B2150 Steering Problem

/ B2150 Steering Problem #1  

JohnMcF

We have a problem with our steering unit on our B2150. When you try to turn more than 15 degrees from straight ahead, the steering binds up. If you lift the wheels up and put them back down at full lock, you can easily take it back to center, but as soon as you get to the 15 degrees the other way it again binds up.

We have checked the pressure to the steering unit, and it is up to specs and the relief valve is operating at exactly the pressure the handbook says it should vent at.

The problem has been deteriorating for the last few months, but has become really bad recently. The machine is over ten years old, has done 2234 hours and has had no other problems before this very frustrating one.

Hopefully some kind person can point us in the right direction.

/ B2150 Steering Problem #2  
I can't help you with your problem, but I wanted to ask you a question. I am looking at a 2150 today. I want to cut my yard (3+ acres) and my fields (approx 10 acres). I will cut the fields about 2-3 times per year with a 5' brush hog that I have. Do you think that this tractor can handle the jobs? Have you had any other problems with this tractor? Any help will be appreciated.

/ B2150 Steering Problem
I am not completely sure what the term 'brush hog' means. We don't use that term here in New Zealand. I imagine that you mean a flail type mower. But we have used our tractor with a rotary hoe about 4' wide, and a rotary slasher about 6' wide. It copes with both of those well. I imagine that it will be able to cope with what you want to do with it.

We have not had any other problems with the tractor at all in the over 2200 hours we have done. That being said, we have serviced it regularly, oil changes and so forth. We have owned it since new, it has done work daily. The only fly in the ointment has been the steering problem that we have now.

We have fitted a frontend loader, and we have reinforced up the front wheels to cope with the extra weight (they started to crack).

Hope this helps

/ B2150 Steering Problem #4  
I got a B2150 last January with 1830hrs. I have a 4' Bush Hog (SQ480) that I have used to clear up to 3" saplings with no problem. I have used it plow and disc a large garden. I just had a Bush Hog FEL (1846 QT) installed two weeks ago, haven't used it much yet. With the proper sized implements, it has plenty of power. Looking to get a finish mower and roto-tiller next year. I love my tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I wouldn't mind getting a larger tractor in a couple of years when I can afford it. Mainly to be able to use larger implements.

/ B2150 Steering Problem #5  
I can think of two things to consider. First, have your checked the level of the Power steering fluid ?
And... does your B2150 have the "Bi-Speed Turn" option on it?
Perhaps that is a source fo the problem because the Bi-Speed engages when the wheels are turned to about 15 degrees.

Tim