B26 or B2920?

/ B26 or B2920? #1  

RobbieBones

Silver Member
Although I've been surfing this site on and off this is my first post. So I guess I'm new here. Hi ALL!

First alittle back round. I live in Putnam county NY and pretty much live on 4 acres of ROCK. I have about 30,000 square feet of lawn the rest is wooded surrounded by old 4ft high stone walls. For the most part it's flat with some nice rock ledge or knolls. Nothing greater then a 8 percent slope except in the wooded part.

When I built my house in 1997. A total of 40 yards of fill came from the foundation hole the rest was rock, boulders! My house is 100ft long by 44ft wide includes garage. I had so much rock I had to start building retaining walls to tear the property just to make room. Cut in a 250ft driveway and got some more rock so I built a wall alongside the driveway as we went! All this work was done with a full size excavator and a Ford 455 backhoe both with hydraulic thumbs.(why would anybody not want a thumb)!

Well needless to say I got very friendly with the person I was paying to do this work and eventually he let me use the machines including alittle bulldozer. I learned how tough a 2ft stump can be! And how a 5ft diameter rock can tip a machine! And to load up the loader with rock when using the backhoe for more leverage. Man did I beat the @#$% OUT OF THEM!

Anyway to the question. I still have alot of unfinished work to get down like moving 2-3ft diameter rock, building some stone walls, some stumps, bluestone walk and patio, small pole barn (for the tractor to be), transplant trees, about fifty six foot evergreens compost piles, wood chips, mulch, firewood, small food plot for deer!

I saw the Bx24 next to a B26 And would like to see a B2920 next to a B26 if anyone as pictures? I would say the BX24 is out of the question and it's come down to the B2920 or B26. What do you guys think? I'm not in the excavating business so I can't justify a full size backhoe to the wife plus I need it more for finish work.

Which machine and what kind of prices should I except?

Thanks Robbie Bones

/ B26 or B2920? #2  
In this link, I posted pics of the B2920 next to a B3030: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/114670-b2320-b2620-b2920-18.html

The B3030 is the same size frame as the B26, though the FEL and backhoe are significantly more robust on the B26.

Since you beat on the bigger machines pretty good the first go around, you need to review the chore list and decide if you think there will be more beating on a machine, or if it will be much lighter duty 'cleanup'. Based on your explanation, it would seem as if there still may be a bit of heavy work left to do.

If that's the case, the B26 is going to handle the work much better than the B2920 TLB. The B2920 feels only slightly bigger than the BX TLB, and although is bigger and more powerful, may not quite be up to the tasks at hand.

One note - I don't think the pics quite show how much of a size difference there appears between the 2920 and 3030 as when you are sitting on them, walking around them, and observing them in person, side by side. For long term heavy digging, the B3030, although the same frame size, will not withstand the same abuses the B26 will, and I don't think the B2920 can stand up to the same abuse the B3030 can.

You really need to go see the 2 machines side by side to help make your decision.

/ B26 or B2920? #3  
It has been suggested before to other people and sounds like your might be the case. Why not buy a used full-sized backhoe instead of a smaller, new machine? With your description I think you would be better off with a full-sized machine.

/ B26 or B2920? #4  
Regradless of the full size debate, the B26 is MUCH more machine being from the Kubota construction grade TLB family. My ? is the L39 better money for your needs?

/ B26 or B2920? #5  
RobbieBones,
I faced the same dilemma as you. I spent the extra money for the B26 because of it's beefed up frame and stronger loader and backhoe. I have dug huge oak tree stumps, and have dug hard pan made out of iron ore and clay that is harder than concrete. I formerly rented a Case 580 backhoe for this work and so far I am thrilled to death with the B26. The other models have better PTO and implement pulling power but if you are serious about full time heavy duty digging, the B26 is the one. P.S. I paid $30,800 for the B26 with upgrades, a rhino rotary cutter and box blade. Hope this helps!

/ B26 or B2920?
Thanks To All that Replied!

But this just came up and need some input! A 2005 GL3130 with 215hrs bx90BH and LA723 frt loader, DT drive 4x4 32h diesel, seems well kept for 23,000 maybe alittle less.

How will this compare to the B26 and are there any issuesa with this unit?

/ B26 or B2920?
Okay so I thought I had it narrowed down to the B26 but then I found that GL3130 for sale (look at above thread)! So I have some questions for you guys.

Side by side which machine Wins!

The 2920 is out of the question! The used 3130 (213 hrs for 23,000.00) has no hydrulic thumb and is not HST. But has more wieght and a bigger stronger BH and Fel then the B26.(new 28700.00).

On my property I would say that I would be operating on grass, driveway, or in woods were I know were most of the rocks and stumps are. But if I were to try to make some money with it doing brush clearing or building rock walls etc on unknown property IS THE B26 TO LOW TO THE GROUND COMPARED TO THE 3130. FOR in the wood type of work?

With the money saved I could put a hydrulic thumb on the 3130 right? Any problems with that?

Is the GL3130 a stronger machine all around? Frame, HP, Breakout force.

And with 0% financing should I just look at a new 3240 instead?

Last edited:
   / B26 or B2920? #8  
RobbieBones said:
And with 0% financing should I just look at a new 3240 instead?

:D :D

And so the saga continues... :D

I know a reputable dealer that has a sub 150 hr L39 for under $28K. Might as well go with that, and he could deliver to wherever you are for (most likely) a pretty small delivery fee.

/ B26 or B2920?
Hey Bandit67,

I don't think he'll deliver it to NY. Maybe I could drive it back from my elk hunt I have planned.:D Everytime I see a L39, I say it's to big for my needs.

Bandit67 can you compare these machines for me one more time?
B26 new 28,700.00, GL3130 used 22,000.00, L3240 new ?.

How's the ground clearance on the B26?

/ B26 or B2920? #10  
For your needs I would agree with what Bandit suggested. The B26 is a great machine. If you wanted to save money you could look for a good B21-the model the B26 replaced.

If it had HST I would have suggested the 3130 as a good choice