B7500 Alternator

/ B7500 Alternator #1  

wvpolekat

Platinum Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N and 2003 Kubota B7500
   / B7500 Alternator
Well, i guess based on the squealing belt and the fact that it still smells like hot rubber, I am going to assume that it locked up and order one.

I would pull it off of there and check it out, but I can't have it down too long in the winter.

/ B7500 Alternator #3  
Is the front of the pulley supposed to turn or is it deeper in the groove?

The entire outer shell on the front side is one piece with the pulley, so it all rotates. Still don't see how they arrive at the asking price for those...a conventional alternator can be had for the same $$. All those dynamos are, is a pulley housing, bearing, and magnets. As it rotates, it produces AC voltage which then needs to be regulated and rectified by electronics mounted elsewhere. If the machinery that uses these dynamos had a conventional internally-regulated alternator, the underhood wiring could be simplified, the overall cost would be lower, and there would be one charging system component to test/replace. Also, reliability would likely be improved, as the charging system was centralized instead of having one component *here*, the other component *over there*, and those components being tied together with a wiring harness and more connections.

You hardly ever see one lock up like yours did. They're pretty lightly-stressed..

/ B7500 Alternator #5  
Do what you want, but, if it were me and considering the price Kubota gets for their parts, I'd convert over to a GM Delco 10si wrecking yard alternator. It was the best thing I did on both my tractors. bjr

/ B7500 Alternator
I am certain that nobody around here would have a bearing. After I get a replacement, I will repair this one as a spare. If I can get one for ~$100 off ebay, that's the way I will go. I can't risk being without the tractor to hunt a bearing. If we get snow and it's not running, I can't leave the house.

I really don't have any interest in converting it to another alternator. It's just not worth it to save $20. I doubt the side cover would go back on with a 10si on it, it's twice the size of this one. Yes, they have more output. But, this one does what I need it to. Charge the battery and run 2 lights.

As for why it failed, the belt is not overly tight. Machine has about 580 hours on it. Guess it was just it's time.

/ B7500 Alternator #7  
If the belt's not overly tight is it tight enough? Maybe it's slipping. Loosen the belt, see if the pulley will spin and if the bearings feel smooth.

/ B7500 Alternator
If the belt's not overly tight is it tight enough? Maybe it's slipping. Loosen the belt, see if the pulley will spin and if the bearings feel smooth.

I honestly did not even think of that. Thanks!

/ B7500 Alternator
Ok, with the belt off, it's locked up tight. Was worth a try. Ordered another. $118 shipped. Should be here first of the week.

/ B7500 Alternator
Got the alternator yesterday, put it on this morning and all is well.