B3030 and B26

/ B3030 and B26 #1  

The Gardener

Gold Member
B26 and B3030 [cab and BH]

They certainly seem close in many respects. I am still undecided. I was almost convinced that the B26 was the answer. But, the B3030 with a cab, A/C, and a brush hog sure sounds nice for cutting the acreage. Then again, the B26 has more FEL and backhoe capacity which is important for the extensive rock and tree work we are facing.

I don't know tractor specs well enough to make determinations regarding the differences. Could some of you please elaborate on the pros and cons of these specs. Would they be detectable or very close in performance?

[1] Horsepower:
B3030 ..... 30hp
B26......... 26hp

[2] PTO for a brush hog
B3030 ..... 23hp
B26......... 19.5hp

[3] Hydraulic pump for backhoe use
B3030 w/ Woods BH model # ? .... 9.1 gpm
B26......................................... 11.2 gpm

[4] Engines
B3030 ..... 4cylinders
B26 ........ 3 cylinders

Given our needs list of excavating boulders, transporting and placing rocks on walls and in gardens, moving trees, digging out stumps, burying stumps, burying boulders, and brush hogging 6-7 acres of field and lawn, does anyone see a clear cut choice between the B26 or the B3030 [cab and BH] ???

Many Many Thanks!!!
The Gardener

/ B3030 and B26 #2  
You are really set on a smaller tractor? I wonder if there are any good almost new L35's available. They turn on a dime!

My neighbor found out real quick how gutless his L3400 is for ground engagement and digging.

/ B3030 and B26 #3  
mike69440 said:
You are really set on a smaller tractor? I wonder if there are any good almost new L35's available. They turn on a dime!

My neighbor found out real quick how gutless his L3400 is for ground engagement and digging.

Apparantely he is not using the correct tool or have something set up right, my BH and BB attachments dig just fine and pulling a 5" disk is no problem either and I am using the L2800.
If he is trying to dig unbroken ground with the FEL then yes I can see where he is having a problem.

/ B3030 and B26
You are really set on a smaller tractor?

Our previous tractor weighed around 2000#. I like the that size due to the many needs we are facing in and around the extensive gardens that are close to the house. There are also tight areas that would be difficult to access with the larger tractors, and curb weight is the reason I ruled out the L39 [which I really like]. I have spent years repairing tire ruts in our lawn due to truck and tractor traffic as necessary jobs were being hired out. I'd like to avoid making more ruts with my own tractor since we do see a fair amount of rain.

The B26 and the B3030 weigh in at approximately 4100# with a BH attached. Without the BH and a brush hog in its place, they should come close to 3200# +/- which seems like a good weight for softer terrain.

Cost is certainly another factor. The difference in price between the B26 and the L39 would make for a nice down payment. I also want to buy a new tractor which includes dealer support and a warranty.

/ B3030 and B26 #5  
Not everyone WANTS a heavy tractor.

Not everyone knows how to operate their implements.

So far, only ONE poster would describe the L3400 as "gutless". Hilarious.

And an ever increasing number of posters here think that Bigger is always Better and that all machines are doo-doo unless they are the M5XXX series.

Ultimately like all of us, you'll have to wade through the chaff and do your best to make an informed decision.

Both of those machines are good units. The B26 is designed as a small commercial unit. The B3030 represents state of the art compact tractor in the mid range loaded with ergonomics.

Oh .. and most of those activities you plan on using a tractor for are temporary. You will run out of bolders eventually and not need any more rock walls and run out of stumps ... cutting, digging, moving snow or mulch, etc, will go on ad nasueum... Plan your purchase around THOSE types of activities ... not the former ...

/ B3030 and B26 #6  
There is just one thing I see that makes me love my B26 and that is the reach for the FEL control stick. I never gave it a thought all the 23 years I had to reach for it, but now I have the arm rest and the joy stick right there in my hand I wouldn't ever change. If it came the other way I would find a way to go to the B26 way with the arm rest either myself or with the fabricator. :)
The Gotcha Man

/ B3030 and B26
Both of those machines are good units.

Absolutely. That's making this a very difficult decision, yet it appears to be one of those wonderful win win scenarios.

The B26 is designed as a small commercial unit.

Can you, or someone, please explain why and how. They seem to be very close with regards to their specifications.

The B3030 represents state of the art compact tractor in the mid range loaded with ergonomics.

The ergonomics and cruise control are things that may be the deciding factor. I am unsure I need some of these creature comforts. Then again, mowing is a big need, and the A/C coupled with cruise control sure sound appealing.

The Gardener

/ B3030 and B26
... cutting, digging, moving snow or mulch, etc, will go on ad nasueum... Plan your purchase around THOSE types of activities ... not the former

That's a very good point. Cutting the lawn, especially, is an endless effort.

/ B3030 and B26 #9  
The Gardener said:
... cutting, digging, moving snow or mulch, etc, will go on ad nasueum... Plan your purchase around THOSE types of activities ... not the former That's a very good point. Cutting the lawn, especially, is an endless effort.
Which is why you'd be better off with a B3030. The FEL on the B26 doesn't appear to be the quick-tach type (I don't even see parking stands on it), and thereby is meant to stay on the tractor. On the Kubota website there's even a retarded picture of a B26 running a bush hog... with the FEL on! Really want to do that? Maybe if your property is 100% grass - no fence, trees, shrubs, etc.

I share your concerns with wet lawns, heavy tractors, and ruts... which is why I strip everything off of my B3030 that isn't nailed down when I mow w/it.

Over the long haul I think you'd find that the B3030 is more versatile (especially for the homeowner) while the B26 is really intended to be a purpose-built piece of construction eqpt.

/ B3030 and B26 #10  
Gardener
The B3030 represents state of the art compact tractor in the mid range loaded with ergonomics.

The ergonomics and cruise control are things that may be the deciding factor. I am unsure I need some of these creature comforts. Then again, mowing is a big need, and the A/C coupled with cruise control sure sound appealing.

The Gardener[/QUOTE]
You loose the mowing ability with the B26? Isn't that one of your biggest things that you need and if it is, it sounds like you go to the 3030. :)
The Gotcha Mna