b2910 front axle leak

/ b2910 front axle leak #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Three weeks ago, I did the 400 hr service on by b2910. A required item was to change front axle case oil. I change the oil and replace it with 85w140 gear oil. I also ajusted the front axle pivot.

A leak has started where front axle pivot assembly attaches to the front axle case. Leak is a couple drops a day. I can't get the attachment to work, but its part 050 on page 121 of my parts manual, the 0 ring is part 090. I have a couple of questions:

1. Could my adjustment of the front axle pivot caused the leak to start? I have tried to readjust the pivot, but the leak continues.

2. Could the problem be that the 0-ring is worn? And if so, is it as easy is unbolting the front axle pivot assembly and replacing the 0 ring? This seem unlikely as these don't normally wear out?

3. Could the weight and type oil I used be causing the leak?

/ b2910 front axle leak
Here's the attachment referenced in the below post:
Three weeks ago, I did the 400 hr service on by b2910. A required item was to change front axle case oil. I change the oil and replace it with 85w140 gear oil. I also ajusted the front axle pivot.

A leak has started where front axle pivot assembly attaches to the front axle case. Leak is a couple drops a day. See attachement, part 050. I have a couple of questions

1. Could my adjustment of the front axle pivot caused the leak to start? I have tried to readjust the pivot, but the leak continues.

2. Could the problem be that the 0-ring is worn? And if so, is it as easy is unbolting the front axle pivot assembly and replacing the 0 ring? This seem unlikely as these don't normally wear out?

3. Could the weight and type oil I used be causing the leak?

Attachments

• FRONT AXEL 4 002.bmp
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,562
   / b2910 front axle leak #3  
I prefer to use the "KISS" principle. I figure any time something is working fine, I mess with it, then it doesn't work fine, the culprit is probably whatever I did to it.

With that said, it's a fair assumption to think the leak has been caused by either overfilling the axle or the pivot adjustment. If it's not overfull, then it must be the adjustment process.

I didn't mess with my pivot adjustment at 400 hours because I didn't see any problems. Is it possible to either have it too loose which could allow oil to leak around the O rings?? Or is it possible to have it too tight which might chew out the O rings??

I don't think oil type would matter. I'm trying to think what my manual called for??? Seems to me mine said to use the same oil that's in the trans/hydraulics?? If so, that's simply hydraulic oil. Wouldn't think that 80-90w would be more likely to leak than lightweight hydraulic oil. But I guess it could have an adverse effect on the O rings.

You might try a pm to Messick's. I can't think of his first name. He's on here frequently and would gladly offer his suggestions. Good Luck!!!

/ b2910 front axle leak #4  
I think the front axle is supposed to have Super UDT in it, not heavy gear oil. That's what I always used in mine. The drive gears spinning in the heavy oil may be creating enough pressure to overpower the o-rings.

/ b2910 front axle leak #5  
Bringing this back to the top.

I was wondering if anyone has corrected this front axle pivot leak with a simple adjustment of the pivot nut / pin??

At 450 hours I have a bad leak that just started under the front axle pivot area of my BX 1500. I just received my shop and parts manual yesterday.

Has anyone taken this assembly apart if so how straight forward and time consuming did it turn out to be?? It looks like just remove the steering control arm and pull the pivot bolt with some collars and O-rings straight out.

I'm also considering going with 90 weight gear oil instead of the thin SUDT.

I will be working on it this weekend. Thanks for any input. ;)

/ b2910 front axle leak #6  
hayden said:
I think the front axle is supposed to have Super UDT in it, not heavy gear oil. That's what I always used in mine. The drive gears spinning in the heavy oil may be creating enough pressure to overpower the o-rings.

FWIW, There is another member that rebuilt front axle on his B2910. He went from using super UDT to using gear oil. In his post he stated the manual said either would suffice.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/125310-lesson-learned.html

/ b2910 front axle leak #7  
Barry H, any luck fixing the leak? I have a similar issue with both sides of my BX23,

Any special tools needed, approx. time. Which seal was leaking? Thanks

/ b2910 front axle leak #8  
Hi Jeff, I just saw this post. My axle leak originated in the middle pivot area / needed to replace O-rings and bushings. Yes is was a pain but, I did get it fixed. As far as tools go I used regular shop tools including metric wrenches, torque wrench. It took me approximately 6 hours after waiting a week for parts.

For your fix I believe you may need the addition of a good set of snap ring pliers. You should be able to do this at home if you have good mechanical ability's, only you would know about that. Just take your time.

It's no fun but ,sure beats paying out the money to have Kubota do it. Good luck hope it all works out for you. ;)

/ b2910 front axle leak #9  
I had the same issue as Barry with my 1500. I replaced the o rings and then tightened the nut down til it was fairly tight. When I torqued it to their specs, it still leaked a little. When I tourqued it til it was fairly tight, the leak stopped and hasn't restarted.

/ b2910 front axle leak #10  
How did you get the bushings out? My bx1500 seems to let them go in and out one way.

What's the trick?