B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ?

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #1  

WarZ

Tractor
B2650
I've been reading analyzing and test driving tractors in my area for the last year. For my uses and what I consider a comfortably sized machine for me and my purposes, I want to buy a B2650.

However, I have one task that I have concerns as to whether I will be able to perform with it. I Have a 29' camper / travel trailer that weighs 4500 lbs dry weight. Might weight up to 5000 pounds loaded up. Tongue weight should be no more than 600lbs. So it's heavy but not too heavy. I was going to buy the 3pt hitch ball adapter frame (can't remember the correct name). My property has a slight grade across it, but it's not bad. I would go through one small dip going into the woods, but it's probably only 20 ft long and not really steep at all. Grass and dirt trails.

I suspect that the tractor will be able to pull the trailer effectively. But I don't know for sure power-wise. I know for weight the tractor will be a touch small for the purpose. But again the terrain I'm running shouldn't pose a serious problem in terms of the the trailer pushing me around.

Manual says the B2650 can handle 1100 lbs on the draw bar, and can tow 3300 lbs not including trailer. So I feel spec-wise I'm in the ball park.

So the question is for current B2650 owners to see if anyone tows this size weight trailer around their property effectively ?

To note, my 2nd choice of tractor in a larger size is going to be an L3901 or a CK4010H. I feel like they are a little big for what I want to do, besides the trailer pull. If I must I will go bigger, but I honestly don't want to at this time.

Thanks !
I appreciate the feedback.

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #2  
I suspect you will be fine. IMHO the biggest issue with moving rv's is on an incline where the trailer could drag or push the tractor.
I occasionally move an 8k RV around on flat ground with my L4060, but find it more difficult because I can't see anything like with the wider truck mirrors.

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #3  
I suspect you will be fine. IMHO the biggest issue with moving rv's is on an incline where the trailer could drag or push the tractor.
I occasionally move an 8k RV around on flat ground with my L4060, but find it more difficult because I can't see anything like with the wider truck mirrors.
I agree, with that size trailer the biggest problem will be seeing around it when backing up.
If your hill is fairly steep, you might try wiring up a switch and a trailer light plug to your battery so that you can turn on the trailer brakes if needed.

Aaron Z

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #4  
You shouldn’t have any issues. My concerns are left/right sloping vs up and down. The B2650 shouldn’t struggle. I have a B2601 and have moved a 26’ trailer.

However if I could redo my tractor purchase I’d probably go with a L2501. Once you get use to the B-series tractor it feels small. I use mine for maintaining 20 acres of woodlands/trails.

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #5  
Last summer I pulled a few hundred loads of fill in my 5x8 dump trailer with my BX.

The combined trailer/load weight was close to 4000 pounds many times. The slopes were about what you describe or steeper.

If you scale my experience up a bit, it indicates what you want to do should work fine. My BX has four foam filled tires and I kept the MMM on for extra weight, but still the trailer weight was probably double the tractor weigh (or more) a lot of the time. My only issue was losing traction if the grass was damp going up slope. Also would lift the front wheels if the 3ph was up too high.

Here is a picture of the combination:

5FF9C6B8-EDEB-4297-81A3-F0D484BBD1F6.jpeg

I also have a B2910, and agree if I were buying today I would likely purchase a L2501...:thumbsup:

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #6  
I find it is easier to push trailers with a ball unit on the FEL. I push my 18' dual axle trailer loaded easily with my BX. My single axle dump trailer handles well also, on that have to watch the tongue weight. But raising the bed shifts the COG rearward to overcome that. Counter weight, yes. I wold never pull or push a trailer sideways on much of a slope. Did that once, last time for me.

Ron

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #7  
I move several trailers around an almost flat yard with a GC2610 using the FEL. A full load of gravel in a trailer made of an old 3/4 ton pickup box, a 25' 5th. wheel weighing about 5000 lbs and a 25' cabin cruiser weighing about 7000 lbs.

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #8  
I have a 3350 that use to tow a 14 landscape trailer. I think, and I may be wrong, that the three point hitch will rise up if the tongue looses weight. I use a draw bar inserted just behind the hst keeping weight close to the axle and fairly level.

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #9  
Last summer I pulled a few hundred loads of fill in my 5x8 dump trailer with my BX.

The combined trailer/load weight was close to 4000 pounds many times. The slopes were about what you describe or steeper.

If you scale my experience up a bit, it indicates what you want to do should work fine. My BX has four foam filled tires and I kept the MMM on for extra weight, but still the trailer weight was probably double the tractor weigh (or more) a lot of the time. My only issue was losing traction if the grass was damp going up slope. Also would lift the front wheels if the 3ph was up too high.

Here is a picture of the combination:

View attachment 605428

I also have a B2910, and agree if I were buying today I would likely purchase a L2501...
I'm assuming the Bs & BXes have a drawbar. If so you REALLY should use them instead of the 3pt. A 3pt with a heavy trailer can lift the 3pt & roll the tractor when the center of gravity suddenly changes. Not a big deal for a light trailer or on flat ground. But if there are any hills or unexpected dips it can get dangerous quickly.

/ B2650 Owners - Anyone Tow Their Campers Around Property ? #10  
IMG_0932.JPGIMG_0933.JPG
Pintle hitch military trailer with B26.
Sometimes with heavy load of mulch or fire wood. Trailers should not be attached to 3pt hitch. Drawbar only.
I can drag the bucket for brake or control.
Could maybe move your TT but go slow.