B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio
Stick with the same size tires you have. We often have to balance with tire pressures to balance out the drive train. Run the fronts high but not over the maximum for loader use and then adjust the rears which typically is about ten to 12 lbs.

Tried that yesterday. Did not make much of a difference.

Keep in mind, when the front tire make one full rotation, the rear tire is at the 2 o'clock position. Thats about a 35% front tire lead, I think...

Maybe I am missing something. I cant believe the tires are that mismatched with the ratio. The Rolling Circumference for front and rear tires are provided by manufacturer. 106 for rear, 68.9 for front. When I enter those in the Titan Lead/Lag calculator using the B8200 Mechanical Ratio of 1.691 it equates to a 9.92% lead. The B8200 Mechanical Ratio should be good because it uses the same exact tires as the B2150. It makes sense that the ratio is also the same.

rScottys, how do we find the "internal mechanical ratio (which I call the 4wd ratio) of the tractor gearing"?

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio #12  
If the manufacture does provide the actual gear ratios in the front and rear differentials it can be quite difficult to calculate the ratio.
It is possible to jack up one side of the tractor and with it in gear and 4wd engaged rotate the rear tire one revolution while counting the revolutions of the front.
That will only get you the mechanical ratio.
As has been mentioned for tire sizing the loaded radius or loaded circumference is what will effect the lead lag of the system.
Every manufacture has slightly different values for the loaded radius.
Normally the front tires wear down faster then the rears which will reduce the effective lead/lag ratio,
new fronts of an identical size with worn rears will increase the lead over what the originals had till worn a bit.
As has been mentioned tire pressure and loading will greatly effect the lead lag ratios.

It is possible to jack up one side of the tractor and with it in gear and 4wd engaged rotate the rear tire one revolution while counting the revolutions of the front.
That will only get you the mechanical ratio.

Clutch in or out? jk :)

Knowledge is power as they say. Looks like more quality time with the Kubota!

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio #14  
Tried that yesterday. Did not make much of a difference.

Keep in mind, when the front tire make one full rotation, the rear tire is at the 2 o'clock position. Thats about a 35% front tire lead, I think...

Maybe I am missing something. I cant believe the tires are that mismatched with the ratio. The Rolling Circumference for front and rear tires are provided by manufacturer. 106 for rear, 68.9 for front. When I enter those in the Titan Lead/Lag calculator using the B8200 Mechanical Ratio of 1.691 it equates to a 9.92% lead. The B8200 Mechanical Ratio should be good because it uses the same exact tires as the B2150. It makes sense that the ratio is also the same.

rScottys, how do we find the "internal mechanical ratio (which I call the 4wd ratio) of the tractor gearing"?

I also found that adjusting the tire pressure did not make much of a difference in rolling circumference. But it might be because of the tires I used. Different tires could react differently.

It is easy to use the paint blob test and find out exactly how much - if any - difference it does make for your particular tires. I found a larger difference just with errors in my measurements than I could find with PSI. It is downright weird how the paint blob test shows me that I don't steer straight.

No, I doubt that 35% is accurate. Also I'm not sure I agree with that way of measuring.....

As for the B8200 mechanical ratio being good because of the tires being the same I would agree that is a good place to start. And in fact the ratio of 1.691 is a number that sounds familiar to me. It's been awhile since I did the tire swap (ag to turf) on the Yanmar YM336D tractor, but darned if that number doesn't sound familiar!!

So, if using that 1.691:1 number and the correct rolling circumference numbers gives you a 9.92% lead I would be inclined to believe it. And here is why:

We know that just how much lead to design for is going to always be a debate. However, I did measure and communicate with other owners who measured several other Japanese compact tractors over the years and have come to believe that the Japanese compact tractor manufacturers have a general general mechanical philosophy is to try to stay under 10%....but they don't mind being very close to 10%. That's quite a bit of lead, and could explain why you see some front drive shaft/U joint problems with several models of Japanese compacts.
If you suspect yours is close to 10%, then that's not unusual or surprising, but also a good reason to be choosey about the surface traction when using 4wd. Especially with a bucket load. Even more so when turning.

From what I've heard and the one that I measured , older US heavy loader/tractors and TLBs seemed to be designing closer to 5% lead or less. It obviously depends a lot on tire wear. I personally prefer 5% as a max on my own equipment.

We can kick it around and maybe we should. What do you think would be a good number for lead %? It's important that it be a positive lead for the fronts, but beyond that I think it's opinion as to just how much to design for. Has to do with windup stress and traction. Fuzzy numbers.

For curiosity, I set the 33 hp Yanmar (my wife's tractor) up with brand new tires and as near as I could get to zero percent lead but still slightly positive. Way less than 1%. Worked fine. It would smoothly shift into and out of 4wd at road speed just from road vibration. I ended up putting a latch on the 4wd lever. Now I do that on everything. (see attachment below)

MEASURING THE INTERNAL RATIO THE EASY WAY:
If you are careful, you can measure the internal ratio (engine off) by jacking up one side of the tractor, putting it in 4wd, and then using a very accurate pointer - like a piece of welding rod - to a chalk mark on the front and rear tires.
NOW PUT THE TRACTOR IN NEUTRAL, SO THAT THE POSITION OF THE CLUTCH DOESN'T MATTER. (edited thanks, Lou)
Slowly hand rotate the front tire, counting how many rotations of the front tire it takes until both tire marks line up again. That generally happens when the rear tire has made one complete revolution. Go very slow so as not to confuse things - you don't want to engage the differential spiders.
Do it a few times to confirm...you should get the exact same numbers again every time. If the numbers are way off and you counted right, repeat the test, but this time jack up the other side of the tractor. I found that sitting on a stool by the front tire was the best position to do my counting. Darn, I can't find my notes right now, but it can be a lot of rotations of the front wheel before the rear crawls around to the mark again. Anyway, when you are satisfied that you are getting good numbers that repeat, that rotation ratio IS YOUR INTERNAL GEAR RATIO.

I wonder if it will turn out to be very close to 1.691?

Enjoy, rScotty

Attachments

• 4x4 latch_2.JPG
    4x4 latch_2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

..., slowly hand rotate the front tire, counting how many rotations of the front tire it takes until both tire marks line up again. That generally happens when the rear tire has made one complete revolution. Go very slow so as not to confuse things - you don't want to engage the differential spiders.

Enjoy, rScotty

Sorry if I am misunderstanding;

Turn the rear tire until both marks on both tires are lined up again? Or, the rear tire makes one complete revolution and the front tire should make 1 and 7/10 of a revolution for a 1.691 ratio?

btw - I cut on steep slopes and have never had it pop out of 4wd. If it did, it could be catastrophic depending on when, where and the ground conditions. I may do something with the lever also. Good idea!

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio #17  
Clutch in or out? jk :)

Knowledge is power as they say. Looks like more quality time with the Kubota!

Actually as long as 4wd is engaged it doesn't matter, I would place the transmission in nuetral and not worry about the clutch.
Your 4wd is after your transmissions.

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio #18  
Actually as long as 4wd is engaged it doesn't matter, I would place the transmission in nuetral and not worry about the clutch.
Your 4wd is after your transmissions.

YES! You are right Lou,.... I was thinking wrong. Place the transmission in neutral and the clutch doesn't matter. The way I had him doing it in post #14 is silly - and it won't work. I'll go back and edit that post so that it is correct.
rScotty

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio #19  
Sorry if I am misunderstanding;

Turn the rear tire until both marks on both tires are lined up again? Or, the rear tire makes one complete revolution and the front tire should make 1 and 7/10 of a revolution for a 1.691 ratio?

btw - I cut on steep slopes and have never had it pop out of 4wd. If it did, it could be catastrophic depending on when, where and the ground conditions. I may do something with the lever also. Good idea!

Check Lou's message and I've edited the instructions in post #14. Sorry if I made it difficult...
SO FOR INTERNAL GEARING:
One side jacked up so both tires are off the ground, pointers and markers made, in neutral, clutch doesn't matter....

You now turn the FRONT tire by hand while counting the revolutions. - easy to do since both front and rear tires on that side are off the ground. Your goal is to keep turning the front tire & counting revolutions until the rear tire makes one complete revolution. The rear wheel only advances a partial revolution when the front tire rotates, so you will have to rotate the front as many times as it takes for the front's rolling circumference to approximently match the rear.

In this measurement we are actually looking at front versus rear AXLE revolutions. You need to remind yourself that while doing this measurement that the tractor doesn't know or care how big the tires are. It's really axle revolutions that matter to the internal gearing. The tires are just the most handy place to put a chalk mark. And since you started with the pointers clamped to the body of the tractor with the free end pointing at their respective chalk lines on the tires, when you have rotated the front tire enough times to make the rear tire complete EXACTLY ONE COMPLETE REVOLUTION, I believe you should at that point also end up with the pointer on the front wheel also back at its starting position pointing to its mark on the front tire.

Lou, please check me on this. I need to look again for those old notes.
rScotty

/ B2150hst 4WD Tire Help - Lead/Lag Mechanical Ratio #20  
I've done lots of tire swaps over the decades and only two methods work for me. One is to use the factory tire size and it will always be correct. If you can't do that, you have to get the front axle ratio one way or another from a dependable source such as a manual or the manufacturer. If you can't find it in a shop manual, just keep calling the factory and try to talk with an engineer. It might take a while but eventually you'll get someone that knows something, if for no other reason than to stop you from calling. Short of an answer from an engineer, I want to see the ratio in print somewhere and not word of mouth from someone that says they know. Use the rolling circumference numbers from the tire maker's site when you get the ratio.

Little known fact here is that I have seen new Kubotas with the axle ratio on a sticker on the back of the seat. Go figure.

We ought to do a sticky on this site with the confirmed axle ratio of various models and the source for the number. It would make things easier.