B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid?

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid? #1  

zonedar

Tractor
Kubota B2601
Went to go mow next to the road this morning with my little kubota. Tractor got a little stuck in the muddy ground. Backed out and saw what looked like water on the ground.

Dismounted and saw that the rear tire had busted it's bead and there was hydraulic fluid all over the tire. Puddle was also what looked like clear hydraulic fluid.

Check dip stick and level was fine.

Ran the tractor several times looked all over for leaks. PTO running. Not running. etc. Can't see where it's coming from. Limped back to the house and got to looking closer and there's about a gallon of fluid inside the tire.

Took the tire off and still don't see how the hell it could get into the tire.

I bought the tractor new and I've never put ballast fluid in the tires so I don't think it's that.

Had a problem with the FEL coupler that caused me to have to put fluid in the transmission, but that was a quite a while ago. Once that was fixed it's kept the level.

Any thoughts?

-Steve

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid?
Well, checked the other tires valve stem at 3:00 and it's got fluid in it too. So must be either the factory or the dealer put some sort of ballast in it.

It's clear and has an oily consistency. Thoughts to what it might be?

Might see if I can get some into a jar and add some water to it to see if it separates or is water soluble.

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid? #3  
Could it be rubber lube where they mounted the tire, someone got a bit over zealous with it....maybe?

Way too much for that. Thinking it's some sort of ballast as the other tire has it in it, too.

I'll call the dealer on Monday and see if I can get the scoop.

Here's a sample of it. Pretty sure it's beet juice.

20220501_122237r.jpg

This is the same sample after diluting it with water. Not hydraulic fluid.

20220501_122421.jpg

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid? #6  
Beet juice has a sweetish smell, and dries sticky.

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid? #7  
It’s some type of ballast fluid. Your air pressure got low and it squirted out the bead.

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid? #9  
I guess its not out of the question that some mechanic had the bright idea to use their used UDT to load tires in new tractors. The last tractor my work bought came with beet juice loaded rear tires without us requesting it so i guess some dealers just do that. I could see some environmental types not being too happy about udt if thats what it truly is.

/ B2601 rear tire full of hydraulic fluid? #10  
If it is almost clear, has no smell and feels slippery, chances are it's calcium. It was often used as tire ballast before beet juice & synthetics.

Dip a finger in it and touch it to the tip of your tongue. If it tastes salty, it's calcium. Don't forget to spit it out and wash your mouth out afterward.