B2920 and Core Aerator type

/ B2920 and Core Aerator type #1  

jambx

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB, ZD21-60P, 1949 US Baird Beaver
With the price of aerators / pluggers I want to be sure I make the best choice - hence looking for feedback.

I am looking to purchase a 3 pt core aerator soon and was wondering if anyone has an experience between these two designs (with and without the plugs attatched to the drum).

Does one design offers more benefit than the other?

I was told the drum will offer additional weight which I assume means more weight more penetration - but the other conventional one may do better in turns (not rip up a lawn) but would have to weigh it down.

Also, would you think the 60 inch would be a bit too big for my B2920 - most of my attachments are 48 inch although I pull a 60 inch rake but I heard the pluggers can be a real challenge when fully engaged with the ground.

Thanks,

~jim

Attachments

• SO-5ft-3pt-Aerator-2.jpg
    SO-5ft-3pt-Aerator-2.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 164
  • SO-5ft-3pt-Aerator-3.jpg
    SO-5ft-3pt-Aerator-3.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 214
  • SO-5ft-3pt-Aerator-7.jpg
    SO-5ft-3pt-Aerator-7.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 132
  • UF-Plugger-2.jpg
    UF-Plugger-2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 185
  • UF-Plugger-3.jpg
    UF-Plugger-3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 174
  • UF-Plugger-6.jpg
    UF-Plugger-6.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 183
   / B2920 and Core Aerator type #2  
Jim I have a 60" model similar to the one in the first photo. It looks like mine has more spoons and I think the drum, that you fill with water, is larger on mine. It is no problem to pull it with a 21 hp Kubota. I have even pulled it with an ATV. You will want to lift it for sharp turns which I have never found that inconvenient.

MarkV

/ B2920 and Core Aerator type #3  
A 60 will be fine on the 2920. I have a 48" turf vent and my machine never even knows it is there. I put 2 recycling bins full of large rocks on top for weight. The unit was about 600 from gemplers online. I have been surprised at how expensive some of these units are.
You will want to lift any of them in a turn or they will mess up the lawn.

/ B2920 and Core Aerator type
Thanks guys - I am sticker shocked as well. Especially when you compare the outlay to a tiller which for just a little bit more you are getting a gear-box, tines, PTO shafts etc :confused:

I dont want to spend ~$1500 and be disappointed.

I thought the B should handle a 60 inch fine, the specs on one of the was approaching ~850 lbs.

I wise they made more implements in the mid 50 inch range.

Back to the research:)