3-Point Hitch B21 Tiller

/ B21 Tiller #1  

Leozepolusa

Tractor
Kubota B21 & L47 TLB
I am contemplating buying a King Kutter II 48 or 60 inch gear driven tiller. KK recommends a 20HP pto. My B21 only has 13.5 HP. Anyone have experience turning one of these with a B21? The 60" is just $30 more than the 48".

Thanks,

/ B21 Tiller #2  
I think the 48" would be plenty for 13.5 hp available. I suspect you will be disappointed if you get the 60" and expect it to till at full depth. We run a 40" behind a 10 hp tractor with gearing that allows 0.5 mph at WOT and it has all it can do to till at 4" deep in anything but very light soil. Is you BX a HST or gear drive? This may become a big factor if you need to travel very slowly at rated engine speed to till.

/ B21 Tiller
its a B21 TLB rather than a BX. It has very robust power for everything else, but the PTO is weak comparatively speaking. It uses a HST with 3 speed ranges.

/ B21 Tiller #4  
I have been using a KK 48" with my B21 for the last 9 years. It works well but can push the power limits on virgin ground. I don't think I would switch to 60" unless I was only working an established garden bed with good soil.

MarkV

/ B21 Tiller #5  
I have a 66 inch First Choice. I use it behind a tractor with 40 PTO HP. Engine RPM's really fall off when lowered all the way down in vrigin soil. Good luck on getting a 60 inch to till with 13.5 PTO HP in any type soil, loose, established garden or virgin. In my opinion you will have a problem with a 48 inch with 13.5 PTO HP. Tillers are some what like a Rotary Cutter or Bush Hog, they like 5 HP per foot of width this is why KK recommends 20 PTO HP for the 48 inch.

/ B21 Tiller #6  
I have a 5' tiller on a B2710, which is rated 20hp PTO. It has plenty of power, I don't notice it dragging down the engine even in virgin clay. But I think cutting the horsepower by a third would be pushing it. Of course, once you get it started, you can adjust your speed down but I think I would pay attention to the manufacturer's ratings.

Did you check your Kubota owner's manual? It recommends a maximum of 42" for a tiller for the B21.

Make sure if you buy a tiller that it can be adjusted sideways to cover your one tire track.

Ken

/ B21 Tiller #7  
I have Bobcat CT 120 hst and Turf tires 14 pto hp with a 60 inch KK tiller (sandy loam/sod soil) . In my soil type and hst it works fine but a little slow. If (the 60 inch tiller) does not work quite fast enough for you take off some of the tines/teeth until it does. I think a 60 inch tiller may have better resale value down the road?:thumbsup:

/ B21 Tiller #8  
I use a 50" on my B7100 which has 16hp and I think rated for 13hp on the PTO. In soft pre-tilled ground where the tiller can really get deep it is right on the edge of pulling the engine down. I don't think it would handle a 60" very well.

/ B21 Tiller #9  
Correction on my earlier post. I walked by my tiller this morning and realized it was a 48", not a 60" on my B2710 (20 hp PTO). I certainly would not go to a 60" on a 13 hp tractor.

As for the suggestion to remove some tines, then you would be skipping areas. Best to just stick with something appropriately sized.

Ken

/ B21 Tiller #10  
Our B1750 has about the same low HP. We use an offset KUHN 40"? tiller and have no problem at all tilling in our heavy but rock-less soil. My dealer warned me against to large a tiller and I'm glad I listened.

I suppose you could get by with a 60" if you use a plow first or it was an established garden.

Another thing to consider...whatever you get plan on doing your friends/neighbors lot too.