Mowing B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #11  
Keep the 7800, buy the GL. Go to tractor house and check prices on both tractors then you well see why.

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP
Yeah looks like my B7800 is not worth that much. Just bought a new loader for it a few years ago. Might get $10k for the tractor, finish mower, and the loader. Got close to $20k in it with 300 hrs and garage kept.

Perry

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #13  
Yeah looks like my B7800 is not worth that much. Just bought a new loader for it a few years ago. Might get $10k for the tractor, finish mower, and the loader. Got close to $20k in it with 300 hrs and garage kept.

Perry

$10K is a bargain if the L3430 is in decent shape. I got $12K for my L3430 HST on a trade last year. I agree with AStanton. If you can swing it, keep the B and buy the L. It will save a lot of effort swapping implements over time.

I used a 6' brush hog on my L3430 HST for many years on my hilly acreage. Had to use low gear on some of the steep spots but otherwise, no problem. HST's have a bit less PTO HP than gear tractors so based on my experience, you shouldn't have any trouble.

The L3430 is a GST and the B7800 is the HST. GST is a Hybrid that I believe it is much like the auto transmission in a car. It just lets you pick when to shift. It probably takes a little more HP than a manual but not as much as an HST.

Perry

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #15  

Do not weep.

While you may be underwhelmed by market price "comps" for your B7800 and implements, consider this depreciation offset by the below market price for which you can acquire the much more capable L3430 with capable farm implements.

You will spend a lot more time on your tractor once moved on to your forty-four acre property. I hope that is what you want, deep within, because forty-four acres will require a lot of work.

If you can operate a car/truck with clutch/gear transmission competently, you will transition to shuttle shift in one day. Often more complicated to learn for those without car/truck clutch/gear competence. There are so many levers, knobs, etc. on a tractor, which are distracting, plus the high seat and FEL out in front.....rough ground and those BIG rear wheels next to you.

Last edited:
   / B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #16  
The L3430 is a GST and the B7800 is the HST. GST is a Hybrid that I believe it is much like the auto transmission in a car. It just lets you pick when to shift. It probably takes a little more HP than a manual but not as much as an HST.

Perry

GST is a fully synchronized 12 speed gear transmission that has hydraulic shifted forks with hydraulic forward and reverse shuttle clutches. Move the shift lever and the transmission clutches, shifts and feathers the hydraulic clutch back in. There are no planetary gear sets or bands, just gears.

All the horsepower goes to the gear drive, no loses like a Hydro.

Have the L3130 with a 5ft brush hog and do fine, the extra horsepower should be ok but you will need to watch speed in thick brush.

David

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #17  
GST is a fully synchronized 12 speed gear transmission that has hydraulic shifted forks with hydraulic forward and reverse shuttle clutches. Move the shift lever and the transmission clutches, shifts and feathers the hydraulic clutch back in. There are no planetary gear sets or bands, just gears.

All the horsepower goes to the gear drive, no loses like a Hydro.

Have the L3130 with a 5ft brush hog and do fine, the extra horsepower should be ok but you will need to watch speed in thick brush.

David
It takes a hydraulic pump to run a GST, which takes some HP. But ya, generally not significant amounts. The generally accepted number for a HST is 15% less efficient than a gear tranny. I'd guess a GST is reasonably well under 1% less efficient.

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #18  
It takes a hydraulic pump to run a GST, which takes some HP. But ya, generally not significant amounts. The generally accepted number for a HST is 15% less efficient than a gear tranny. I'd guess a GST is reasonably well under 1% less efficient.

Well the GST regulator is off the power steering section of the pump so it is not pulling anything off the main hydraulic circuit, but once pistons on the shifting forks are done shifting the amount of fluid being used by the forward reverse clutch packs is not very much and probably about the same as what the PTO clutch pack is using.

The drive train still is 100% solid shaft and gears connection with no pump and motor in between.

David

David

Well I talked to the guy again and asked him about maintenance. It sounds like he has not changed the transmission fluid since he has had the tractor. He did loose a lot of it when he torn the rear seal on the PTO shaft. He said he had a Kubota mechanic fix that. I think he has changed the oil in it on a regular basis but I don't think he has done much else. Is it still worth $10k with the implements and loader. Should I be worried or is the price low enough to not be concerned?

Perry

/ B7800 vs L3430 both about 35HP #20  
You are there.

We are ~~~~~ wherever.

$10,000 for a Grand L with implements is cheap.

Grand L engines go 12,000 hours with proper maintenance.