B2920 - could no jump start

/ B2920 - could no jump start #1  

Bengt

Tractor
B2920
Hi,

The other day my B2920's wouldn't start. The symptoms were clicking sounds, sounds as if some gear didn't fully engage, and the occasional attempt turn
over.

Suspecting the battery we tried jump starting with a car battery, but that didn't work either. So we feared something worse and called the dealer.

A mechanic came out, took a look, replaced the battery, and everything is fine again - except an unplanned dip in the checking account balance.

I couldn't get a good explanation for why jump starting did not work. Does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Bengt

/ B2920 - could no jump start #2  
Since a new battery got you going again it's possible your jumper cables are not up to the task. Maybe poor connections on the clamp ends.
When you jumped it from a car battery was that battery in a running car or by itself. If by itself it might not have been up to par. If it was in a running car then its back to poor cables.
I take the clamps off my jumpers every couple years and clean the cable ends and clamp connctions. Youd be surprised how much oxidation / corrosion can build up there.

/ B2920 - could no jump start
We left the car running while trying to start the tractor.
Good thought on the cables. I wiggled the clamps to make good contact, but these were not heavy duty cables and may have incurred losses.
Something to keep in mind for next time. Thanks!

/ B2920 - could no jump start #4  
I'll bet the tech cleaned all of the connections. Also, a bad battery might have an internal short that would draw current away from the system. I replace my stock batteries, when they die, with Ultima because of the rough service.