B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #1  

The Gardener

Gold Member
Re" Horsepower draw-down using HST, a MMM, and A/C

I have read that HST draws on the overall horsepower. I am wondering how much draw on the horsepower occurs if you are running a B3030 using HST and a 72" MMM [in my case] while riding in its air conditioned cab.

Is it detectable in terms of the quality of the grass cutting performance?

How [and how often] do you clean the under side of your B3030 MMM?

Thanks!
The Gardener

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #2  
I'd have little concern of the "hydro draw down" that I believe you are refering to. I just switched a fellow with an L-series gear with a 60" deck to a hydro with a 72" deck and three less horsepower! He's told me he loves the hydro and the tractor is great! I think you'll love it!!!

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM
That sounds great. The HST [hydro] draw is a not a concern. Thanks!

Might you know if the addition of A/C to this equation will be any different w/ respect to cutting performance. The B3030 has 30hp. I'd prefer a 72" cutting deck. I am undecided on a MMM or a RFM.

The Gardener

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #4  
Howdy,
Having everything you are thinking about getting and the additional weight of the FEL the Horsepower draw is non existant. I cut the lawn at around half throttle with the big deck and A/C on and I have never run out of power. If you do start to bog the mower speed down just ease off the forward pedal or use a different range. If the grass is tall and heavy I use mid range. Otherwise i have it in high gear.

Cleaning...I run through some loose stones every now and then and that takes care of the buildup (if any)
Jeff

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #5  
The Gardener said:
... if you are running a B3030 using HST and a 72" MMM [in my case] while riding in its air conditioned cab ...
Gonna pony up all those extra Benjamins for the 72"? Like some of us cautioned you, if your ground isn't real smooth you'll have some issues. Also, no factory bagger for the 72" (if that's a consideration).

The Gardener said:
How [and how often] do you clean the under side of your B3030 MMM?
This is one of those questions that everybody has an opinion on, where there's no right or wrong only shades of orange, like changing fluid X before the manual says to, or hey, B3030 vs B26 :p
Cleaning and greasing are two areas where the MMM manuals leave alot to the imagination (a la "Daily Check"), and there's no shortage of imaginative & creative thinking on TBN.

What I have been doing (I say have, b/c lately I've been thinking about some changes) is every 10 hours of MMM use, I take it off, hoist it with the FEL, power wash it, dry it, grease everything real good, and put it back on (or away).

First item likely to spark a debate is the power washer, cause (a) it can take paint off, and (b) you can force water into the bearings. My thoughts are use common sense - (a) set the pressure just enough to take grass buildup off, not "cleave diamonds", and (b) don't spray directly at parts with grease in them. I've yet to blast any powder coat off. Still, water can be sneaky, hence the greasing afterwards which should force any out ahead of the old grease. Sometimes in between, I had put the FEL on to jack the tractor up in front and power wash the MMM on the tractor, but I more or less stopped doing that 'cause 10 hours comes fast enough for me and I don't think this heavy gauge deck is going to rust out anytime soon. Another method I've heard is periodically scraping the buildup off with something akin to a plastic putty knife, but I'm a hair short on the patience for that.

Just what I've done, subject to refinement. Interesting, if you look at maintenance for ZTRs most greasing intervals spec 25 to 50 hours at a time. Regardless, the correct number of hours in any application is the one that keeps the bearings full of mostly-uncontaminated grease. Like I said, you'll probably get alot of good opinions.

Gonna pony up all those extra Benjamins for the 72"? Like some of us cautioned you, if your ground isn't real smooth you'll have some issues. Also, no factory bagger for the 72" (if that's a consideration).

You can be sure that I haven't disgarded any advice.

I just want to accumulate as much information and as many varied opinions as possible, concerning every conceivable approach to mowing 6-7 acres, given how many "Benjamins" we are talking about. ;-)

I certainly agree with your grease frequently approach.

The uneven ground concern will be an issue whether we opt for the 60" deck or the 72" deck. We'll definitely scalp for a number of cuts until there's a symbiotic existence between our deck and the property. Low spots already exist even with the 48" mowing deck. These are not concerning since they exist in the lawn and field that is further away from the house. The lawn closest to the house is fairly flat, and it will not be problematic. In fact, I will most likely cut the lawn closest to the house with the riding mower since I have to make several super laps around the entire woods line because of over hanging limbs that would prevent the B3030 [w/ a cab] from gaining access to 6 +/- feet of lawn.

In my thinking at this time, the additional 12" of deck width will shorten the cutting effort, and I am willing to accept its pitfalls for that measureable gain. I'm imagining 24" of additional width for every pass as compared to our present 48" riding mower, and that sounds wonderful.

I did explore the zero-turn mowers w/ enthusiasm, but they are not ideally suited for steeper slopes and uneven terrain. We have both of those obstacles. I definitely need 4WD. I never imagined enjoying A/C while cutting grass, but the B3030 has opened my eyes to this possibility: albeit an expensive one. Having riden a 48" riding mower for 15 years while slowly expanding the lawn by clearing more and more of our woods, I am accustom to a non A/C environment. But, to have it dangling out there is certainly intriguing.

I had put the FEL on to jack the tractor up in front

This has been mentioned by others. I liked this idea. I am glad to read that you have used it with success. It seems fairly easy, it's safe, and it would allow me to access the underneath side of the deck. That is all I want: access.

I am a practicing member of the scrape approach. I have been doing that since day one on our riding mowers. I use a four prong, metal rake with a 5 foot handle. These Kubota decks [which are far superior to our riding mower deck] are not going to rust out anytime soon from that type of scratching and scraping. Our riding mower decks have shown minimal wear underneath. I doubt there's any paint remaining. As long as the deck is stored in a dry environment, it'll last a long time.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and sharing your varied approaches.

Sincerely,
The Gardener

P.S.
If the Kubota F3680 had A/C in its cab [it's simply mind boggling that it is not an option], I would be purchasing that as our long term mower: decision made. It offers everything I want: a front deck for easy access, a 72" cut, a steering wheel, and superb reach underneath objects. But, without A/C, the F3680 cab would become an oven. It's too bad because owners whom I have conversed with claim that its cut is unmatched.

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #7  
For cleaning decks I really like an air compressor! You keep it dry and it doesn't compact the grass around the bearings and spindles leaving them wet till they can dry out stopping the rusting problem.

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #8  
art said:
For cleaning decks I really like an air compressor! You keep it dry and it doesn't compact the grass around the bearings and spindles leaving them wet till they can dry out stopping the rusting problem.
I never considered that, I'll have to give it a try next time she's up in the air. Are you able to actually get it clean or mostly just blow off the big chunks?

/ B3030 hp with A/C, HST, MMM #9  
The Gardener said:
I'm imagining 24" of additional width for every pass as compared to our present 48" riding mower, and that sounds wonderful.
Like you died and went to Heaven. Well sounds like you've given the 72" alot of thought and have it figured out, so more power to ya!

The Gardener said:
I did explore the zero-turn mowers w/ enthusiasm, but they are not ideally suited for steeper slopes and uneven terrain. We have both of those obstacles. I definitely need 4WD.
Consider this: It might not be as bad as you think. I heard/thought the same thing. I purposefully sought out the ZTRs with the lowest seat height/ctr of gravity and best stability, and the one we bought is actually one of the few commercial units w/out a ROPS (doesn't need it/didn't want it). Even so, I was pretty sure there were a couple of steep places on our property that we just wouldn't be taking it, but you know what? I (cautiously) gave it a try and to my surprise, my "pucker factor" was noticeably less than on the B3030 with 4WD! (and I'm no daredevil). True, mowing sideways on a steep slope with a ZTR might keep you busier than a one-armed paper hanger, but it isn't as dangerous as it would be either on your B3030 with its higher COG, and isn't recommended for either machine (go up & down instead). As far as the uneven terrain, not sure exactly what you're referring to, but ZTRs with their short wheelbase can follow ground contours just fine, and pretty much all of them have AS rollers out the wazoo to help w/scalping. If you meant about the ride, there's options for that also and ours rides much nicer than the B3030 (well, I'll let you know after I get the new & improved seat). Anyway, you might want to see if you can demo one on your property before you completely rule them out. They do make 72" ZTRs also :)

The Gardener said:
P.S. If the Kubota F3680 had A/C in its cab [it's simply mind boggling that it is not an option], I would be purchasing that as our long term mower: decision made. It offers everything I want: a front deck for easy access, a 72" cut, a steering wheel, and superb reach underneath objects. But, without A/C, the F3680 cab would become an oven. It's too bad because owners whom I have conversed with claim that its cut is unmatched.
Yep, all good points. And that's a helluva machine. I know it seems insane, but cabs w/AC on something other than heavy equipment are a relatively recent innovation/offering, you're lucky to get fans. Not sure why it's not offered on the F series by now, Green has 'em for some of their front mounts. My uneducated guess is Orange will ante up one of these days, maybe in time for you to benefit.

My uneducated guess is Orange will ante up one of these days, maybe in time for you to benefit.

I am praying that your crystal ball is on target. Of all the options I see available [ZTR, B3030, F3680], the F-series w/ a cab and A/C would be my choice.

I plan to look into the possibility of adding two small fans to the cab of an F-series mower. That may very well solve the heat issue. Placed high above the operator, it could be a terrific solution at an affordable cost.