B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #1  

Bronco82

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
I have 291 hours on my B2650. Love the tractor. But recently, it has picked up this not starting thing. I go out to turn the key, sitting on the seat with the parking brake set, and the dash lights come on, but no attempts to turn over. If I wiggle the HST pedal forward and backwards, I usually find a sweet spot that it will start at, and on most occasions it will start, idle and run fine. Other times, as soon as I move my foot, it stalls again and cannot get it to start. I have left it, came back a few days later and it has started and idled fine.

So that's one issue, and the other issue is, when I am stopped, sitting on the tractor, or after I have set the parking brake and gotten off the tractor, it will stall. The dash lights will remain on, but the engine shuts off. Now, not all the time, but intermittently of course.

I can see the first problem being related to the HST pedal switch by the rear of it not working properly, due to dirt, debris, whatever, but I would not THINK that that would cause it to stall when the parking brake is set and I am off the tractor, or why it would even stall at idle.

Thank you much in advance folks.

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #2  
Maybe your MMM shifter or the PTO shifter is just a little off or just plain out of adjustment which is causing your problems.

Cheers,
Mike

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two
I have moved every lever up or down, on and then back off, with no change.

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #4  
The pto switch could cause the engine to shutoff. Seat switches cause me griff. CorrosionX and adjustment of switches critical especially with age.

Some, all? HST treadles have a grease zerk.

Had trouble with intermediate HST pedal being stiff and finally found a goldenrod stem had expertly and almost invisible lodged in the linkage underneath.

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #5  
291 hours. Still under warranty/extended warranty? Have the dealer look at it if it is. probably sensors/switches out of alignment or a chafed wire? how good are you with a multimeter? & do you have a wiring diagram to trace circuits? Something different happen right before it started acting up? Branches caught up in the underside?/sat out in rain/flood? different fuel supplier? when did you change fuel filter? air filter? does it have a Water in Fuel sensor? mass air flow sensor? any codes? too many variables.

There is not a zerk on the HST treadle. I have checked, and checked again. There is on the brake pedal, but not the treadle pedal. It is highly possible that some grass I was mowing may have blown into a linkage causing the treadle pedal issue, but I gave the switch a good spray of WD-40 and moved the pedal back and forth watching the switch and it LOOKED alright.

It is still under warranty, but it's an intermittent problem and I would hate to bring it to the dealer 45 minutes away to have it operate normally for them while it's there, only to bring it back and happen again down the road. I am alright with a multimeter and do have the print-off on testing the pedal switch.

The problem first started when it stalled on me when I was removing old stumps from the ditch with my loader bucket, wasn't running hot, not high rpms, just wouldn't start. It was taller grass, but I can't see any grass/branch pieces jammed anywhere. The tractor is stored in a pole barn with the doors slid shut. Newer fuel from the same station down the road. Full fluid change last year including all filters. And it idles and revs fine, which leads me to believe that it is not a fuel thing, but a sensor/switch thing.

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #7  
Any wires/harnesses or linkages look out of place or susceptible to damage? By "removing old stumps from a ditch with loader bucket", were you loader down/rear up perpendicular to the ditch? Maybe you cut into your ground clearance mid-frame & moved/rubbed/dislodged something or loosened a connector?

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #8  
There are 4 safety switches 12,13,14 and 15. Tractor will start if not on seat if 12,13 and 14 are satisfied. If so and tractor dies when you depress HST pedal it usually points to the seat switch contact.

1658156890087.png

Nothing looks chewed/frayed/out of place. And by moving stumps out of the ditch, it is a large ditch, dry, that I was driving my tractor in, and just using the loader bucket to lift stumps previously pushed into the ditch up and drag them back to the top to clean them off and cut them apart to not be such an eyesore... a whole other story.

And the tractor does not die when I push the pedal, but that was the only way I could get it to start a few times, was by rocking the pedal back and forth to find a sweet spot where I assume the switch is properly engaged. Which is quite baffling as I knelt beside the tractor and rocked the pedal and the switch APPEARED like it was moving properly.

As for the tractor does not start if not on the seat, that safety on mine is definitely not working as many times, I have been standing beside the tractor, with the parking brake on, and started the tractor.

/ B2650 stalling or not starting - one problem or two #10  
Correction - all have to be satisfied. Still leaning to seat switch or brake switch. One you get running with PTO on, lift off seat and should shut down (indicates PTO switch working) same with HST pedal, if it dies while moving when you get off seat its working. The tractor will start if the brake is locked down and 12 and 14 are satisfied.