Back-Country Aviation

/ Back-Country Aviation #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
While learning about modern small bush-planes, I came across references to Trent's case. Short video, where he briefly summarizes the incident that launched the case:

Intended, or not, the ongoing impact (pun not intended) of the direction the FAA has taken, sounds significant.

Rgds, D.

/ Back-Country Aviation #2  
While learning about modern small bush-planes, I came across references to Trent's case. Short video, where he briefly summarizes the incident that launched the case:

Intended, or not, the ongoing impact (pun not intended) of the direction the FAA has taken, sounds significant.

Rgds, D.
Maybe I'm the only one who knew nothing about this, but here is a link to a site which I felt best shows what the case is about.

/ Back-Country Aviation
I'm not an aviator (though I wish my pockets were deep enough to be one !), so I'm only guessing when I say that there may be multiple reasons (other than an unfamiliar strip) for doing an Inspection Pass.

I posted in Safety (IIRC) an incident where a pilot didn't see a tractor cutting grass at an airstrip, and killed the woman on the tractor.

I'd seen references to this case last Winter, and checked this video today to see where it was at. As I understand it, the precedence this case sets if it ultimately goes against Trent will mean that back-country pilots will be under more pressure to execute a landing that they otherwise might abort.

Not being tower-directed, it's seems logical to me that the pilot should not be legally constrained into making sub-optimal choices.

Rgds, D.

/ Back-Country Aviation #4  
Total BS if a pilot can't do a pass over to check the strip.

I'm not a pilot but alot of my friends had their own planes. I couldn't afford one and besides, I got free rides....

/ Back-Country Aviation
Total BS if a pilot can't do a pass over to check the strip.

I get the intent of what the FAA is trying to guard against..... bottom-gun juniors buzzing things they shouldn't, just for kicks. This case of Trent's may be nothing more than a knee-jerk over-litigation response, to one member of the public complaining......

Rgds, D.

/ Back-Country Aviation #6  
Karen needs a good kick in the ass and hope common sense sprouts.

A pilot would be irresponsible if he doesn't do a flyover on a Unregulated strip.

/ Back-Country Aviation
As stated, I don't pilot planes.

I do ride motorcycles, on and off-road. Where I can relate to being a Pilot - you have to be All-In, All The Time ; ie. FULLY engaged in ALL aspects of what you are doing. Or, don't do the activity.

Training, Professionalism, Safety-focus ; I'm all behind those foundation-stones of moderate/high risk activities.

I can't put it better, than Mike does, in this:

Rgds, D.

/ Back-Country Aviation #8  
He's not joking.

One friend taught me basically how to take off and do a controlled crash in case something happened to him.

Altitude and weight he covered alot. Also making sure strip is clear. Not everyone in AK has radios

/ Back-Country Aviation #9  
This is in the 50's...my future Dad had a 2 seater Piper which he used to date my future Mom (I wasn't there - - - yet!).

Did a flyover (a buzz) of the landing area on a remote sand beach on Lake Ontario and then landed to watch the sunset.

He back-walked the landing path...found a washed up board on the beach with nails sticking up just 12 inches away from the plane's tire tracks.

We never know how close we walk the edge.

/ Back-Country Aviation
This is in the 50's...my future Dad had a 2 seater Piper which he used to date my future Mom (I wasn't there - - - yet!).

Did a flyover (a buzz) of the landing area on a remote sand beach on Lake Ontario and then landed to watch the sunset.

He back-walked the landing path...found a washed up board on the beach with nails sticking up just 12 inches away from the plane's tire tracks.

We never know how close we walk the edge.
Dating, back-when..... although a suddenly flat tire + nose-over could have been bad, a flat-tire would have been a variation of "We ran out of gas", as an excuse to be out-late ! :cool:

The Edge.... better to See It, and choose, or Not Know. A good question.

It was scheduled to retire anyway, but the final fiery flight of the Concorde was caused by a small part that fell off a previous plane, and was sitting on the runway..... way too small a part to see, @ the Concorde's take-off speed.

Rgds, D.