baby put outside

/ baby put outside #11  
I agree... My tractors have never spent the night outside. But I'm fortunate in that the house I bought had a huge barn with lots of doors. :D

I like the "tarped enclosure" setup. You can place it wherever you like, never need a permit, and you can use it for a myriad other things once your tractor finds a better home.

For mice, get a barn cat.

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone w/ TractorByNet for Android

/ baby put outside #12  
I built a leanto on the back of my barn for mine. Then I needed storage for my trailer and attachments. So, I bought one of those steel carports with closed sides. These are pretty nice, and about as low-cost as you can get short of building your own using recycled lumber. My carport is 20 x 27 with upgraded to 9' high sidewalls, heavier gauge metal frame, closed overhangs, mobile home anchors. Less than $2500 installed.

Attachments

• Leanto movin2.jpg
    Leanto movin2.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 222
  • leanto movein1.jpg
    leanto movein1.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 254
  • _2012-04-20_09-38-24_483.jpg
    _2012-04-20_09-38-24_483.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 188
   / baby put outside #13  
Oh yeah. And you can get these carports complete closed in with garage and man door for about $4K installed.

/ baby put outside #15  
Well,
call me crazy but in our family, tractors go in at night no matter what! My vehicles will set outside. My uncle had a truck in his garage on the lift for several weeks and his tractor came to my barn to live till it could get back home. This happens all the time in the summer. Just have to remember where we leave um!, just a thought . . .John

That's pretty funny and I'm with you. My cars all sit outside and the tractor stays in the shop. Man I even waxed my tractor day one. lol

/ baby put outside
I built a leanto on the back of my barn for mine. Then I needed storage for my trailer and attachments. So, I bought one of those steel carports with closed sides. These are pretty nice, and about as low-cost as you can get short of building your own using recycled lumber. My carport is 20 x 27 with upgraded to 9' high sidewalls, heavier gauge metal frame, closed overhangs, mobile home anchors. Less than $2500 installed.

THis I an interesting option. Thank you for the picture, especially as I have been looking at pallet racks for vertical storage. I am very concerned about high winds in my area and this thing flying away. Have seen some Midwest guys on this site showing their carports blowing away. Any input? I know I could put a slab down then have his installed and attach it to the slab via anchors, or with various other methods.

I have been running around getting prices on pole buildings and garages, everything has to be 10' so I can get a bigger door on the garage. Do not want to remove the sun shade and lower the roll bar anymore.

/ baby put outside
Thanks to all that provided input.

To those who are suggesting that the car go outside, that is not going to happen. First, it is a convertible, second, it hasn't seen snow and its not going to, and third, the tires on it are kinda pricey and I won't leave it outside for some drunken hillbilly to oogle and possibly damage/steal. I have a few non friends in the area due to my job. The less I put my stuff out in the public view, the better off I am.

/ baby put outside #18  
Hayseed, I was a bit concerned about wind too and snow load. After watching them put in the mobile home anchors (~5" augers, 30" long, screwed in with a big slow powerful drill like contraption), I think it would take a direct hit from a tornado to lift it out of the ground. For the snow, that is why I went with the heavier gauge frame. I feel pretty secure here in northern Maryland, but if I were in Buffalo, ny I would probably make other alterations to it. Great little shelter so far.

/ baby put outside #19  
Thanks to all that provided input.

To those who are suggesting that the car go outside, that is not going to happen. First, it is a convertible, second, it hasn't seen snow and its not going to, and third, the tires on it are kinda pricey and I won't leave it outside for some drunken hillbilly to oogle and possibly damage/steal. I have a few non friends in the area due to my job. The less I put my stuff out in the public view, the better off I am.

Hayseed if I am reading you right I think I have the same job, I can appreciate your reasoning. I don't know what your carpentry skills are but there are several pole barn designs online. Some can be made quite inexpensively.

/ baby put outside
Hayseed if I am reading you right I think I have the same job, I can appreciate your reasoning. I don't know what your carpentry skills are but there are several pole barn designs online. Some can be made quite inexpensively.

I thought of that, but after remodeling my house and doing some other big projects, I am not inclined to ask for my friends help anymore. I want to keep my small group of friends for awhile longer. If I would ask them, they would come, but a man has to know his limitations. (Cynical statement on) With the millions of dollars I make a year working for the government, I should easily be able to pay someone to put it up for me. (Cynical statement off). I have been talking to contractors about what I want them to do vs. what I want to finish or start myself. Most guys give me the sourpuss as soon as they realize I am not talking about a gravy job for them. IMHO a pole building is a gravy job, not easy, but in about 2-3 days it can be done and move onto the next job. Doing the whole building myself would be next to impossible to have done in a reasonable timeframe, given that I work and have a family. I do have some basic carpentry skills, as I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes :dance1: