B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #11  
ripplefct said:

The wastegate only kicks in at 14 PSI on this turbo. Im only making 10 PSI. A tractor is unlike a car where you are constantly in and out of the turbo. Tractor tend to be set at an RPM and left to work. So you want 100 percent boost all the time. The turbo spools pretty quick both up and down so very little chance of needing a BOV. It's a pretty simple system.
And Yes it does make more power... Like ALLOT!!!!!!. Im going to need to get bigger tires for it.

Rip

Diesel engines dont have a throttle plate so there is no need for a BOV at all. The purpose of a blow off valve is to relieve pressure build up and impeller strain when a throttle plate is closed quickly on a gasoline application.

As for the wastegate- Diesel engines rarely "need" wastegates. It really depends on the turbo/engine combo. If a turbo is sized to provide more CFM of air flow than the engine can consume, a wastegate is needed. If an engine can handle up to 1000cfm and the turbo is only capable of 900cfm...no wastegate is needed. It seems like is see alot more diesel turbos W/wastegates these days. I think its because they size the turbos to produce more air flow in the lower RPM range, but not overboost at WOT.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time.
Retlaw 66 said:
How do you add more fuel under boost?
Or are you just adding more air....and running too lean?
I'm familiar with gas turbos, but not diesel turbos...

The tractor govener takes care of the extra fuel. When you lug the motor the gov kick in to add fuel, which in turn makes more exhaust making the turbo make more air. It would be nice to bump the fuel up a little more though. I havn't figured that one out yet. I need some drawings on the injector pump.

Rip.

2Botas said:
Diesel engines dont have a throttle plate so there is no need for a BOV at all. The purpose of a blow off valve is to relieve pressure build up and impeller strain when a throttle plate is closed quickly on a gasoline application.

As for the wastegate- Diesel engines rarely "need" wastegates. It really depends on the turbo/engine combo. If a turbo is sized to provide more CFM of air flow than the engine can consume, a wastegate is needed. If an engine can handle up to 1000cfm and the turbo is only capable of 900cfm...no wastegate is needed. It seems like is see alot more diesel turbos W/wastegates these days. I think its because they size the turbos to produce more air flow in the lower RPM range, but not overboost at WOT.

You are correct.

Rip

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #14  
It would be interesting to see what your EGT's are running at different throttle/ boost settings.

B2400 said:
It would be interesting to see what your EGT's are running at different throttle/ boost settings.

Give me some time and I'll have em for you. I keep forgetting to bring my pyrometer from work. I'm going to have to pull a car up the street with it just to give the motor a little work. Then we will see what the pyrometer says.

Rip.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #16  
What a great find, I am building an articulated 4wd hydrostatic tractor using two F2000 tractors. I need more PTO power for blowing snow. I was interested in knowing a bit more about how you made the manifold, you mentioned water jetting. Also, do you see any problems with coking in the turbo (shutting down hot and the oil turns to rocks). How many hours running do you have at this point? My engine is a bit larger than yours at about 900cc I think but it sounds like the little PK31 is big enough to work.
Thanks

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #18  
ripplefct said:
The tractor govener takes care of the extra fuel. When you lug the motor the gov kick in to add fuel, which in turn makes more exhaust making the turbo make more air. It would be nice to bump the fuel up a little more though. I havn't figured that one out yet. I need some drawings on the injector pump.

Excellent install, RIP!

How are you determining if you are getting more power? You mentioned
towing a car or other measurements?

If the governor is providing more fuel under load, that is good, but
ideally you want to start adjusting for more fuel. I am looking forward to
seeing the results of those experiments. I am sure you are getting some
more power with no fuel mods as you have done.

The turbo project is going swimmingly. It takes a bit (8 min) or more of idle warm up time to get it to turn the turbo like it should. There's deffinetly more power. I can easly do work in 2nd or 3rd gear that I had to do in first gear. Ive mostly been pushing snow and the tractor will not lug down. It will spin out. I havn't spent any more time on the fuel issue. I would like to bump the fuel up but untill I can get some info on the injector pump, I'm kind of on hold.

Kabotaart: Yes this turbo will work for 900cc but you would have to leave the wastegate on it. (RHI makes a turbo thats just a hair bigger that would work better for your cc's.) Im sure you would build more than 14 psi with that larger engine. I havn't had any trouble with oil temps or burning. The turbo just dosent run that hot. And when I shut down I will idle the engine for about 3 or 4 min to make sure the turbo has wound down enough to shut down. I did have flanges cut out on a water jet table. Thats the only way to go. It's a little spendy but man the parts are nice. Im not sure what the port configuration is on a f2000 but I would think you could easly get away with the origanal manifold and just build off of that. Most of the bends I used are standard steel weld pipe that I got from McMaster Carr. You just need to make sure you keep the same diameter as the manifold exit port all the way to the turbo. Then oversize the pipes comeing out of the turbo. I still need to clean up all my welds and make it pretty. More pictures to come soon. Working on the backhoe portion of the project now.

Rip.

/ B5200 Project tractor contined. Turbo time. #20  
ripplefct said:
Ok I have finally gotten back to the project tractor. If you have read my previous posts (B5200 Project tractor), I have been promising a turbo addition. No I really didn't need the power. It has guts enough. But what's a guy to do with his spare time during the winter. So here's what we have. The turbo is the smallest turbo you can buy. I got mine off of ebay. It's a KKK kp31 off of a smart car (diesel). I had to machine the manifold assembly off the turbo because it comes as one piece. I then built the header off of the manifold to the turbo. I had some flanges water jetted to fit onto the factory manifold. That way I can take the turbo off easly if needs be. The turbo fits nicely under the hood and the tail pipe snakes its way out from under the hood just forward of were the factory muffler would have been. Minimal cutting. I plumbed in oil feed lines off the oil sensor port, and dumped the exit oil back into the valve cover. Take a look at the pics. There will be more to come as I try to make it look more professional. The tractor makes just under 10 psi of boost under load and 2500 RPM. I dont have my pyromoter so Im not sure how hot were running yet. No load boost is 7 to 8 psi. It's amazing how much air this little turbo will move. I am running a straight pipe right now. The tractor runs pretty quiet for not having a muffler. Probably as quiet as with the muffler on it. But now it has that way cool turbo whine. Tell me what you think of the project so far.

Rip.
Awesome! PLEASE post some video links so we can see/ hear it run, idling and under load. Great project!!!:cool: