b7500 running hot?

/ b7500 running hot? #1  

fafurd

Tractor
Kubota B7500
I was brush mowing and noticed that the temp guage was about 1/2 way after about 1 hour in 90F degree. Is this normal?

When I bought it last year, I had accidently overheated, being new and not paying attention I immediately shut it off as soon as I noticed. This was about 8 months ago. I noticed it today running half way and topped out the radiator. I had to add about 2 pints of 70/30 (radiator fluid to water) and then filled to resivoir to the appropriate level. The radiator fluid in there was probably 50/50 from when I bought it. I let it cool down and ran it again. It pretty much stayed 1/2 when the sun was shining (90F degrees) and dropped a little when the clouds rolled in.

Should I worry about it?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I love my b7500. My next thing I'm thinking of doing is installing a top-and-tilt...some day. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ b7500 running hot? #2  
Did you clean your radiator screen and grills? I sure wouldn't worry about running ½ up scale. But I would check the screen and grill (might as well look at the radiator fins too, whilst you're at it) as soon as I saw the temp gage moving up. These machines don't move fast enough to get any airflow (as your car or truck does), so keeping the radiator, screens and grills clean are much more important.

/ b7500 running hot? #3  
my temp gauge(b2400) hardly ever goes above the c mark. what did your gauge read when it was new and u were working it hard? as long as your screens and radiator fins are clean i would not worry about it. u say u overheated it when it was new ? how hot did it get, may have damaged the sensor. if in doubt HAVE IT CHECKED

/ b7500 running hot?
Earlier today (before I posted) I noticed it moving to the 2/3 mark and throughly cleaned the front grill, screen and used an air compressor carefully on the fins. The bottom 1/3 of the fins were completely covered. My original post was after I clean the fins, in that it didn't seem to go above the 1/2. Well I just finished doing some some light work today (but tractor was on the whole time) --picking up horse droppings -- and it never went obove the 'C'.

>>what did your gauge read when it was new and u were working it hard?

you know, I cannot remember. I only brush mow twice a year and this was my first. I'm going to just have to watch it.

>>how hot did it get...
I'm not sure (as it was last year), but I do remember that the radiator fluid started spilling out onto the ground. I didn't worry about if afterwards becuase everything, at the time, seemed okay.

/ b7500 running hot?
Well, I found others that have posted the same thing -- I guess I should have looked harder -- so I've decided that I will call the dealer and have them check it out. It's still under warranty and shouldn't cost me anything...or at least very little. I get the impression it should not have even overheated last year. I get the impression that maybe something was wrong from the start, especially when everyone is saying that it generally should not get above 1/4 even in 90F degree weather. I'll update after the checkout.

/ b7500 running hot? #6  
I think that's normal. Last summer when it was 90+ degrees I was "brush hogging" my back field with my MMM in a raised position. Grass was probably 3'. I could only run it about 15 to 20 minutes at a time before it would start to overheat. Would stop it, raise the hood, reduce the throttle, then clean off all of the screens (outside black screen and inside radiator screen).

Will also tend to get hotter than normal when I run the tiller (high rpm's and moving at a crawl); just have to stop for a minute and let it cool down.

Bottom line is that you probably don't have anything wrong with it.

/ b7500 running hot?
Well, I called the tech at the dealer and they said considering what I was doing and moving through 3" thick grass, that it was normal. He said that he would be more concerned if it was creaping up to the 3/4 mark.

Also suggested that before I brush mow (or maybe working it hard, in general) that I spray the front grill area down really well, start the tractor, let it idle until it drys off and then go for it. He was stating that it would be a way to, at least, wash down the large particles as well as the fine dust and dirt that may be surrounding the whole area.

/ b7500 running hot? #8  
<font color="blue"> spray the front grill area down really well, start the tractor, let it idle until it drys off and then go for it </font>

If I mow my whole pasture it takes a full day. Every so often I pull it over and clean the grills, then run water over the radiator (being careful not to hit the block - that can crack it). That cools it right down.

As mentioned, the airflow in these guys is less than spectacular and requires frequent cleaning of the grills to maximize what you have.