B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output

/ B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output
After removing a little material from the raised spline back a half inch, the new U-joint installed easily.

Attachments

• 1_1.JPG
    1_1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
  • 1_2.JPG
    1_2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
  • 1_3.JPG
    1_3.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
  • 1_4.JPG
    1_4.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 1_5.JPG
    1_5.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 121
  • 1_6.JPG
    1_6.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
   / B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output #32  
Well congratulations. That is a most innovative repair. I sure do like it when the repair ends up better than the original.
rScotty

/ B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output #33  
Very nice work there, and wouldn't it be nice if Kubota thought ahead and put a access cover in that area and did what you did to the splined shaft to allow for R&R without splitting.

What in your estimation caused the fracture to that U-Joint? Seems like that would take a lot of torque to snap something that rigid - at least you didn't have a broken shaft coming out of the case!

Well congratulations. That is a most innovative repair. I sure do like it when the repair ends up better than the original.
rScotty
Thanks for your support. I hope to show how two simple mods can impower the person to find better ways of repairing our tools.

Very nice work there, and wouldn't it be nice if Kubota thought ahead and put a access cover in that area and did what you did to the splined shaft to allow for R&R without splitting.

What in your estimation caused the fracture to that U-Joint? Seems like that would take a lot of torque to snap something that rigid - at least you didn't have a broken shaft coming out of the case!
Unfortunately, money comes before honor, at least for now. I can see this all reversing right know. This U-Joint is the weakest link in the train. Which is good engineering practice, that is to sacrifice one so that the rest will go on. This U-Joint for the four wheel drive has always been engaged for the 799 hours it has been of service. The failure was due to high stress and loss of lubrication. The U-Joint had failed sometime ago and was making some not so nice sounds. I am also very thankful it was such a simple repair. When you walk away from the FEAR, False Evidence Appearing Real, you cam open yourself up to the infinite possibilities. Which in my belief is to connect with the divine.

/ B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output #36  
Yeah, I hate that. But I also try to work around it with substitutions and custom machine work. A machine shop can cut splines on a shaft or broach female splines.

JD is the worst I have run into, tho there are some seriously spendy OEM Kubota parts. I remember finding a substitute tie rod end for a JD 4300 that I still had to customize to fit. I am currently fabbing up a small hyd cyl that Ditch Witch prices at $700. Nuts.
I did the same on my JD4300 inboard tie rods. Found a set of Moog tierods for a malibu or something for $35 for the pair. Threaded the long shaft 1/2-20 to thread into the outer tie rod. At the time JD wanted over $100 ea for the inner rods. I've made several similar adaptations to keep my 4300 in service.

Sam, if you wind up splicing the shaft, be sure to keep the u-joints in phase when welding back together.

EDIT: I see that you got it fixed. Very inovative job. Now to grind the plasma cut smooth and fab a 3/16" cover plate, drill and tap the original, and bolt on.

Last edited:
I did the same on my JD4300 inboard tie rods. Found a set of Moog tierods for a malibu or something for $35 for the pair. Threaded the long shaft 1/2-20 to thread into the outer tie rod. At the time JD wanted over $100 ea for the inner rods. I've made several similar adaptations to keep my 4300 in service.

Sam, if you wind up splicing the shaft, be sure to keep the u-joints in phase when welding back together.

EDIT: I see that you got it fixed. Very inovative job. Now to grind the plasma cut smooth and fab a 3/16" cover plate, drill and tap the original, and bolt on.
It is great to hear your solution to the extorsion. Sadly the dealerships won't repair on anything but the sanctioned method. Thank God many of us can see beyond their methods.

/ B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output #38  
SNIP.......This U-Joint for the four wheel drive has always been engaged for the 799 hours it has been of service. The failure was due to high stress and loss of lubrication....
Speaking of lube, can you lube the new one?

/ B26 repair of broken u-joint on front drive shaft at HST output #40  
Have to keep this repair in mine. Nicely detailed and innovative work. Labor savings about paid for the plasma cutter. Which side did you cut from?

Our B26 stays in 4wd almost all the time. Sees no paved surfaces. 464 hours.
Same for the B20 it replaced at 3600hrs.

Properly done sealed bearings have a long life. Somethings like the steering connecting rod ball joints lack grease fittings and little assembly lubricant wear too quickly. Grease needle helped that.