B2910 Diff Lock

/ B2910 Diff Lock #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
I bought my B2910 used with 320 hours. The Diff Lock is difficult to engage. Takes considerable heel pressure on the pedal and it seems to only engage in the last 1/4 inch of pedal travel. If I push the pedal until resistance is felt and stop, it does not engage. Only additional pressure to get that last 1/4 inch is effective and then the pedal is almost touching the floorboard. I'm talking about enough pressure that it requires lifting some weight off the seat. Is this normal??? Thanks in advance.

/ B2910 Diff Lock #2  
ovrszd said:
I bought my B2910 used with 320 hours. The Diff Lock is difficult to engage. Takes considerable heel pressure on the pedal and it seems to only engage in the last 1/4 inch of pedal travel. If I push the pedal until resistance is felt and stop, it does not engage. Only additional pressure to get that last 1/4 inch is effective and then the pedal is almost touching the floorboard. I'm talking about enough pressure that it requires lifting some weight off the seat. Is this normal??? Thanks in advance.

My new L3400 is about that way and so is my twenty something Ford.

/ B2910 Diff Lock #3  
ovrszd said:
I'm talking about enough pressure that it requires lifting some weight off the seat. Is this normal??? Thanks in advance.
That's normal

/ B2910 Diff Lock #4  
Just as a point of reference for you, my B3030 does not operate like that. The diff lock is very easy to apply. About 2 inches of travel and it engages after the first inch. My first thought is an adjustment problem or a bent diff lock pedal that does not allow full travel. I can't believe something like that would be normal. The diff lock is not a clutch that needs pressure to engage. It is basically a spring loaded pin that locks both axles together. The pedal pushes the pin towards engagement via a spring that applies pressure to it until it lines up with a hole or slot. It is not a good idea to engage the diff lock when only one wheel is spinning. You should stop if a wheel breaks loose, engage the diff lock and then slowly start going again The diff lock will then engage both wheels when the pin/hole lines up. I learned this method the hard way after breaking the diff lock pin on a Ford 3000. Maybe your diff lock pin is broken and the only way you can engage it is by pushing it to the limit of it's travel. Perhaps enough of it is still there to make the diff lock work. I would talk to a dealer about it. Good luck.

/ B2910 Diff Lock #5  
I'd be lubricating the linkage pivots.

/ B2910 Diff Lock
Thanks ccsial and Kubotaone. Sounds like I'll just have to get used to it. :)

/ B2910 Diff Lock #7  
Same here on my 3030, differential locks in & out smooth and easy.

/ B2910 Diff Lock #8  
My BX24 diff lock only engages at certain spots. I think there is either a slot or a gap in the diff where the engagement pin will slip into and the rest of the rotation the pin will not go in and the pedal will not go all the way down. I have learned to put a slight pressure on the pedal and move the tractor forward or back a little until the pedal goes to the floor.

/ B2910 Diff Lock #9  
my new B7800 dif-lock has a small bit of play in it but i only have to place normal pressure on in in order to "feel" it lock in place. Where I live I use that diff-lock every time on the tractor

/ B2910 Diff Lock #10  
I'm a Kubota rookie.....I know what the dif lock does and the advantages, however can I engage it while in 4wd? I have yet to use it and probably could have on numerous occasions. After reading your posts I realize that you should be stopped first and then engage the dif lock only long enough to get you out of that sticky situation.

thanks