Backhoe B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #1  

yatesfire

I am a proud new owner (or it will be mine after all the payments are made) of a B7800 with a backhoe. So far I like it a lot. The only drawback I have seen with this machine is the light weight loader bucket construction. I am going to beef it up soon, and add a chain hook to pull tee posts out of the ground.

My last tractor was a small Iseki that was was a real work horse for me. I really abused that machine, and it just kept on going. But with the new huge investment, I need to have this one last the rest of my life

My question is, what is the optimum RPM to run while using the backhoe. My biggest concern is the life expectancy of the tractor. I don't really need to speed through my work. Is it better to run at pto speed (2600 rpm) or is lower RMP better. I have been letting the wife use it, and when she is on it I usually have it a idle speed.

Any feed back from you smart guys is appreciated

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #2  
Use whatever rpm you like. If it's digging at a speed you're happy with, you don't need any more rpm. It will let you know when it wants more pressure.

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #3  
Yeah, I second that response. If the hydraulic movement is too slow, speed it up. If you find that the movement is to unpredictable, ie jerky, and or violent, slow it down. It's all personal preference really. I would pick the lowest RPM that you can get away with where you're happy with the performance. That way you'll get optimum performance with less wear, and less fuel consumption.

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #4  
I got the 7800 with a 46 series BH. I was running the BH at about 1500-1800 RPM during the break in phase and found that would do most jobs I wanted, but now that I've did the first oil change and got 50 hours on it, I ran it at full PTO speed and boy did it make a difference. Way easier to control the speed (easy to feather and much more smooth response) and WAY more power. Stumps that I had to dig around quite a bit now just pop right out.

After the break in you can run it at full throttle. You are not going to hurt these engines by running them that way, WOP is only about 2600 RPM anyways and that speed will not damage anything, just keep the maintenance up! :D

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #5  
yatesfire said:
My question is, what is the optimum RPM to run while using the backhoe.

No such thing. I run mine a little under PTO speed, like ~2000-2200 or so, only because the motor sounds like it's going to explode when running at full PTO speed, and the speed of the 'hoe is acceptable to me there. I will crank it to full blast if I need some extra power though. It's all a function of 'hoe speed - if you don't have much experience running the 'hoe, I'd say set the RPM at ~1800 so you have more time to make mistakes. As you train yourself and get better at running the backhoe, you will want to crank up the engine speed to get things swinging faster.

JayC

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Does the rpm matter to the hydraulic pump?

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #7  
yatesfire said:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Does the rpm matter to the hydraulic pump?

The pump is constant displacement. That means that it basically moves a set amount of fluid with each revolution. More revolutions equal more flow.

Is that what you ment by "matter" ?

or did you mean reliability?

If reliability, don't worry about rpms. Just change filters and fluids according to the hour meter. It will speed up or slow down to account for the engine speed. The worst thing you can do is ignore the filters/fluids.

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie
Thanks, John, I did mean reliability. I think I heard somewhere that running hydrauluc pumps/systems at lower rpm was not good, but I am not sure where I got that idea.

/ B7800- backhoe rpm, newbie #9  
Taiser said:
I got the 7800 with a 46 series BH. :D

Sounds like you mixed some green with that sandwich :) I forget if you have the Kubota BH75 or the woods x-70 or 80 ? but I know you dont have the 46BH :)