B7100 - Wheel Weights

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights #1  

bpence

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100 HST - 1995
The idea of using barbell weights came from this forum as well as "Mike's Tractor Page". I made a different type of bracket to hold the weights as I'm not a welder. The backbone is a piece of 1/4" x 2" c-channel steel with a galvanized pipe floor plate bolted to the center. The c-channel is attached (bolted) to the wheel with 1/2" carriage bolts. I also installed 1/2" carriage bolts in the two unused holes in the wheels to act as backer-bolts for the weights. The weights slide on to a 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple and are simply held in place by an end cap or nut. The pipe nipple is inter-changeable so I can add/drop weights and not have a post sticking out past the weights. This photo shows 50 lbs (2 wts.) which is what I use for mowing in the summer. I'll add two more 25 pounders to each wheel, along with tire chains, for winter use.

Bob Pence

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights #2  
Truly slick set-up. Wondering if you might post a picture of the diassembled pieces--ideally exploded view. Have seem similar arrangements but nothing this clean.....would like to make one for my 2710. Thanks for sharing.

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights #3  
Great job. Excellent design. Especially with no welding involved. This should generate a lot of interest for sure. DFB

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights
It may take a few days, but I'll try and borrow a digital camera again and take a couple of photos of the brackets without the weights installed.

Bob Pence

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights
This is a photo of the bracket I made to hold the wheel weights. Not being a welder, it is bolted together and made from parts available at most local hardwares. The main cross piece is c-channel steel, the plate attached to that is a "floor plate" (usually found with the water pipe stuff), and the post is a 3/4" x 4" nipple. 1/2" carriage bolts hold the bracket on and the other stand alone carriage bolts act as "backers" to keep everything in position. Basic rules of construction apply when building something like this: measure twice; cut or drill once.

The post is easily changed to hold more weights, if desired. The weights I use are 25 lb. barbell weights and have had 100 lbs. per side with no problem. The brackets have been in use for a couple of months, so durability seems OK. I would have liked to use 50 lb. weights vs. the 25 lb., but the wheel size (diameter) on the B7100 limited me to the 25 lb.

Anyway, this was a quick and inexpensive solution to wheel weights. I think I invested less than $60 in the brackets (steel, plates, nipples, nuts & bolts) and the original 100 lbs in weights. With the additional 100 lbs. in weights, total investment is just over $100, versus the $275 or so wanted by a couple of local Kubota dealers. And, these weights are easy on/easy off. As I recall, it only took an hour or two to build the brackets and install them.

For other non-welders of the world, this might be a solution.

Bob Pence

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights #6  
Bob, very slick. After pricing Yellow weights (for Green tractor), and not owning a welder either, I may just follow your lead. Thanks for the photo.

Rob

/ B7100 - Wheel Weights #7  
Bob -

Nicely done! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Sadly, I'm still a non-welder, so I appreciate your approach to such things.

As an intermittent weekend warrior I'm faced with the choice of either using my tractor or tinkerin' with it during the precious little time we have together. "Using it" has been the winner for most of my trips. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Maybe once the rainy season ramps up I'll be able to catch up with you. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

XMasSig.gif