Back again...couple of years later...same question :)

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #1  

TMR

Gold Member
Good Morning...well my 10 year old 25hp Sears 42" w/wheel weights and chains is very close to its' last days...so to speak. The little machine has been a real workhorse and essentially served as a field (once a year...LONG grass and tall weeds) and trail mower. Trails were very rough in first few years and I think I have likely replaced 10 deck spindles and many mower belts and a few VERY bent heavy blades.

The mower had worked well but is getting harder to tolerate as I aged with it...now 66 YO. Last year I pulled the trigger on a DR Brush mower 18HP to use keeping edges of field back and building new trails in mostly brush and sapling woods. It works VERY well but it truly is a work out...may need to delegate some of that to my 40 YO son and late teen grandsons. Also bought the 42" deck but that set up is just too hard to maneuver and too far to walk to mow the field.

My research as already concluded that a new lawn tractor would need to be upgraded for comfort as well as convenience and pride :) Sooo...as I creep up in price past the Husqvarna fabricated deck version for about $3,500...to the JD X500 for about $5,000+...to the Kubota GR 2120 w/diesel for around $9,000 - soon I am back looking at sub-compacts and compacts with loader/3 point capabilities. Last session of research a few years back I decided that to handle my "potential" work in my 40 acre plot by our cabin and my 80 acres of pure woods by my house I would probably "need" closer to 40HP...closer to $20-$25K.

During the intervening years my tractor work has pretty much been the same VERY heavy mowing of fields/trails and a fairly large lawn at the cabin. In all cases the "quality" of the cut is not a critical as the ability of the mower deck to process and blow out very long and heavy grass/weeds. In the annual field mow I kind of mow maybe 1/3-1/2 width to keep the mower functioning...and then often will do a faster pass after the grass/hay/weeds have dried in the sun...in order to blast it around a bit. Net result is a very sore back from lots of mowing but the field looks like an newly mowed estate lawn.

The other factor is the width...at this stage I have a tendency to blast through treed areas of cabin property including up and down a moderate hill. The little Craftsman keeps working and I absorb a fair amount of branch abuse :) I do think I could/would change that work back to a 21" hand mower...not too much land and would actually mow better with hand mower...and do less damage to me. I say this now because I don't think I want to upgrade to any mower/tractor over say $3K and now get at least a 48" deck...which, along with the increasing frame and tire size would make the tree running not practical at all...and did I say I am getting older :)

Some "conclusions" my less than experienced study has started to reach as "requirements":

Sub-Compact

o I am doubting if a sub-compact would serve my mowing needs as well as say a Deere X500...which many user reviews speak of very well when using in rough, heavy field type mowing. I read that, say the BX Kubota series, would probably do a pretty good job mowing...but would be less maneuverable, heavier and bigger to trailer and much more expensive than say the $5K JD 500X...really would like a diesel but way too $$$$.

o I also do not believe that a BX series with a loader and say a 48 in box blade would be up to the "potential" uses I would make of it if I had loader and 3 pt hitch. Example is my driveways and trails...could use a lot of box blade work to smooth out bumps and level out. Mind you that both the trails and driveway are very hard packed from years of use and you would have a hard time driving a pick axe into them. Not sure that the light BX with light attachments would be of much use...and I very possibly might do damage trying. I think the primary use would be a motorized wheel barrow...and even that would not do much with big log piles and rocks. Long story short...am I correct in assuming that my potential "needs/uses" of loader/3 pt reflect projects and environment beyond sub-compact BXtype tractor??

Compact

o Anytime I am standing in the dealer's lot looking at the BX series my eye keeps moving to the B series. While the HP is not too much stronger...the frame and lift capacities seem much stronger. Also, I seem to hear that many use a B series or similar JD for mowing with a belly mower. I do not want to mow my needs with a 3 pt finish mower...(I do too much maneuvering to be happy with that.) I sense that the mowing characteristics with the B series are not as good overall as the BX series...which is not a good overall as a premium riding mower?

o The B series would likely be a better match for my demolition/earth moving and road maintenance than the BX...but I do not think I would have a very viable "combo" mowing and working tractor??

Garden Tractor

o I think that would be what a JD X500, a Husqvarna fabricated deck, 24 HP "premium" GT for about $3,500, etc. would be called? If I lose common sense I might move higher to the 4 wd/diesel Kubota GR 2120. In any case I would have a great mower for my mowing tasks...(much better and more comfortable than my Sears). Not as good a deal on the pricey GTs and only the expensive GT has interest free financing which I love.

Summary

Please challenge my narrative above...I would love to buy a "combo" machine that could mow and serve other probably needs/uses. Currently I just put up with the bumps on our trails and do little trail maintenance other than mow quite wide. My current conclusion is that beyond what I am currently doing...which a premium GT should do a beer and more enjoyable job on...I would be fooling myself to pay up to a BX series with loader/belly mower and probably box blade and eventually a brush hog (only 48"). A B series would be a bit better for the heavier work...but would not be a very good/handy mower and would still leave me wanting for power/weight/and attachment width as I learn to use in my woods/trails for needed projects.

My current "wisdom" is to finish research and buy a premium GT, such as a JD X500...or similar. Then, perhaps not this year...take a big gulp and look to a 30-40HP Compact with loader and 60" box blade and maybe brush hog...and my real wish would be a strong grapple for moving brush and dead falls :)

I really wish I could conclude that I would love a BX for the extra money...but I am afraid I would damage it (reflect on my use of that poor Sears for 10 years)...and that I would miss the maneuverability of the GT vs the sub-compact...and also that a B series would not solve my heavy project potential and would be even less satisfactory for my mowing needs/wants??

Well, I guess that MORE than states my question...I would appreciate any comments on those who have been thought this for years...I am STILL just a wannabe...and as my son says...you are not getting any younger! Thanks...Tom R

Last edited:
   / Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #2  
DSCF0555.JPG090812 007.jpgDSCF0548.JPG

Go talk to Cherokee140 or 4Shorts or Dragoneggs and ask them about the BX and what it can do. The first two even have a grapple on their BX25D's. Me, I am a 35 horse large frame heavy weight kind of guy. Grapples are a very joyous thing to own. So are Pallet forks:D

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :)
View attachment 380286View attachment 380287View attachment 380288

Go talk to Cherokee140 or 4Shorts or Dragoneggs and ask them about the BX and what it can do. The first two even have a grapple on their BX25D's. Me, I am a 35 horse large frame heavy weight kind of guy. Grapples are a very joyous thing to own. So are Pallet forks:D

Thanks k0ua...I think that beyond the mowing I would like "heavy", more power than I need and a bit wider attachments...say 60". Also, my 20 years plus of 2 42", 24HP Sears with wheel weights and chains as developed habits to move quickly with great maneuverability and relative strength...often to the detriment of the mower deck or front linkage...but it was not too hard to keep repaired and by keeping full of oil and charged battery it still starts and runs quite well...even the tranny has put up with my "abuse" without stopping. It does seem to complain a bit now and then :) My concern is that the BX will not be as effective mower and that it will be too light, under powered and generally vulnerable to damage in my woods?

In my previous life on this site...the statement often made was..."buy a separate lawn tractor to mow the yard". While I don't have the issue of mowing with heavier tractor I do seem to like the ability to maneuver while mowing.

Will appreciate comments from BX owner as the other choice would be buy the BX...mow with it...and learn about front end loader and box blade application, etc. IF I use the tractor functions a lot and decide I "need" more power and weight...maybe trade of sell and upgrade? I think the BX does have good resale. Or maybe try that with the B series and get a bit more "tractor" capabilities? Thanks...Tom R

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #4  
TMR, it is a hard choice to lay down big money and not be sure the machine will do what you want. But most of the BX owners are rather pleased with what they can do with them. Perhaps some of them will chime in here and express their opinions. Mowing is not one of my priorities as I am more interested in land clearing and loader work. I need a tractor with larger lift capabilities and push and grunt abilities. :) I have a JD lawn mower for the mowing. I do some brush hogging with the larger tractor. I also like hydrostatic transmissions even on my larger tractor because I can move fast and more precisely with it. If you have woods and rough areas to move around in a tractor with higher ground clearance will be helpful. But keep in mind everything is a compromise, no one tractor does everything perfectly. But except for the lawn mowing, a Kioti DK35se come pretty darn close.:D

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #5  
Well, TMR, while your Sears GT has gone for ten years and is getting near the end of its life - good service, actually - the BX2230 I bought nine years ago runs and looks virtually like new after 1,000 hours of extensive mowing, loader and box blade dirt work, road maintenance, and other chores too various to mention. If it wasn't cheap to buy, I still figure it has more than paid for itself by saving my old bones and muscles over the time I've owned it.

Scanning the posts you made previously, it seems you had looked at the B series, the L and Grand L models, as well as comparable models of other makes, so you seemed to have decided larger equipment was more suitable for your needs. Indeed there are some activities where more power and weight make all the difference and with many other tasks, the larger you go, the more productive you can be. But don't kid yourself that these small machines can't do serious work... they are a big step up from what you have been doing until now. For instance, I regularly box blade a 100 year old hard pan gravel road with the BX that does the job just as well as the much larger Grand L with its box blade.

I won't tell you what to buy because I don't know you or your place, but you owe it to yourself to at least check out the BX and other competing subcompacts before writing them off. There are so many owners of these little machines who work them hard and get a lot done.

Hi Grandad4...Thanks for the great input. I do think you are correct in your assessment. IF I were an experienced tractor owner and knew I would make the effort and time commitment to some major land work projects I am pretty sure a 30-40HP, heavier tractor with 60" attachments would make good sense.

However, ALL I have done on the property for the last 4-5 years has been the rural, rough mowing with the Sears mower...I agree it has earned its' keep! $1,500 for 10 tuff years...particularly early on when the mower was used to "scalp down" parts of the trails as well a small brush. No wonder I learned how to change blade spindles!

Sounds like the BX would certainly be a BIG step up in mowing and comfort...with some loss of 42", small lawn tractor maneuverability...which I will experience with any "step up"/larger machine.

The B series is a nice step up in weight/loader capacity, etc...but you likely do not have nearly as good a "mower"? I have read that the BX is close to a garden tractor in mowing but the B series is a notch poorer....maybe less convenient?

Since to this point my uses have been mowing related that is my current "main use" that will be continued. I really do not know what I will use with the "tractor" attributes since I have never had one available.

Perhaps in the best world I would enjoy the BX for all my mowing while learning what I like about loader, box blade and any other attachments I may purchase over time. IF I love it and often find limitations due to weight and power...I could sell or trade. Seems like the BX series has great resale?

Also, chance are the BX will trailer on my single axle 6' wide 10' long trailer...work well with my Polaris Ranger. Even the BX will be an issue with any back attachment on it...w/o back attachment I could probably rest the loader over the front. B series might well put me into another trailer...which I will do eventually anyway.

Any comments about ease of mowing and the ability of a 60" mower on a BX to cut, and more importantly blow out tall grass and weeds...maybe with 50% overlap? Sears did a great job with just two blades spinning and about 1/3 cut at a time on deepest/heaviest weeds and grass/hay.

Maybe with a nice new BX I might mow more than once a year! I usually wait until the grass/weeds have dried toward labor day so the grass/hay is quite a bit lighter than when green.

Thanks Grandad4

Well, TMR, while your Sears GT has gone for ten years and is getting near the end of its life - good service, actually - the BX2230 I bought nine years ago runs and looks virtually like new after 1,000 hours of extensive mowing, loader and box blade dirt work, road maintenance, and other chores too various to mention. If it wasn't cheap to buy, I still figure it has more than paid for itself by saving my old bones and muscles over the time I've owned it.

Scanning the posts you made previously, it seems you had looked at the B series, the L and Grand L models, as well as comparable models of other makes, so you seemed to have decided larger equipment was more suitable for your needs. Indeed there are some activities where more power and weight make all the difference and with many other tasks, the larger you go, the more productive you can be. But don't kid yourself that these small machines can't do serious work... they are a big step up from what you have been doing until now. For instance, I regularly box blade a 100 year old hard pan gravel road with the BX that does the job just as well as the much larger Grand L with its box blade.

I won't tell you what to buy because I don't know you or your place, but you owe it to yourself to at least check out the BX and other competing subcompacts before writing them off. There are so many owners of these little machines who work them hard and get a lot done.

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #7  
With the proper HST Fan shielding on a BX25D it should do all you have been doing, especially since you have been getting by with a garden tractor. Other than the low ground clearance, reports by owners state it does a lot for a small size. It wont be much larger than you garden tractor but with 4 WD it will certainly pull a lot more and with a backhoe, it will surely do anything that you need done.

While the BX would certainly be a good choice, personally I would go with the B series or larger because it will give you more ground clearance for sure and with a light weight bush hog , it will certainly do a lot for trail maintenance. I don't think I would go for a belly mower to maintain trails. I think a good rear finish mower would work for your lawn for any of the tractors that you decide to get and a bush hog for the woods trails.

With 40 acres, even if all or most in woods, I would go for a 35-40 HP tractor. But that is just me talking. My smallest tractor is a B26 TLB and it is my most used tractor but it is a bit small for some tree pulling/lifting activities so I go to the P 7010 for tree clean up when a storm comes thru.

I realize my posts didn't help you any in a decision on what to buy, mainly because I have no idea what your plans are. If you plan to clean up the woods and underbrush it, get rid of smaller invasive trees etc, then a BX or B will be too small. But if you plan to continue on as you have been doing, then a BX or B series would work plenty well.

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #8  
As James k0ua suggests, read some threads by others, I would include JOHNTHOMAS and bp fick as they have owned both B and BX. We own a BX2200 and BX2660, but only because we have bigger tractors available when need.

The BX is an amazingly versatile tractor, but the low 8" ground clearance hurts it in some woods. Many are surprised at the amount of work that can be done with them, but for many of us there comes a break-off point where there really is too much seat time.

Traveling from point A to point B over unimproved fields and roadways can get old pretty quick as one ages. There was a time when I didn't bother to bring a bigger tractor from another farm unless I needed the 10' cutter, but those days are long gone.

I wish I could be of more help, but for your use, in my opinion, any one machine is going to be a compromise; only you can decide with what you are willing to live.

/ Back again...couple of years later...same question :) #9  
Somehow I don't have a photo of my BX with the loader and an attachment on my 10' single axle trailer, but I assure you it does fit so it can be hauled around. It is definitely a squeeze, but we've taken it around behind my little Tacoma for years. However I do have the 54" deck since my trailer is only 5' in width. As for quality of cut, it does every bit as good a job as the Deere lawn tractor it replaced, although the mowing we do is hardly putting green quality.

I very much agree with Gary's comment about ground clearance on the little subcompacts. They were not designed for excursions into the boondocks, although they perform like a mountain goat compared to a lawn tractor. Our little BX has recovered more than one hopelessly stuck lawn tractor unable to climb out of a slick spot, as well as some more challenging vehicles.

Maybe the other comment is that on a cost per pound basis, you pay proportionally more for a small machine. There is apparently only so much cost that can be shaved by making a machine smaller since it still has basically all the systems used in larger equipment. In that sense, unless you really need the small size, the best value may be in a somewhat larger model.

Best of luck thinking through your decision.

As I digest above comments and from discussion with dealer...I am wondering if instead of buying a BX series/w/loader and 60 " deck for about $15K plus tax, etc...with the primary use to be larger. rough terrain mowing and secondary use to work with loader and box blade in the woods --- perhaps rather than paying about $2K for the BX mower deck...just go out and buy a JD X500...about $5K. The JD X500 w/48" deck would likely mow quite well and I am not particularly looking for a 60" deck as I am coming out of 20 years with a 42" deck on last two Sears mowers.

My thought process is that if I dedicated the JD X500 "Multi Terrain Tractor" as a dedicated mower for trail and field mowing I could then look at maybe slightly larger Compact tractors as more "use appropriate" for "tractor" applications out in my woods and contiguous to my fields...w/o having to pay for a belly mower deck at that time and keep higher clearance at all times?

IF I were NOT trying to buy a belly mower deck for mowing with my tractor I would likely look more closely at B series and maybe more likely at the L series 30-40HP category...more weight and HP with ability to have medium and heavy duty 60" attachments...as needed.

As I recall...many comment over the posts I have read..."You may need to have two to accomplish all you are trying to do with one".

Boy, can I rationalize whichever way I am leaning :) Your thoughts??? Thanks...TMR