Snow b7800 - FEL worth it for snow?

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #1  

twodogs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Hey Folks-

I have a deposit on a 7800 with a 60"MMM & FEL. I plan to maintain fields, cut my yard, & landscape & use the FEL for snow removal. I have a driveway that is about 250', plus the parking area. Is the FEL suitable for this? I had one dealer tell me that it would work well to plow the snow, and another tell me to buy a rear blade instead. I thought I would turn to a place where I wasn't being sold something...

I have been working hard to convince my wife that this is worth the expense, please confirm that it is, and give me a few other uses for this toy, I mean tool.

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #2  
Well.... you can do it with a FEL ,but it will be alot easier with a rear blade if the snow does not get to deep, before you can plow it to the side of the drive . And the blade will help to maintain your drive in the summer if your driveway is gravel .
allen

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #3  
Both the FEL and rear blade work well in combination for snow. They compliment each other quite well.

They also work well together for moving dirt or maintaining driveway.

If only one is possible get the FEL as it has many more uses than a backblade does.

Egon

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #4  
Eventually, I suspect you'll end up with a snow blower if you get a lot of snow there.

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #5  
A FEL will work for snow. Not the best tool. But it will work. Since you mention only 2 attachments for the B7800. I would recommend you get some type of counterweight for the 3PH to use with the FEL. A rear blade would work but cost more than a weight box filled with cement. Talk to your dealer about counterweight when using a FEL.
Here is a link for what I use to plow snow. Click Here

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #6  
I agree. I use my FEL for about 5 years and it is not the fastest but I can play longer in the snow!!!!:)

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #7  
Snow? What's that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #8  
That's the white stuff in link I provided. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Usually does not appear in temperatures above 32 degrees Fahrenheit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #9  
My B1700 is ,I think, about the same size as your 7800, and I use both the FEL and back blade. The blade does 90 % of the work, but the FEL is needed to move the banks of snow to the side after they build up and the driveway gets too narrow. My tractor will NOT move a heavy and iced over bank of snow with the back blade alone, as it is too light, so when I plow the new snow just gets deposited next to the established old bank, so the driveway gets more narrow with each new snowfall. We get 120 inches in a typical year, with no warm days in between to melt what is already on the ground, maybe you won't have this trouble if you get snow, then a defrost, then more new snow.
PaulB

/ b7800 - FEL worth it for snow? #10  
My pine lined driveway getting narrower is exactly why I got a blower. I did one year with the back blade and FEL and the next year switched to a blower. I use the FEL about once every 3 years when we get a really wet spring storm that plugs the blower.