B7100 ??

/ B7100 ?? #1  

newrancher

Tractor
None yet
I'm a new home own, with just two acres. I'm looking for a small tractor, with a front loader, box scraper and a pto. I've found a B7100 Kubota. The gentleman purchased it used in 1982. He is not sure of its year, but it looks like it might be a mid to late 70s model. It has 800 + hours on it and needs all the hydraulic lines to be replaced. I believe I can purchase it for just under $1,000.00. Oh yeah, he says it runs but the battery was dead the day I looked at it. Is it worth my time, effort, and money to get it and get it running or should I look for a better tractor but more money (which I’m trying to avoid). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, thanks for the great imput. My neighbor said that I should be concerned with the direction the PTO spins and how fast? I've never had a tractor and am not really sure what he is talking about. I assume that all tractor PTOs spin in the same direction. Also I am interested in finding out if "they" make a rototiller for it. I gues that's where the question of the direction of the PTO comes into play. Again Thank You all for the great input.

/ B7100 ?? #2  
It would nice if the gentleman could get it running so you could hear it,also take for a spin plus check for other leaks etc..

Thats not a bad price.

/ B7100 ?? #3  
I have a late '70s B6100 with FEL, box scraper and tiller. It's a gear (not hydrostat) and 4wd and it is perfect for my 3.5 acres. A B7100 is going to be a couple more horsepower than mine.

If you can get the guy to get it running for you it would certainly be worth taking a look. I think at $1,000 to buy, you could still put that much more into it if you had to and still come away with a good value on the tractor.

/ B7100 ?? #4  
Like Bill said, it's a good price, even if you had to put in as much again for repairs. If it wasn't so far away, I think I'd pick it up for myself. Be a good compliment for my B6100Dt.

/ B7100 ?? #5  
That's cheap.

Give it a boost with your truck after checking the fluids and see how she runs.

/ B7100 ?? #6  
I had a b7100 for about 5 years. I bought it used and worked the heck out of it. Never had any problems. I ran a 4ft rotary cutter with it and mowed about 4 acres. It was 2WD, with FEL, and Hydrostatic. Last year I put a 4sale sign on it at the end of my driveway and it sold the same day for $3500. The price you are quoting seems very good even if it needs some work !!! The only negative I ever had with it was that the diameter of the front tires was too small.

/ B7100 ?? #7  
newrancher,

(1) The B7100 was probably the longest production tractor that Kubota made (mid-1970s-1998?).
(2) The earlier gear drive B7100s were produced in 4wd (B7100D) and 2wd (B7100E) models; the later ones were 4wd only (I don't know where the dividing line was). You will want 4wd for maximum effectiveness of the front end loader (FEL).
(3) The FEL is most likely worth $1000 if it's in good shape.
(4) <font color=blue>needs all the hydraulic lines to be replaced</font color=blue>...Not necessarily, unless they are leaking hydraulic fluid. I've been told to not worry about the outer black covering falling off.
(5) The PTO spins clockwise (as you look at it) just like it is supposed to (the Kubota B6000 spins in the wrong direction). The B7100 has the standard 540 rpm rear PTO speed; additionally, the older B7100 gear drive models had two additional speeds while the newest B7100s hydrostat models had one additional speed.
(6) <font color=blue>Also I am interested in finding out if "they" make a rototiller for it</font color=blue>...My B7100 manual recommends a rototiller with 42" maximum width and 400lbs maximum weight. There should be several models available from different manufacturers.
(7) I have found parts to still be available; sometimes I have had to wait a week or so for delivery.
(8) If it is in good shape and 4wd, I would say it would be worth between $3500 and $5000, so it sounds like you have room for error.
(9) Make sure that it is not a B7001, which is a "grey" market Kubota tractor. That is another story. The B7100 serial number will probably start with "B7001", however.

Good luck,
Kelvin