B2920 won’t start

/ B2920 won’t start #1  

mhart

Silver Member
Hey guys

Used tractor a couple weeks ago to bushhog. Has not been used since. Seemed to run fine then.

When I went to start it yesterday it won’t turn over at all. Lights work, makes clicking noise when turning key. But won’t turn over at all. Tried to jump and nothing so not battery.

Made sure fuses are ok, PTO is off, pedal not stuck etc.

Ran the tank pretty low so was wondering if maybe air in fuel line? If that were case, would engine still try to turn?

Tractor is about 8 years old. Gets weekly use, but has only about 300 hours.

Any thoughts?? Very much appreciate it.

/ B2920 won’t start #2  
yes with air in the lines it will still turn over just may not start. Sounds like a bad power connection check and clean your battery connections and the ground connection on the frame/engine

/ B2920 won’t start
yes with air in the lines it will still turn over just may not start. Sounds like a bad power connection check and clean your battery connections and the ground connection on the frame/engine

Thanks so much for replying. I tried to jump it and nothing. I will check connections. Where is the ground connection? Sorry for novice questions.

/ B2920 won’t start #4  
sorry I don't know this tractor so cannot tell you just where it connects. Just follow the ground wire from the battery to where it connects to the engine or it could also be connected to the frame but probably engine, should be easy to find. Remove bolt holding it on and wire brush all the rust off and reconnect. Would also be a good idea to coat it with dielectric grease to make better contact and prevent from more corrosion. This is a common problem with all tractors as they age and rust. Clean the battery terminals and add dielectric grease or spray with a battery terminal protector spray both are available at all auto parts stores. The lights do not much current but the starter does and the corrosion will not allow high current to pass thru even when jumping it.

Last edited:
   / B2920 won’t start
Well unfortunately all of this looks ok. Any ideas on where to go next?

/ B2920 won’t start #6  
I think Gimmodog is correct. You can't always tell by looking at the connections. You have to physically remove the ground from the frame and clean it even if it looks clean. Once that is done try starting it again. If it still doesn't start try Where the heavy gauge wire connects to the starter. In short, look for all heavy gauge wire connections, remove, clean and try starting. Keep this up until it actually starts. It's losing voltage somewhere.

/ B2920 won’t start #7  
Have you had the battery tested? Just because the lights come on doesn't mean there is enough current to start it. And if it has a dead cell, you may not be able to jump start it

/ B2920 won’t start #8  
Did you cycle PTO lever? Transmission pedal position? Seat switch? Brake pedal if interlocked. Sounds elementary but at least is should jump even if battery is dead. It’s a switch or a lever.

/ B2920 won’t start #9  
Also check the throttle lever that is next to the brake lever. Mine got shifted somehow and no start—went through every other item 3 times before discovering this. It was with a B2320 by the way.

/ B2920 won’t start #10  
Re: B2920 won稚 start

wow. and I just finished my thread on checking the ignition switch after a lot of digging into my 90 L2550 Kubota and what takes place to start one of these.
OK, you tried to jump it. Some thoughts from this really recent issue of mine (fixed today)
When jumping it, Did it turn over or just seem to go click click? Did you use batt ground, or frame as ground.

When you turn the key to RUN.. do you get any lights on the dash. My L seems to put up all lit as a test. then I start.
This means that your RUN ignition is correctly passing 12V and is a quick test of that at least.

There are several fuse points. An inline starter fuse down on the starter of mine. your Manuals wiring diagram will show if your B has one.
download online from Kb or some of the sites what offer free manuals.

My L has a fusebox w/ 4 or 5 fuses as well. there is a 15A for the starting interlocks if I recall. Chech for a fuse box.

If you have a meter, you can connect up your Meter to your starter and see if the starter Solenoid is being told to engage when you turn key to start. Even a HF $5 meter will be fine.

...and there are several interlocks on my system to prevent starting if:
Oil indicator NO oil ,or faulty sensor.. no start.
A clutch down safety switch also in series. No clutch down, no start / no turn over.
and.. the print even shows an air sensor on it. also in the mix to prevent starting. never did trace that down... but maybe yours has something?

...and then, just buying $9 dollar Denso solenoid kit, (which did not repair it), I ended up going back up to checking the ignition switch... that ended up being the problem and I just repaired it today. I doubt this is your issue.. that would be Halloween spooky!! (yeah, it's Halloween today). The ignition switch on my L requires 3 closed contacts from the ignition switch to all pass 12V to start her. Mine went kaput.
I see from the post that the lights come on. Did that mean when you turned the key to run?

Keep us posted and good luck.