the job.

Multi part question

1 - I read the instructions on how to remove and attach the backhoe, but, never having done it before (first TLB), I figured I should ask more experienced minds and hands. How difficult is it as a 1 man job, both on and off?

2 - How to keep the couplers clean? The ones on the BH seem simple, a Glad bag and tie wraps for instance, but those on the machine are more likely to get serious dust and dirt.

There is another part to this as I am considering a drag along attachment for gravel leveling which I will get to in another post, part of my decision is how much trouble it is to swap the attachments.

/ B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch #2  
Got a B21 with the standard backhoe. Just replaced the in and out hoses and had a lot of fun in the process, cleaning up, including the couplers. In retrospect, it would have been a lot easier if I had detached the hoe before starting the job.

Multi part question

1 - I read the instructions on how to remove and attach the backhoe, but, never having done it before (first TLB), I figured I should ask more experienced minds and hands. How difficult is it as a 1 man job, both on and off?

2 - How to keep the couplers clean? The ones on the BH seem simple, a Glad bag and tie wraps for instance, but those on the machine are more likely to get serious dust and dirt.

There is another part to this as I am considering a drag along attachment for gravel leveling which I will get to in another post, part of my decision is how much trouble it is to swap the attachments.

I can't answer your specific question for the B21 hoe.
For my Kubota (L48 hoe) it is a very simple one man process.
I would expect it to be very simple for your hoe as well.
Do you have an owners manual?

/ B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch

I have the owners as well as the shop manual.

/ B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch #4  

I agree with fried1765. My Kubota L45 is a fairly simple one-man process. The more you do it the easier it becomes as long as you are deliberate (don't rush!).
The L45 came with sized, color-coded, robust dust caps for both the male and female ends. (The tethers on the Kubota rear remote dust caps all failed within a couple of years.) If Kubota dust caps are too pricey, try Tractor Supply. Suspect similar stores, your local hydraulic shop, and others have dust caps.

/ B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch #5  
On my B20 and B26 there are just two lines to disconnect/connect. On the tractor you either connect to the backhoe or back to the tractor. NEVER attempt to run machine with the tractor line unconnected!
On the backhoe side I connect the two lines together. Keeps them clean and reduces pressure buildup during storage. After disconnecting I operate all the backhoe controls to relieve pressure. Do it again before I connect. There are factory caps but don’t use them.
Should have built a special pallet or blocking for the B20 to store the backhoe. Wasted lots of time. The manual says to use blocks and elevation is required to connect the hydraulic lines. Built a timber type pallet to store the backhoe on for the B26. Makes connecting to the backhoe a five minute job. Disconnecting two minutes. Takes longer removing or installing the 3pt hitch the hardest part.

Take your time with the owner’s manual in hand the first couple of times. It should all be easy with hands or very gentle tapping to make connections and insert pins. If not aligned, readjust. It will get faster and easier with practice.

Don’t know about the B21 but huge improvement from the B20 to B26 backhoe mounting.

/ B21, removing backhoe, setting up 3-pt hitch #6  
On my BX24 it is a one man job. The pins are tight on my backhoe. I usually have to play with the outriggers to find the sweet spot where the pin will go in. Level concrete will make your life much easier.

Doug in SW IA